Post subject: Family Guy
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:42 am 

Talk about Family Guy here.

Post subject: Re: Family Guy
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:46 am 

No

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:57 am 
Jesus christ....it's not perfect but it's not a bad show.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:43 am 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Actually it kinda is. Especially after the first like 4 seasons.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:07 am 
Complaining bitches who bitch about everything and can't learn to relax. FG is far from perfect but fuck off if you think it's terrible.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:08 am 
Afterall.........this is a Family Guy thread....it's not a thread for you to show how much you hate it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:42 am 

It's a show with occasional moments of brilliance, but because it's soooooooooo hit and miss it's very fustrating for me to try and watch nowadays.

I was impressed by that animation sequence where Brian has a bad acid trip, I thought that was surprisingly imaginative for Family Guy, much so that I decided to watch the whole episode.

And it might be one of the most infuriating episodes I've ever seen. Brian tripping on shrooms is just the subplot, the main plot is that Meg finally stands up to her family for their constant abuse and neglect of her throughout the years. There's very few actual gags in this episode so I'm convinced that it's Seth's attempt to take the show into a more serious direction.

I think Meg getting fed up is a great fucking premise for an episode and a great way to finally develop her character... but they totally fucking blew it.

After telling Peter, Lois and Chris how abusive, neglectful and hypocritical they all are, they begin fighting with each other and so out of nowhere Meg decides that her family needs her to "absorb all the dysfunction" and take all their fustrations out on her and without her they would all turn on each other, so she ends up apologising to everyone, followed by a big group hug. Stewie tells us this was a special episode and que credits, and you know that none of this is gonna matter next episode

This episode is so contrived and so phony and so full of shit, it addresses something people have criticized the show for forever and does so in such a backhanded and incredibly lazy way.

The problem with how Meg is treated in the show isn't that you can't make child abuse funny, yes you know where I'm going with this. Homer has been strangling Bart for years, and it's still fucking funny, and yet when a good episode focuses on their father-son relationship it doesn't feel contrived or artificial, because good writing can avoid that pitfall. The Simpsons actually has characters that I can afford to care about. Yeah Homer is a neglectful idiot but not to the point where he comes off as a total sociopath, which is basically what Peter is now. Bart is the kind of kid any parent would be fustrated with, so Homer's fustration with him makes perfect sense.

The way the entire Griffin family treats Meg like shit at every given opportunity makes no sense. I know that's part of the joke. I know the writers turned Meg into the show's punching bag because she was by far the least funny and least interesting character in the show and they needed something to do with her, and that's why we're supposed to be ok with it no matter how mean spirited the family gets.

I'd like to see what would happen if Family Guy was turned over to better writers and if they could possibly redeem the Griffins, I don't think they could.

Last edited by boo boo on Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:54 am 

boo boo wrote:
The way the entire Griffin family treats Meg like shit at every given opportunity makes no sense. I know that's part of the joke. I know the writers turned Meg into the show's punching bag because she was by far the least funny and least interesting character in the show and they needed something to do with her, and that's why we're supposed to be ok with it no matter how mean spirited the family gets.

Agreed. Although, I think Chris is about as unfunny as Meg.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:03 am 

I dunno, Chris has some pretty funny moments, particularly the Star Wars parodies, and when he finally asks Herbert if he's a pedophile. :lol:

The way I see it now, the best Family Guy episodes and the best gags are the ones that focus on Stewie and Brian, their relationship is the only one in the show that has remained interesting.

I still think Family Guy was good in it's first 5 seasons, before the show got waaaaaaaaaaay too carried away with shock value and overly long gags.

Last edited by boo boo on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:22 am 

Quite possibly my favorite 'adult' cartoon, after the Simpsons of course.

Black Zep, I foresee a multi-page flame war between you/Sodacake/boo boo.....
I've been in enough of those so I'm staying out of it... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:49 am 

There are couple of very funny moments in Family Guy, but it is definitely pretty hit-and-miss.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:02 am 

The one where the Griffin family turns into a singing group, with Meg as the star, was fucking hilarious. Classic FG.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:08 am 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:14 pm 

this show was alright, then it went away, then they showed every episode on adult swim for like five years and burned the rewatch value down to zero, then it came back and sucked sucked sucked, only people are idiots so they made two (three?) spinoffs, and now it's 2012 and the world is going to end without Family Guy dying the unceremonious death it richly deserves

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:19 pm 

yah that's too bad man.

Anyway, I've always loved this one...