It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: NEW DDD Favourite Albums Directory!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:06 pm 

jumpman8828 wrote:
Avery_Island wrote:
it's not an album that's designed to be listened to from start to finish though, but neither is it an album that's designed to be listened to from start to finish particularly

This is the most confusing sentence I've ever read

A Wise Man Once wrote:
“I’m not saying we’re in danger,” he said. “I’m just explicitly not saying that it wouldn’t be wise not to worry about whether somebody did or did not do what they said they didn’t did. Do.

That's the most confusing sentence I have ever read..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:21 pm 

jumpman8828 wrote:
Avery_Island wrote:
it's not an album that's designed to be listened to from start to finish though, but neither is it an album that's designed to be listened to from start to finish particularly

This is the most confusing sentence I've ever read

:lol: What I meant to say was: it's not an album that's designed to be listened to from start to finish and neither is it an album that's particularly designed to be listed to in order (in the way something like Dark Side of the Moon is for example).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:24 pm 

And fearoftrains, who is the other resident SM obsessive here, lists his favourite SM album as The Charm of the Highway Strip too.

Anyway, just saying that some people make the mistake of loving 69LS but then not listening to anything else by SM, even when he's written so many great songs and albums, not only with the Magentic Fields, but with the 6ths, Future Bible Heroes, The Gothic Archies, the Zinninas and as a solo artist too.

There's also the fabled Buffalo Rome demos, but only one song has been released by that thus far.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:39 pm 

Avery_Island wrote:
Timitzii wrote:
Sounds interesting. Also, say what you say, people, ABBA were one extremely good band, as far as melodies go. Their melodies still remain some of the catchiest and most memorable ever created!

ABBA are pretty much the best singles band ever imo. If you can appreciate ABBA I think you'll love their first two albums.

I agree, one of the best singles band ever. "Mamma Mia" has tons of different melodies that are fantastic, I find it extremely impressive how they've actually combined many different melodies to create one of the catchiest songs ever.

I'll definitely check The Magnetic Fields out properly, at the moment I'm listening to 69 Love Songs, good stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:40 pm 

I'm sorta diggin' this 69 love songs so far. I only listened to around 20 tracks before I switched to a different album, but I have to say it isn't that bad.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:48 pm 

Yeah, it's one of those that doesn't really hit you straight away, I thought this is a fucking mammoth task in front of me when I first got it, but I just sort of let it seep in for a while.

I actually listened to it when walking my dog when I suddenly realised how good "All My Little Words" was. Then I realised how good "Come Back from San Francisco" was etc. etc.

Mind you I had already listened to and loved The Charm of the Highway Strip going into it. Which was my first SM album, after being reccomended to me by a user on RYM.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:54 pm 

Yeah, Magnetic Fields are coming to a city near by in several months, I figure that if I continue to enjoy this, it might be a good investment to go see them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:22 pm 

I absolutely cannot wait for the new album!

I can't get over how ridiculous the cover is though, it's so un-SM like.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:50 am 

This is their ABBA influenced synth-pop sound at its finest. :snacks:

Sooooo infectious.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:03 am 

Oh my word, that is a beautiful song, Avery! I've had 69 Love Songs for so long now, but I've never really delved into it enough because of it's gargantuan feel. I should really - plus their earlier stuff if it's this good!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:53 am 

Glad you enjoyed it. :thumb: The Wayward Bus is possibly my favourite album of all-time. It's just one perfect pop song after another. A lot of it is Susan Anway's vocals imo. At here best, her vocals are just absolutely chilling. It's a shame she only recorded 2 albums with the band.

Here's a couple more of my favourites from it. See if you like these as well:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:56 am 

Georgi wrote:
Oh my word, that is a beautiful song, Avery! I've had 69 Love Songs for so long now, but I've never really delved into it enough because of it's gargantuan feel. I should really - plus their earlier stuff if it's this good!

dude, wayward bus + distant plastic trees. ASAP

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:57 am 

I can upload them for you if you like, Georgi.

In fact, I think I still have a link for when I uploaded them for someone else before.

There is a 2 for 1 CD which is great, but the only problem is that it for some bizarre reasons misses off "Plant White Roses" which is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:00 pm 

I would really like that upload myself, those songs were incredibly beautiful. :dec-wink:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:07 pm 

OK, on its way. Hope you guys all become SM obsessives and start visiting the SM thread now. :dance:

j_brodu has gone awol so it's just me and fearoftrains atm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 27  Next