DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diablo/Warcraft/Starcraft thread
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:02 pm 

I didn't think a plain Diablo thread would work, so i'm putting in Blizzard's other two franchises into one thread.

Except for World of Warcraft, that can get its own thread. The "Warcraft" we're talking about here are the three RTS games.

Post subject: Re: Diablo/Warcraft/Starcraft thread
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:13 pm 

Diablo II is Blizzard's masterpiece. Very disappointed to see the approach they've taken with III from an artistic perspective. The oppressive atmosphere is gone.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:22 pm 

Omg, if I hear this argument one more time I'm going to fucking shoot someone. If you think the artistic design is any different from D1 or D2, you're an idiot. They're showed how the levels progress, and how it becomes bleaker as the game moves on.

Also, who the fuck wants to look at the same brown/black screen for 100+ hours? Not me, that's for fucking sure.

Starcraft II owns btw.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:28 pm 

Uh, the art style has changed. Look at the fucking character models why don't you. They look like some Warcraft pieces of shit with ridiculous proportions.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:56 pm 

Blizzard is making the game isometrical just like the last two because they listened to the fans. Only the cutscenes will be WoW-esque.

I actually think the gameplay stills and footage we've seen so far for D3 look pretty cool.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:28 pm 

Curiosity wrote:
Uh, the art style has changed. Look at the fucking character models why don't you. They look like some Warcraft pieces of shit with ridiculous proportions.
Piper just told you to stfu. Faggot. Keep your mouth shut.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:40 pm 

Curiosity wrote:

Because realistic preportions is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to a fantasy game featuring elves, dwarves and trolls.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:00 pm 

Diablo's roots are partially horror, shitstain.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:15 pm 

Ah yes, horror, another genre famed for it's groundbreaking realism.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:23 pm 

Being fantastical doesn't obviate the need for appealing character designs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:59 am 

Did I ever say that?

Are we now saying that characters have to look realistic to be appealing?

Heh, remember when video games didn't have to be realistic? I sure do.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:36 pm 

Curiosity wrote:
Diablo II is Blizzard's masterpiece. Very disappointed to see the approach they've taken with III from an artistic perspective. The oppressive atmosphere is gone.

D2's atmosphere is anything but bleak. D1 has always been my favorite. Where D1 feels like a survival horror, D2 feels like an adventure game. I disagree Itlan, D3 does progress to be a bit darker, but it really doesn't have anything on D1. A lot of it has nothing to do with the visual choices though. The sound design was much scarier in D1, especially the music. Levels were much more cramped, Enemies were sparser, etc. These are the bigger factors to the lack of an atmosphere I think. In D2 it became all about spamming skills to kill hordes of enemies in big wide open areas. The game doesn't actually get scary (difficulty wise) until Hell difficulty. Drops are much more common in D2, gold is meaningless, etc. It became more about making the perfect build rather than killing monsters, which I think is much more fun.

piper wrote:
Blizzard is making the game isometrical just like the last two because they listened to the fans. Only the cutscenes will be WoW-esque.

I actually think the gameplay stills and footage we've seen so far for D3 look pretty cool.

Actually, it's not isometric, the camera is just zoomed out and over the top. The The gameplay does look good. It's travelling further down the path D2 forged. I certainly don't think it's going in a bad direction, but I do think it's even less scary. I don't like the health globe mechanic, I think it rewards killing as many enemies as quickly as you can and it makes life steal virtually pointless. I prefer to progress slowly in these games and take my time.

Forgotten Son wrote:
Being fantastical doesn't obviate the need for appealing character designs.

I agree that the character designs are a little meh. I always thought the Barbarian was a stupid class, and that's the only one they brought back. I'm really disappointed in the Monk class, it looks hella cool, but the gameplay looks like the Assassin rehashed. The Withchdoctor looks okay, but again, I think they're just rehashing ideas from the previous games and trying to be clever with the visual design. The Witchdoctor just looks goofy. The wizard is also a bit goofy too. I prefer the Amazon to the Demon Hunter by far. Dual wielding crossbows is again, just goofy. I like the choices you had with the Amazon there were three completely different gameplay routes you could take depending on the weapon you wanted to main, and it created some cool styles when you mixed them. The Demon Hunter is just another ranged class it seems.

boo boo wrote:
Did I ever say that?

Are we now saying that characters have to look realistic to be appealing?

Heh, remember when video games didn't have to be realistic? I sure do.

Boobs, you're twisting words here, FS literally said that the character designs need to be appealing, regardless of how fantastical or realistic they are. He didn't say anything about realism, and I agree. Of coarse it doesn't help that the characters have these weird exaggerated proportions when more realistic proportions add to the horror of the game. That doesn't mean it's essential, but it's been tested time and time again--games are more scary the more realistic they are. But I would argue that D3 isn't going in a horror direction, like I said it's going in a more adventure direction.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:39 pm 

DII was certainly much more bleak and dark than DIII still. It has stripped away many of the horror elements present in the first game of course, but it still had some creepy locales, especially in Act I and Act III.

Diablo 2 is my favourite overall because of the online component, but in terms of the single player experience, the first game is vastly superior. I remember being like 5 or something and nearly shitting my pants when I came across The Butcher's lair. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:51 pm 

That was the original Diablo, but i sorta did too.

The new warcraft commercial fooled me the first time i watched it... I thought it was for d3. :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:24 pm 

boo boo wrote:
Did I ever say that?

You implied it. Curiosity says he doesn't like the new art style because the character designs are too out of proportion and unrealistic and you responded by saying that because it's fantasy/horror then it shouldn't matter.