DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: American Dad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:30 am 

It doesn't deserve credit for influencing these cartoons, but it helped pave the way from the perspective of the network.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:52 am 

Human wrote:
Ren and Stimpy: 1991
Spirit of Christmas: 1992, so they were probably working on it since 91 anyway.
Beavis and Butthead: 1993

There's no way in hell that Beavis and Butthead deserves credit for paving the way for South Park or any other controversial cartoon, and really... that all started way before any of these guys, especially allegedly on the subliminal level (Not even always subliminal either, and I'm talking about Walt if that's not obvious)

I know, I'm talking about the more 'adult' oriented cartoon stuff (FG, Simpsons, SP, Futurama, etc.). I dont think Ren & Stimpy really fall under that category. It wasn't satirical like Beavis & Butt-Head.
The Simpsons and B&BH laid the groundwork for adult oriented satirical cartoons. The Simpsons more for the general idea of it, and B&BH more for the cursing and 'controversial' aspects.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:33 pm 

I grew up with Beavis & Butthead too and in no way do I believe it deserves any credit for being controversial, at all. I don't remember any sort of controversy regarding the show as I was growing up. What I do recall was people dissing the show for being infantile and just overall stupid, but not controversial. I mean, it wasn't really offensive to anyone. Cursing in cartoons was hardly a novelty, and even less a significant issue, since other shows like The Simpsons had already shown cartoons could be just as directed towards adults as they were towards children.

South Park, on the other hand, was pretty bold in their approaches, satirizing everything imaginable from the celebrity world to religion to violence to political views, and did it with heavily equipped material, which could very well be taken as offensive by the more purist people, since they were strongly elaborate parodies. The incessant cursing here actually contributed in making these satires have a really deep impact, too. People start taking satires on religion a lot more seriously when strong language is used in the process, for instance, so that was really the point where people started having a different outlook at cursing in cartoons, I believe. It was also a much better show, having excellent writing and being able to create the most unimaginably out-of-this-world characters and situations, while maintaining their satirical approach. Trey and Matt are nothing short of geniuses, and it's precisely the way they made a critically acclaimed, well-crafted show with such strongly controversial topics that gives South Park all the credit for paving the way for more outrageous and ambitious cartoons in terms of what they could include in their episodes.

Beavis & Butthead, while generally well-received, was not nearly as successful as South Park in this aspect. Its premise was a lot more simplistic, so, while I do find an entertaining show, I really don't think it deserves any sort of label such as groundbreaking or spectacular in any way, unlike South Park.

One question though, why is this being discussed in the American Dad thread?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:48 am 

Lostio wrote:
I grew up with Beavis & Butthead too and in no way do I believe it deserves any credit for being controversial, at all. I don't remember any sort of controversy regarding the show as I was growing up. What I do recall was people dissing the show for being infantile and just overall stupid, but not controversial. I mean, it wasn't really offensive to anyone. Cursing in cartoons was hardly a novelty, and even less a significant issue, since other shows like The Simpsons had already shown cartoons could be just as directed towards adults as they were towards children.

I'm not sure where you grew up, but it was constantly being criticized by parents, teachers, etc.
The big thing was they thought it was leading to destructive behavior from adolescents, and just generally a bad influence on younger people in society. Kind of a 'brain wahsing' thing, that's the kind of stuff they were bashing it for.
I remember, plain as day, an actual newspaper article about how some kid started a fire and burned down his house, after watching an episode of the show.
I remember a lot of stuff like that. The show was controversial and really ahead of it's time.

Quote:
South Park, on the other hand, was pretty bold in their approaches, satirizing everything imaginable from the celebrity world to religion to violence to political views

But Beavis & Butt-Head was such a brilliant satire of the 'immature young misfit' concept.
I also think they satirized those exact things you cite South Park for.

Quote:
and did it with heavily equipped material, which could very well be taken as offensive by the more purist people, since they were strongly elaborate parodies.

Elaborate? South Park? Talk about a contradiction in terms, imo...
Could you explain that one a little more? I'm just curious because I think you're one of the smartest posters we have on DDD.
Remember our classic 'Jaws/Exorcist' debate?
(You won though, bastard... :lol: )

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:58 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
I'm not sure where you grew up, but it was constantly being criticized by parents, teachers, etc.
The big thing was they thought it was leading to destructive behavior from adolescents, and just generally a bad influence on younger people in society. Kind of a 'brain wahsing' thing, that's the kind of stuff they were bashing it for.
I remember, plain as day, an actual newspaper article about how some kid started a fire and burned down his house, after watching an episode of the show.
I remember a lot of stuff like that. The show was controversial and really ahead of it's time.

Negative Creep is right on this.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:35 am 

People said similar things about the fucking Teletubbies.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:54 am 

Then show me an article where a child did something very dangerous because he saw it on Teletubbies.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:57 am 

Is it enough to say I remember one "plain as day"?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:19 am 

What, am I supposed to have saved the article from 15 years ago?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:01 am 

I'm teasing. I don't doubt you saw that article, as I've seen similar nonsense in newspapers over the years. The reason I brought up Teletubbies is because both drew criticism from parents and educators for being bad influences and neither are inherently controversial.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:11 am 

I don't, for the life of me, understand how Teletubbies could possibly be considered a bad influence. On....anyone.

And yeah Beavis And Butt-Head wasn't intended to be controversial, but it had an effect nonetheless.

Oh yeah, just HOW MANY fucking people imitated that Great Cornholio schtick?
It got to a point where that was just annoying (and I never found it that funny to begin with).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:28 pm 

Steve: "You come near me and I'll swallow everything in the medicine cabinet! Uppers, downers, stool hardeners, stool softeners....my stool won't know what to do!"

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:31 pm 

Just die already.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:08 pm 

"A Jones For A Smith" has got to be the funniest episode in the series. Stan as a crack-head is just too much...

I told you, I don't need love! I need crack!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:55 pm 

Stan is the best...I always used to say it was Roger but Stan is much more consistently funny.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8