DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Directors
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:15 pm 

you will... it's just a shame we don't have active editors for movie lists like we do for music

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:46 pm 

I'd do it. Pity nobody really posts here, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:01 pm 

The conversation can be valuable. Especially if Double D continues this.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:02 pm 

Just joined DDD and am happy to contribute. I'd like to see this thread continue, too. Some of my favorite directors: Werner Herzog (pretty much everything), Nicolas Winding Refn (Antichrist, Valhalla Rising--if nothing else for the visual beauty of his films), Lars von Trier (Melancholia), Hayao Miyazaki, Christopher Nolan, Fritz Lang, Wes Anderson, Martin Scorsese, David Mamet, Joel and Ethan Coen, Terrance Malik, Francis Ford Coppola, Orson Welles, Peter Weir, Peter Jackson, and many others. My tastes are eclectic, though I run from romantic comedies in general (may be a chick, but don't like "chick flicks"). Always appreciative of a film that I don't figure out within the first 30 minutes, I'm really terrible about that. Happy endings are always optional and can't stand it when it's obvious that the director went goes that direction just to placate the audience and when it makes me wish I'd left the theatre ten minutes early ("Adventureland" comes to mind). We have a library of over 600 DVD's and an 11' fixed projection screen built by Stewart Screens and love our movies. I'm hoping to find new films to watch (new to me, anyway) on these boards.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:17 pm 

antichrist is lars von trier. i think you included it one director spot too early on accident.

and you'll probably find new films to watch. and good call on adventureland haha. very true, even though i like it a lot. and you're lucky to have a projector. one day i will have a personal home theater room like that. one day.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:26 pm 

Glad to have another film lover aboard! :cool:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:54 pm 

and she's a girl to boot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:41 am 

eSCKWID wrote:
Just joined DDD and am happy to contribute. I'd like to see this thread continue, too. Some of my favorite directors: Werner Herzog (pretty much everything), Nicolas Winding Refn (Antichrist, Valhalla Rising--if nothing else for the visual beauty of his films), Lars von Trier (Melancholia), Hayao Miyazaki, Christopher Nolan, Fritz Lang, Wes Anderson, Martin Scorsese, David Mamet, Joel and Ethan Coen, Terrance Malik, Francis Ford Coppola, Orson Welles, Peter Weir, Peter Jackson, and many others. My tastes are eclectic, though I run from romantic comedies in general (may be a chick, but don't like "chick flicks"). Always appreciative of a film that I don't figure out within the first 30 minutes, I'm really terrible about that. Happy endings are always optional and can't stand it when it's obvious that the director went goes that direction just to placate the audience and when it makes me wish I'd left the theatre ten minutes early ("Adventureland" comes to mind). We have a library of over 600 DVD's and an 11' fixed projection screen built by Stewart Screens and love our movies. I'm hoping to find new films to watch (new to me, anyway) on these boards.

:thumb: Awesome taste!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:50 pm 

eSCKWID wrote:

Glad to see another David Mamet fan. Homicide was for the win. House of Games was also pretty cool. Man, I can watch Joe Mantegna say David Mamet lines all day long. He needs to be in more movies. And the dialogue in Glangarry Glen Ross is just like music in my ears. Could have done with a more polished visual style though, but there is no dialogue in that movie that isn't simply brilliant.

I saw Redbelt the other day and I thought it was a piece of shit Though Ricky Jay (don't you just love Ricky Jay?) does deliver what is possibly my all time favourite Mamet line. Wish I could find a good YTlink for that

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:23 am 

working list

1. ozu
2. bresson

almost done, give me feedback

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:18 am 

is the theme most tr00 directors?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:39 am 

Does anyone know where I can get some Ozu flicks over the Internet? All I have is a copy of Tokyo Story with no subtitles.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:09 am 

You can download subtitles online.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:58 am 

You need to get a Rapidshare account and then make an account at warez-bb.org and you're good to go. Foreign films will pretty much always have English subs included in the RAR archive. It's like every fucking movie is on there. And if you don't find it, try your luck on Filestube.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:11 am 

Thanks, man. :biggrin:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next