DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Boxing.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:03 pm 

Discuss boxing in here.

Post subject: Re: Boxing.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:53 pm 

Joe Louis is the greatest fucking heavyweight ever.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:45 am 

Victim Of Changes wrote:
Joe Louis is the greatest fucking heavyweight ever.

Maybe !!!

I think Ali just beats him

Hey dmille how about putting your top 10's up again, always good for discusion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:07 pm 

I dont know if dmille is still around, tbh.
Wish he was though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:11 pm 

Victim Of Changes wrote:
I dont know if dmille is still around, tbh.
Wish he was though.

Now that is a pity, I am known locally as a boxing anorak but he takes it to a new level

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:40 am 

MY top 10 flyweights of all-time plus honorable mention

1 Jimmy Wilde
2 Pascual Perez
3 Miguel Canto
4 Fidel LaBarba
5 Frankie Genaro
6 Masao Ohba
7 Pancho Villa
8 Benny Lynch
9 Pone Kingpetch
10 Chartchai Chionoi

Honorable Mention: Jung-Koo Chang, Johnny Coulon, Hiroyuki Ebihara, Betulio Gonzalez, Yoko Gushiken, Ricardo Lopez, Rinty Monaghan, Shoji Oguma, Midget Wolgast, Mung-Woo Yuh

NOTE: It usually takes between 5-10 years to put any fighter's career into its proper historical perspective. Current WBC flyweight champion Pongsaklek Wonjongkam has a record of 77-3-1 41KOs and he is 22-1-1 in title fights over two reigns. IMO he is the only fighter in his weight class that can break into the top ten. He needs a fifth fight with Daisuke Naito to settle their rivalry.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:38 am 

Now that the World Series is over, we have a string of excellent matches coming thru the Super Bowl

Nov 6
Juan Manuel Lopez vs. Rafael Marquez
Glen Johnson vs. Allan Green
Zab Judah vs. Lucas Matthysse

Nov 13
Manny Pacquiao vs. Antonio Margarito
David Haye vs. Audley Harrison

Nov 20
Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams II

Nov 27
Andre Ward vs. Sakio Bika
Carl Froch vs. Arthur Abraham
Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Michael Katsidis

Dec 11
Amir Khan vs. Marcos Maidana
Wladimir Klitschko vs. Dereck Chisora
Vic Darchinyan vs. Abner Mares
Yonnhy Perez vs. Joseph Agbeko

Dec 18
Jean Pascal vs. Bernard Hopkins

Jan 29
Devon Alexander vs. Timothy Bradley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:29 am 

Being a brit, the David Haye/Fraudley Harrison bout is just starting to crank up some serious interest over here.

They are former friends, but Haye in particular is being particularly unpleasant in his vocal outbursts. There is talk that sparring partner Tony Thompson has knocked Haye on his arse in training, much to Fraudleys delight.

Haye's suspect chin shouldnt be a problem against Harrison who has never shown any destructive punching throughout his career. So, unless he walks onto one, Haye should win comfortably. The Klitchsko's are another matter and I cant see a blown up cruiserweight like Haye being big enough especially against Vitali.

I see Freddie Roach is really bigging up Amir Khan in the press. He said last week that Khan is now sometimes getting the better of his sparring with Pac-man and that Khan is the only guy out there who could really challenge Manny. Having said that the 2 will never fight. Freddie expects Manny to retire in a year or 2 and that Amir is the next big multi-weight champion in the making.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:17 pm 

The Seeker wrote:
Being a brit, the David Haye/Fraudley Harrison bout is just starting to crank up some serious interest over here.

They are former friends, but Haye in particular is being particularly unpleasant in his vocal outbursts. There is talk that sparring partner Tony Thompson has knocked Haye on his arse in training, much to Fraudleys delight.

Haye's suspect chin shouldnt be a problem against Harrison who has never shown any destructive punching throughout his career. So, unless he walks onto one, Haye should win comfortably. The Klitchsko's are another matter and I cant see a blown up cruiserweight like Haye being big enough especially against Vitali.

(fr)Audley is 6'5 250-255. He's got 20 kos outta 27 wins. Any guy that size is gonna pack a wallop. In his last fight, I thought he killed Sprott. I am still picking Haye, but because of Harrison's chin...

Quote:
I see Freddie Roach is really bigging up Amir Khan in the press. He said last week that Khan is now sometimes getting the better of his sparring with Pac-man and that Khan is the only guy out there who could really challenge Manny. Having said that the 2 will never fight. Freddie expects Manny to retire in a year or 2 and that Amir is the next big multi-weight champion in the making.

