DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3083 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 206  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project Treefingers: Work on Ur 2011 Lists
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:50 pm 

Rashed and Will, I could not agree with you guys any more. :godbless:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:14 pm 

That little girl has probably never listened to neutral milk hotel or pavement ap I can't respect her opinion as a music fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:33 pm 

I know when I was in middle school and listened to Blink-182, Smash Mouth, and Barenaked Ladies, I was just as passionate about those artists as I am about my favorite artists now. I fucking knew everything about Blink-182. I wasn't as determined to explore new types of music as I am today, but I was also, like, 12 and file-sharing was only in its infancy. I don't care for those artists anymore, but that doesn't mean I don't still appreciate the pleasure and joy they gave me at the time.

And regarding disliking music, I've never met anyone in person, but the author Vladimir Nabokov didn't care for music. He was synaesthetic, so maybe that had something to do with it (his brain simply wasn't wired to appreciate music?), but he was also just a strange and sometimes belligerent contrarian.

Also, Taylor Swift is awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:44 pm 

chicken sandwich wrote:
That little girl has probably never listened to neutral milk hotel or pavement ap I can't respect her opinion as a music fan

While you're probably right that a nine-year-old hasn't hear those artists, I don't agree with your larger point. For one, almost everyone I know who's my age has heard Neutral Milk Hotel. Like, it's popular with bros at my school. Guys who listen to Jack Johnson and Matchbox 20. And secondly, those artists are significant in the development of indie music in the last fifteen years - a terribly small section and time-period of music in the grand scheme of things. Just on this board alone, a guy like George has probably wider and more eclectic tastes than just about anyone else and if he's heard those two bands, I've never seen him talk about them at all.

And point to the nine-year-old for never having heard Pavement. They suck.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:09 pm 

Tudwell wrote:
For one, almost everyone I know who's my age has heard Neutral Milk Hotel. Like, it's popular with bros at my school. Guys who listen to Jack Johnson and Matchbox 20.

The fuck kind of school do you go to?!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:10 pm 

Tudwell wrote:
chicken sandwich wrote:

While you're probably right that a nine-year-old hasn't hear those artists, I don't agree with your larger point. For one, almost everyone I know who's my age has heard Neutral Milk Hotel. Like, it's popular with bros at my school. Guys who listen to Jack Johnson and Matchbox 20. And secondly, those artists are significant in the development of indie music in the last fifteen years - a terribly small section and time-period of music in the grand scheme of things. Just on this board alone, a guy like George has probably wider and more eclectic tastes than just about anyone else and if he's heard those two bands, I've never seen him talk about them at all.

i am pretty certain that chicken sandwich post was typed with tongue firmly lodged in cheek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:36 pm 

Mitch NZ wrote:
Tudwell wrote:
For one, almost everyone I know who's my age has heard Neutral Milk Hotel. Like, it's popular with bros at my school. Guys who listen to Jack Johnson and Matchbox 20.

of Hard Knocks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:47 pm 

dreamcoil wrote:
Tudwell wrote:
chicken sandwich wrote:

i am pretty certain that chicken sandwich post was typed with tongue firmly lodged in cheek

Yeah, I realized that after I posted.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:48 pm 

Mitch NZ wrote:
Tudwell wrote:

Well, it's not really popular, and mostly just the track In the Aeroplane Over the Sea as far as I can tell. Anyway, it's a small liberal arts college in Buttfuck Nowhere, Missouri, USA.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:00 pm 

I miss college now

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:51 am 

sorry i have to take a breather and talk about this album

Big K.R.I.T.- Return of 4 Eva

There is a revelation that happens when you listen to this album all the way through when it closes with the remix to Country Shit. Like Drum's Not Dead's "Other Side" or the Flaming Lips' "Watching the Planets", the closer culminates what you just listened to, making sense of it all, becoming this jarring spark of accessibility. The kind of epiphany that you never expect and live for as a music fan. I nearly teared up and I had no idea why, for after all, it's all just a bunch of country shit right? ReturnOf4Eva, or rather Big K.R.I.T. himself, is a tough sell because the album is such a meaty thing to tackle, nearly devoid of anything like a hit song that pops out really. Beats aren't big, it's not laden with gluing skits, hell I wouldn't even say the lyrical talent here is something to admire that much. But once you commit and just say fuck it, and proceed to listen and re-listen to it, you will yield to its unrelenting sap-drip mood and rhythms and each song becomes a frame of mind that you never want to let go of. What seems chill at first becomes absolutely alive, an explosive, emotional yearning expressed in such a serene way that is only felt if you submit your trust, which Big K.R.I.T. humbly asks for with eyes lowered.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:05 am 

