DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: What Are You Listening To?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:52 pm 

pnoom wrote:
I've decided to spend the month of January devoting all of my serious listening time to Bach.

I'm starting with The Art of Fugue. I started out somewhat cold toward, but I listened to the Emerson String Quartet and Evgeni Koroliov (solo piano) recordings earlier today, and they're both stunning. I'm listening to the Rinaldo Alessandrini/Concerto Italiano now and it's fantastic as well (more than any other piece of music, it's bringing be around on the harpsichord, which I've never really liked before now). I also have Helmut Walcha on organ and Delme Quartet recordings of it. I might ditch the Delme because I'm pretty sure I like the Emerson String Quartet better. I'm waiting until I know the piece better to tackle the Walcha, because right now when I listen to Bach's organ music, it tends to start becoming white noise to me after about 20-30 minutes. I'm hoping this piece will do for me with organ what it did with harpsichord, but I think I'll need to know it better so that I can more clearly follow it.

Best composer.

You'll warm up to it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:23 pm 

I... already have.

Unless you're talking about the organ version specifically.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:33 pm 

pnoom wrote:
I... already have.

Unless you're talking about the organ version specifically.

The organ version but specifically organ in general. I find it a bit harder to listen to at first (the harpsichord is another instrument I had that trouble with) because it is divorced from a lot of regular experience but damn is it powerful.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

Lately I've been listening a lot to Haydn's symphonies. The kick began when I played a symphony or two from one of Dorati's 4-disc box sets, two of which I bought awhile ago largely because they were cheap, but hadn't listened to. I enjoyed them more than I expected. They were some of his works from the mid to late 1760's, a period generally considered to be prior to his peak. But I found that I really like the way Dorati plays Haydn, and in his hands I enjoy these symphonies just as much as I enjoy his later symphonies by other conductors.

I haven't picked up any more of the Dorati boxes yet, but I did start looking into other Haydn symphony boxes, and found some highly regarded boxes and very reasonable prices on the Internet, so I picked up a 7-disc Bruno Weil set, 3 discs consisting of symphonies 82-90, and 4 discs consisting of symphonies from the early 1770's, known as his Sturm und Drang period. I also bought what is widely considered the best box from Adam Fischer's complete cycle, the one consisting of symphonies 21-39. I'm enjoying both boxes, but I especially like the way Fischer plays Haydn, so I recently ordered his box of symphonies 70-81, which should be arriving any time. The guides say that Fischer kept getting better as he progressed through the cycle, and the two boxes I'll have are the last two he recorded.

I'm finding that with the right performances, I like most of Haydn's symphonies. I'd say almost all of the symphonies he wrote in 1764 or later are good, and that's almost all of 76 of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:14 pm 

I was figuring it would be The Art of Fugue that taught me to appreciate the organ, but right now it's the German Organ Mass that's doing it. There's something very vibrant about this piece. Definitely one of my favorite Bach pieces. (I'm listening to the Walcha recording.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:19 pm 

Hearing a live organ concert in Germany is what made me appreciate the organ. Wonderful instrument. Those bass notes really tear right through you when you hear them in person.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:42 am 

:pray:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:17 am 

one of the pieces we're playing in our guitar ensemble this quarter... i don't know what it is about it... but for such a modest piece it has a very interesting and graceful personality.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:59 pm 

I wish Nat Whilk still posted here, I need someone to guide me through the choppy waters that are English 20th century classical music in order to find other gems in this class (this goes for much of Finzi's pieces).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:18 am 

fucking oath. great piece by the way, vbg!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:53 am 

This is probably his best, rv:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:19 am 

finally reacquired Glenn Gould: The Complete Original Jacket Collection yesterday, so much glorious playing here

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:17 am 

Finzi's 5 Bagatelles. I'm not extremely familiar with this music yet but my initial impression is that they're pleasing to listen to, like just about all Finzi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:43 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:23 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 32  Next