DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wong Kar-Wai
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:53 pm 

rip wkw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:36 pm 
Master of the Universe 2008

Nah

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:27 pm 

Jesus christ, my heart skipped a beat when I saw wanta's post at the top of the page without any knowledge of the trailer. Damn you, jake.

The trailer looks good enough. I haven't actually seen all that many kung-fu films (wouldn't mind recs, you know), but Kar-Wai's probably my favorite director at this point so this is a must-see. I have trust in him.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:15 pm 

I saw the context and still froze for a second. Fuck.

So, this is not really related, but it still amused me. I'm attempting to learn basic Cantonese through a podcast. Here was the first sample dialogue translated:

Hi. My name's Wong Kar Wai.
My name's Maggie Cheung. Very nice to meet you.
You too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:08 pm 

Just now saw that! LOL!

Anyway, I'm about to embark on Every Wong Kar Wai Film ritual I've done at the beginning of each semester since coming to Samford. Keeps me sane.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:31 pm 

2046 is now my favorite Wong Kar-Wai film. By a fair margin. Did not see that coming, ever.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:18 am 

I usually hate fan-made videos but this one combining Jamie Woon and Chungking Express is just incredibly good.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:06 am 

Yes things. Also I want to live in a world where I can see all of his films each week or something like that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:22 am 

I really like his film clip for DJ Shadow's Six Days.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:15 am 

Something random. The "one country, two systems" system could possibly end in 2047. Do you think there was any symbolism in the title 2046 related to that?

And...no one cares.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:04 pm 

My friend told me to watch Fallen Angels and so I did finally.

I liked it quite a bit. I'd say it has some of the best sequences I've ever seen in WKW's films and I also haven't laughed as quite as hard in a film of his before. The mute character, especially with his relationship with his father, absolutely killed me (unsurprisingly), and I'm not used to seeing that side of WKW being that I see him as more close to Antonioni with a Nouvelle-Nouvelle Vague spirit than explorations of the direct familial poignancy a la Ozu/Yang. So in ways, I find those parts to be of my favorite stuff he's done. And of course, there's an absolute aliveness to all his films, which I would suspect derives from his impulsive working methods. Every shot framed meticulously but presented sporadically in how asymmetrically dense they really are. The mixture of wide angle lensing (6.5 mm!), handheld movements, canted angles, staccato like cutting, color filters, slowmos, and time lapses, all of these choices making the film burst with ideas that seem to come out of nowhere. If a writer thought the script was verbatim (which it's not) before production, his mind would explode.

And that is where I think I may have to re-view it a week later or so because if spontaneity is WKW's strength, it is also his achilles heel when consciously trying to connect his moment-to-moment stew concocted of his well crafted cinematic pineapple chunks. The hardest obstacle for him is to keep up with his own constantly evolving imagination, and even harder to bring it altogether in the editing room in a way that doesn't seem obvious, which would betray his style. In Chungking Express, the two parts were bifurcated into halves whose connections seemed elusive in a causal sense, but felt meant for each other in other ways (visually, location, theme, music, etc.). And I do like how he encourages the viewer to make their own connections by thinning out causality. Fallen Angels takes a similar approach, but the two halves are conjoined at the end by coincidence and it feels somewhat like a copout. Because of his adoration of instinctiveness, his films move like music, but when they are interrupted by things that force literal connections to the unconscious magic of music, it feels off and dead.

Jean Renoir liked the idea of passive-aggression in art. First you do, then you think (edit/create). If you think and plan beforehand, it will deter your work that you plan to do and force it into an over analytical rut that seems unnatural and awkward. I don't agree or disagree with this notion (Ozu was just as much as a pre-production freak as Hitch) as it does depend on the person, but I feel this is how Wong works. Only with Fallen Angels, the doing overextended the after-thinking, on top of probably loving too many sequences to cut them out, and then forcing an unnaturally weak tie-up to bring it together. (If you want to force unification, at least make it a spectacle like the frog rain in Magnolia)

Still a good film with extraordinary sequences tho.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:42 pm 

full trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ngxn9NzLzs&feature=player_embedded

it looks awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:39 pm 

my friend in beijing saw the grandmaster a couple days ago and liked it a lot. it's opening the toronto film festival in february.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:42 pm 
Master of the Universe 2008

Opens Berlin, too. Pumped. Hoping for some good romance flick/film noir shit from WKW.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:31 pm 

Chemical Ali wrote:
Opens Berlin, too. Pumped. Hoping for some good romance flick/film noir shit from WKW.

she told me it was more action and a revenge story, with yip man's romance not being very central.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next