DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Family Bands/Groups
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:24 pm 

Yeah, but the Mael brothers were the only official members of Sparks. I'd certainly count them for this list.

You're right about the Ramones, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

Ike & Tina Turner
Delaney & Bonnie
John Lennon & Yoko Ono
Paul & Linda McCartney
Carly Simon & James Taylor
Johnny Cash & June Carter
Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis, Jr.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:33 pm 

Sweethearts Of The Rodeo
The Sylvers
The Hudson Brothers
The Roches

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:25 pm 

Maybe start coherently ordering these artists, ya know?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:09 pm 

How could I forget...The Vincent Sisters. OK...you're all asking just WHO are the Vincent Sisters? Before you hit your Google button I must confess I'm a bit partial and feel they deserve a spot on this list.

The Vincent Sisters are Joyce and Pam. As young women, they sang backup on hundreds of Detroit recordings in the late 60's and early 70's including being the principal backup singers for Holland Dozier Hollands (after they left Motown) Invictus Records...sort of like The Andantes were at Motown. Shortly thereafter, the Vincent Sisters were recruited by Tony Orland to join another Detroit singer, Thelma Hopkins and form the group Tony Orlando & Dawn, which had already started recording. Joyce (a dear friend of mine) joined Thelma onstage with Tony...but Pams voice was also on all the recordings. Following the Dawn thing...Joyce and Pam continued singing backup as a team on many L.A. based recordings. Joyce is currently performing with the FLOS (Former Ladies Of The Supremes with Sherrie Payne on lead) and Pam and Joyce are still doing sessions with a variety of performers. That's The Vincent Sisters. Hope they deserve a spot on the list.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:13 pm 

Tavares

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:16 pm 

StuBass wrote:
How could I forget...The Vincent Sisters. OK...you're all asking just WHO are the Vincent Sisters? Before you hit your Google button I must confess I'm a bit partial and feel they deserve a spot on this list.

The Vincent Sisters are Joyce and Pam. As young women, they sang backup on hundreds of Detroit recordings in the late 60's and early 70's including being the principal backup singers for Holland Dozier Hollands (after they left Motown) Invictus Records...sort of like The Andantes were at Motown. Shortly thereafter, the Vincent Sisters were recruited by Tony Orland to join another Detroit singer, Thelma Hopkins and form the group Tony Orlando & Dawn, which had already started recording. Joyce (a dear friend of mine) joined Thelma onstage with Tony...but Pams voice was also on all the recordings. Following the Dawn thing...Joyce and Pam continued singing backup as a team on many L.A. based recordings. Joyce is currently performing with the FLOS (Former Ladies Of The Supremes with Sherrie Payne on lead) and Pam and Joyce are still doing sessions with a variety of performers. That's The Vincent Sisters. Hope they deserve a spot on the list.

They don't belong IMO. Even if they had made their own records as the Vincent Sisters, they were not popular or significant enough as a band or a group to be on this list. They were just background singers who happened to be sisters. Carolyn and Erma Franklin can say the same thing. And they each made their own records too.

And Googling "Vincent Sisters" brings back nothing about these singers. It returns things about some psychics called the Vincent Sisters.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:01 am 

LMAO Bruce...thanks. Anyways...I guess you need to Google Tony Orlando & Dawn, a little known operation that a few people heard of back in the 70's. I've always believed that background singers are people too. A friend of mine' Vickie Wright wrote a book about The Andantes and their often overlooked contributions to the success of The Motown Sound. Joyce and Pam have recorded on many hit records, including their work as Dawn. I do admit that I'm partial, but had I not mentioned them they will most certainly remain largely forgotten, much like The Funk Brothers could have become had a person with a passion had not devoted 20 years of his life for the chance to tell their story. Statistics and charts don't tell the entire story. The people do.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:13 am 

StuBass wrote:
I guess you need to Google Tony Orlando & Dawn, a little known operation that a few people heard of back in the 70's.

Yes, what you say is true. After "Candida" which did not feature the girls, both Vincent Sisters sang on most Dawn records, but there are two other members of Dawn that are not related to each other or to the Vincent Sisters.

They were never solely known as the Vincent Sisters, and even in their backup singing days they were usually joined by at least one other non related voice.

They may be good friends of yours, but they are in no way a family band or group.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:00 am 

ROTFLMAO...thanks Bruce .. :tiphat:.. Actually they work around the L.A. recording scene AS The Vincent Sisters. I assume you may familiar with L.A. studio session singer Jim Gilstrap...one of the most respected studio singers on the L.A. recording scene for decades (records, television, and film) who works extensively with The Vincent Singers. This is not a rating list yet...only gathering potential inclusions on the list...and devil be damned...I'm supporting The Vincent Sisters LOL.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:21 am 

StuBass wrote:
ROTFLMAO...thanks Bruce .. :tiphat:.. Actually they work around the L.A. recording scene AS The Vincent Sisters. I assume you may familiar with L.A. studio session singer Jim Gilstrap...one of the most respected studio singers on the L.A. recording scene for decades (records, television, and film) who works extensively with The Vincent Singers. This is not a rating list yet...only gathering potential inclusions on the list...and devil be damned...I'm supporting The Vincent Sisters LOL.

"Swing Your Daddy" was pretty good by Gilstrap.

Can you point us to one album by anybody where they are credited as the Vincent Sisters, as opposed to each name being listed separately?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:02 am 

Bruce wrote:
StuBass wrote:

Can you point us to one album by anybody where they are credited as the Vincent Sisters, as opposed to each name being listed separately?

The Funk Brothers and The Andantes were never credited on any album either. That's why I'm trying to pull your coat here...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:14 am 

StuBass wrote:
Bruce wrote:
StuBass wrote:

The Funk Brothers and The Andantes were never credited on any album either. That's why I'm trying to pull your coat here...

The Funk Brothers and Andantes are not family groups.

If you want to make a different list of greatest uncredited studio artists that's something different, but for this proposed list they don't belong.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:50 am 

My point on The Funks and The Andantes is that BEFORE they received any recognition they were still who they were and did what they did. The Funks in particular have been added to several lists here, along with Induction to the Musicians Hall Of Fame, Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award, Hollywood Walk Of Fame,etc...ONLY because their story got told. They were no less deserving BEFORE they had a documentary done about them and now numerous articles and
Plattitudes. Someone had to familiarize folks about them before they achieved any recognition from the general public (or DDD for that matter). I'm not writing any books about The Vincent Sisters...yet this is NOT a "Frontman/Frontwoman list but an artists list. Joyce and Pam are artists whose office was and is the recording studio where AS The Vincent Sisters they have been highly regarded performers for decades on some quite significant recordings...particularly with Holland Dozier Hollands Invictus label in Detroit as well as many sessions in L.A...and they ARE sisters...perhaps not the best known act...but in the studio they are highly respected. That's pretty much why I did the brief introductory bio on them, since like those others I've mentioned were unknown to the public as well before their story and musical existance were exposed to the public...but if this is just going to be an elite musical "snobs" list then I can understand their exclusion. BTW...if you google Joyce Vincent Wilson, the article mentions the sisters vocal collaborations LOL.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:12 am 

Ashford & Simpson
The Corrs
The Lennon Sisters
K-Ci & JoJo
Smothers Brothers
The Clark Sisters
Los Lonely Boys
Jonas Brothers
Kate and Anna McGarrigle
Beverley Sisters