DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Parliament - Mothership Connection (1975)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:07 pm 

By request from Mitchell New Zealand:

1. "P. Funk (Wants to Get Funked Up)" 7:41
2. "Mothership Connection (Star Child)" 6:13
3. "Unfunky UFO" 4:23
4."Supergroovalisticprosifunkstication" 5:03
5. "Handcuffs" 4:02
6. "Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof off the Sucker)" 5:46
7. "Night of the Thumpasorus Peoples" 5:10

I was hesitant to make this revew at first because I was concerned that people would ignore my Dr. Funkenstein and Funkentelechy reviews and only read this one. However, considering that they were basically ignored anyways (especially the Dr. Funkenstein review), then I thought, "what the hell's the difference?". So, here we go.

Other than Maggot Brain and One Nation Under a Groove, Mothership Connection is probably the most well known P-Funk album. This album is so funky and weird and in your face it's almost like a characature of an outlandish funk album. Star Child, with the help of a cast of characters is trying to spread the gospel of the funk throughout the universe. Basically, if you're not shaking your booty to a cornucopia of slap bass, horns, keys, drumming, back up singers, et al, then maybe you need to do some soul searching. Star Child is here to help. As humanity, we need to come together and create such a collective energy so that this alone can power the Mothership to blast off and we can live in an eternal funky conciousness among the stars. I guess this is George Clnton's drug addled version of heaven, and to be honest, it actually sounds pretty awesome.

In my opinion, probably the best attribute of this album is that it ushered forth a golden age of live excellance for the band. Clinton, the puppet master, took the opportunity to use each concert as a microcosm of his funk utopia. He actually had a fake spaceship built and took it on tour. At the climax of Mothership Connection/Swing Down Sweet Chariot, Tragic Hero Glen Goins (who's untimely death at 24 is described in my previous review) would use his gritty, soulful voice to call in the Mothership, which would blast into the funk cosmos. But don't take my word for it:

Here's what happens when you take a lot of drugs

And just for shits and giggles, I'll throw in this classic P-Funk performance (I bet you've never seen a guy wearing diapers rip a guitar solo like this before):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ril94tt0YGA

Post subject: Re: Parliament - Mothership Connection (1975)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:46 am 

hahaha i just watched bop gun from this show. hilarious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:06 am 

Great review, San. This is definitely the album that got me into the band, the moment that bass dropped (ugh I sound like a Skrillex fan) on Wants to get Funked Up I was absolutely hooked.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:33 pm 

zephead8 wrote:
hahaha i just watched bop gun from this show. hilarious

I fucking LOVE Bop Gun.

On guard! Defend yourself!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:29 pm 

Funk can't not only move, it can re-move. The desired effect is what you get, when you improve your interplanetary funksmanship.

Soul Clan > Wu Tang Clan
P-Funk > G-Funk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:35 am 

[500,000 kilowatts of P-Funk power]

One of those albums where you have to ask yourself, what is there left to say? This is where the dam burst, with their first top 20 album AND their first top 20 single. And the first album with Fred Wesley and the Horny Horns featuring Maceo Parker (try saying that three times fast).

Only hinted at before, p-funk mythology emerges fully developed. This is the American version of Ziggy and the Electric Warrior. You see any line from this album on a t-shirt and you automatically know you're meeting a kindred spirit.

The opening track alone would give birth to an entire sub-genre of hip-hop. Has any one group had a bigger influence on the genre?

[Once upon a time called now]

Can't get played on the radio? Start your broadcasting your own station, WEFUNK, not from a ship - but from the Mothership. Lollipop Man announces the arrival of the extraterrestrial brothers (And we go all the way back to their debut; remember that they are not of our world, but they mean us no harm).

[If you hear any noise]

The Mothership brings us Starchild, the messianic recording angel, here to reclaim the pyramids and promote salvation through funk.

[Gonna take your funk and make it mine]

The Unkfunky UFO comes to earth to save their dying planet. They're not after water or gold. They require our most precious resource - that waaaay back yonder funk.

[Do the throw down]

Supergroova... harkens back to earlier albums with its mantra lyrics where only the funk can stop mindless consumerism; free your mind and your @$$ will follow. Love that FUNKY synthesizer!

[Get down and take off your shoes girl]

Handcuffs is a mid-tempo tale of obsessive love, even creepier than Every Breath You Take. Love those horns.

[There's a whole lot of rhythm going down]

As with many concept albums, the focus of the narrative shifts to a demanding audience on Give Up the Funk. Another great showcase for the Horny Horns.

[I am up, are we high?]

The album closes with the mindless dancefloor groove of Night. But is it mindless? We learn on later albums, that the Thumpasorus People are those who held truest to the funk.

As with many song cycles, the concept seems to break down near the end. But everytime I hear this album, I think The Man Who Fell To Earth as much as I do Ziggy Stardust.

If Starchild is Newton, is Handcuffs his relationship with Mary-Lou? Is Supergroova Starchild getting tempted by consumerism? Is the crowd in Give Up the Funk just one step away from killing Starchild ala Ziggy? But instead of Newton's failure, Starchild triumphs.

But it goes even deeper still. This is Sun-Ra and his Angel Race from Saturn. This is Ezekiel going to heaven and back in the Chariot of the Gods (Swing down, sweet chariot, stop and let ME ride!). Or am I reeeeeeally overthinking this?

My rating? Do you really have to ask? The singing, the production, the concept, the bass, the keyboards, the best horns in all of music; what's not to like? A