Yes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:06 am 

So goddamn tr00, wanta, so goddamn tr00.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:01 pm 
Master of the Universe 2008

Top 25 for me (sorry about it being really late, ive just been busy, and not to sound like pedantic as if no one else has):
Artist- Album; "Favorite song off said album"

25.Yuck-Yuck; "The Wall"
24.Wolves in the Throne Room-Celestial Lineage
23.Battles-Gloss Drop; "Ice Cream"
22.The Pains of Being Pure at Heart-Belong
21.Thundercat - The Golden Age of Apocalypse; Daylight

20.La Dispute-Wildlife; "Safer in the Forest"
19.Lykke Li-Wounded Rhymes; "I Follow Rivers"
18.Girls-Father,Son, Holy Ghost; "Vomit"
17.Real Estate - Days; "Its Real"
16.Panda Bear-Tomboy; "Last Night at the Jetty"

15.Oneohtrix Point Never- Replica; "Replica"
14.Fucked Up-David Comes to Life; "Something Fucked up"
13.Ash Borer-Ash Borer; "one of their stupid song titles that i refuse to write"
12.Beastie Boys-Hot Sauce Committee part two
11.Destroyer-Kaputt; "Kaputt"

10.Big K.R.I.T-Returnof4eva; "King's Blues"
9.Toro Y Moi-Underneath the Pine; "Sweet"
8.James Blake-James Blake; "A Wilhelm Scream"
7.CunninLynguists-Oneirology; "Enemies with benefits"
6.Atlas Sound-Parallax; "Te Amo"

5.Colin Stetson - New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges; "The End of Your Suffering"
4.The Field-Looping State of Mind; "Is this Power"
3.The Weeknd-House of Ballons/Echoes of Silence; "The Knowing"
2.M83-Hurry up, We're dreaming; "Midnight City"
1.Shabazz Palaces-Black Up; "Cant pick one song"

Favorite Songs not on the list

Bloom-Radiohead (Jamie XX Remix)
Far Nearer-Jamie XX
Yonkers-Tyler, The Creator
Ny Is Killing Me - Gil SCott HERON!!!/Jamie XX
Niggas in Paris-Jay Z/Kanye
Intro-M83
How deep is Your Love-The Rapture
Honey Bunny-Girls
Lion and Lambs-Big K.R.I.T
You-Tv on the Radio
Too many Rappers-Beastie Boys
Amor Fati-Washed Out
I'll Take Care of You- Gil Scott Heron!!!/Jamie XX
Suicide Demo - Destroyer
Loft music- Weeknd
6'7'- Lil Wayne
Thru and Thru-Gang Gang Dance
Chinatown-Destroyer

Favorite Show - Lcd Soundsystem
Artist of the Year - Jamie XX
Surprise of the Year - Weeknd
Disappointment of the year- Radiohead (sorry, unlike a lot of you guys, i just did not like the album at all); This category had some heavy competition from Boris, TV on the Radio and a few others.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:47 am 

Sorry about this Wanta, but i've had to make a couple changes to my list because I've started to like certain songs a bit more and more as I listen to them. Especially "Wild Man" by Kate Bush and "Video Games"

This is the honest-to-god final version though.

I go to 50 here, but don't count the positions past 25.
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/animalnit ... s_of_2011/

No change to my albums list. I'm fairly satisfied with that one.

Seriously guys, I really love this song. Really happy with how many lists I've seen "50 Words for Snow" on

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3083 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 206  Next