DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Psychedelic Artists
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:34 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
I question the inclusion of The Doors and Santana here. Neither one were overly psychedelic, and merely 'tinkered' with the style, rather than exploring it.

I can kind of see the point WRT Santana, but to me the Doors are a key psychedelic band. Most of their material has at least some psych component, and things like "Light My Fire" (with the long instrumental part), "Not To Touch The Earth", "Break On Through", "People Are Strange", "Strange Days", and so on are essential psych records.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:59 pm 

I disagree.
Of all their albums, only Strange Days is a true psych album. The only psychedelic moments from the debut are End Of The Night and The End.
There's a few more scattered psych songs throughout their catalogue, but they have a total of like probably 10-12 psychedelic songs, at best.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:37 pm 

What would you call psychedelic then? Two short definitions:

Wikipedia wrote:
Psychedelic music (sometimes psychedelia[1]) covers a range of popular music styles and genres, which are inspired by or influenced by psychedelic culture and which attempt to replicate and enhance the mind-altering experiences of psychedelic drugs. It emerged during the mid 1960s among folk rock and blues rock bands in the United States and Britain. It often used new recording techniques and effects and drew on non-Western sources such as the ragas and drones of Indian music. It spread into psychedelic folk, psychedelic rock, psychedelic pop and psychedelic soul in the 1960s before declining in the early 1970s.

Allmusic wrote:
Psychedelic rock emerged in the mid-'60s, as British Invasion and folk-rock bands began expanding the sonic possibilities of their music. Instead of confining themselves to the brief, concise verse-chorus-verse patterns of rock & roll, they moved toward more free-form, fluid song structures. Just as important -- if not more so -- the groups began incorporating elements of Indian and Eastern music and free-form jazz to their sound, as well as experimenting with electronically altering instruments and voices within the recording studio. Initially, around 1965 and 1966, bands like the Yardbirds and the Byrds broke down the boundaries for psychedelia, creating swirling layers of fuzz-toned guitars, sitars, and chanted vocals. Soon, numerous groups followed their pattern, including the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, both of whom recorded psychedelia in 1966. In no time, groups on both sides of the Atlantic embraced the possibilities of the new genre, and the differences were notable. In Britain, psychedelia tended to be whimsical and surrealistic. Nevertheless, bands -- most notably Pink Floyd and Traffic -- played extended instrumentals that relied on improvisation as much as their American contemporaries the Grateful Dead, the Doors, Love, and Jefferson Airplane. In other corners of America, garage bands began playing psychedelic rock without abandoning their raw, amateurish foundation of three-chord rock -- they just layered in layers of distortion, feedback, and effects.

Both The Doors' and Santana's psychedelic era work fits into those definitions pretty neatly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:27 pm 

Oh also, the list is on the site now

http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_ ... delic.html

myself, pauldrach and Brett Alan are listed as the editors :cheers:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:03 pm 

piper wrote:
Oh also, the list is on the site now

http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_ ... delic.html

myself, pauldrach and Brett Alan are listed as the editors :cheers:

OK, I wasn't expecting that! :cool:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:20 am 

http://www.allmusic.com/search/all/%3F+%26+the+mysterians

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:40 am 

Moving this discussion here from the Psychedelic Songs thread:

Negative Creep wrote:
pauldrach wrote:
The United States of America are at #13.

And that one psychedelic album was also the only one they ever released, unlike The Who, in whose case their one psychedelic album was only about a fraction of their entire career.

I don't see why that would matter. The Who's psychedelic output may be bigger than the USA's (just to make sure: I'm referring to the band here). Why would recording non-psychedelic stuff disqualify them?

Negative Creep wrote:
Sure, but I dont see what impact or effect it really had on psychedelia of the time.

The Who are down at #40. I already acknowledged they (and also the Stones) are a little too high and probably belong rather in the 50-60 range, but seriously, tell me which artist's psychedelic ouput below say #58 beats The Who's by the criteria?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:06 pm 

The Who shouldn't be above Silver Apples and Procol Harum. It simply doesn't look right.