We need to see what happens the next time Khan takes a real whack on the jaw. Outside of MAB, his recent foes have had kayoes in less than 50 % of their fights. Maidana's 27 outta 29 wins (30 fights) means Amir is looking straight at serious...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:40 pm 

Yeah great month of boxing coming up - Haye/Harrison and Manny on the same night will be class.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:52 pm 

I agree, I said on the old forum that this will be Khan's hardest test yet, he may will win it with his quick hands but Maidana is possibly the biggest puncher in the division, just ask Ortiz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:54 am 

If Khan puts on a good show and deals with Maidana, then I think we will know he's the real deal. Still, its a risky fight. Khan appears to be happier at light-welter but Maidana is almost a full-blown welter and punches like one as well. I think Amir has got to be patient and not go to war in the 1st 3 or 4 rounds.

dmille

Harrison's record doesnt really tell the whole story. He was around 30 when turning pro and his first 19 or 20 fights (all wins) were all against low class picked oppostion and over 4 years. He got a million dollar contract from the BBC to show his fights. They were so scared of him losing that they matched him against very ordinary fighters. Even though he won, he looked so bad that his management refused to even let him fight for a European title. The BBC dumped his contract and he descended into virtual obscurity.

Since then he lost 4 out of 12 and 3 of his 8 wins were in the 'Prizefighter' TV tournament over 3 rounds.

Yes, the Sprott performance was decent and he is a big guy with a half decent jab. I'm just not sure he has the heart for it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:58 pm 

The Seeker wrote:
If Khan puts on a good show and deals with Maidana, then I think we will know he's the real deal. Still, its a risky fight. Khan appears to be happier at light-welter but Maidana is almost a full-blown welter and punches like one as well. I think Amir has got to be patient and not go to war in the 1st 3 or 4 rounds.

dmille

Harrison's record doesnt really tell the whole story. He was around 30 when turning pro and his first 19 or 20 fights (all wins) were all against low class picked oppostion and over 4 years. He got a million dollar contract from the BBC to show his fights. They were so scared of him losing that they matched him against very ordinary fighters. Even though he won, he looked so bad that his management refused to even let him fight for a European title. The BBC dumped his contract and he descended into virtual obscurity.

Since then he lost 4 out of 12 and 3 of his 8 wins were in the 'Prizefighter' TV tournament over 3 rounds.

Yes, the Sprott performance was decent and he is a big guy with a half decent jab. I'm just not sure he has the heart for it.

Just cuz I'm a "yank" doesn't mean I haven't been following his career. Tell me where I get it wrong. He fought the usual suspects; Kenny Stand, Willie Fall and Izzy Breethin. He lost as soon as he stepped up the comp. He is another case of arrested development like Jorge Luis Gonzalez. IMO he hadn't made the full transition from amatuer to pro and now it's too late. Well?

And the Sprott performance decent? He was getting schooled until he landed that career-saving Hail Mary.

I still say any guy that size packs a punch. But I don't think it will matter. His heart (or lack of) will never come into play. Harrison's the guy in this fight with the weak whiskers. Haye will take him out early.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:38 pm 

dmille wrote:
The Seeker wrote:

dmille

Just cuz I'm a "yank" doesn't mean I haven't been following his career. Tell me where I get it wrong. He fought the usual suspects; Kenny Stand, Willie Fall and Izzy Breethin. He lost as soon as he stepped up the comp. He is another case of arrested development like Jorge Luis Gonzalez. IMO he hadn't made the full transition from amatuer to pro and now it's too late. Well?

And the Sprott performance decent? He was getting schooled until he landed that career-saving Hail Mary.

I still say any guy that size packs a punch. But I don't think it will matter. His heart (or lack of) will never come into play. Harrison's the guy in this fight with the weak whiskers. Haye will take him out early.

Calm down a little !!

Never said you got anything wrong and being a yank has nothing to do with anything. You mentioned Audleys record and I was just pointing out that Harrison's 20/25 record is not as good as it sounds on the face of it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:35 am 

The Seeker wrote:
Calm down a little!!

Never said you got anything wrong and being a yank has nothing to do with anything. You mentioned Audley's record and I was just pointing out that Harrison's 20/25 record is not as good as it sounds on the face of it.

I should calm down? Is that before or after you insulted my intelligence?

You said that his record didn't tell the whole story and that he started his career fighting no-name opposition. Wow! Harrison must be the most unique fighter of all-time. And to think that all this time, I believed that was true of nearly every fighter.

You sure that Mike Middleton wasn't a world class heavyweight when Audley fought him? You mean to say that Derrick McCaffery isn't a Lonsdale Belt holder, based on his sterling record as a professional?

I follow the careers of all Olympic champions that turn pro very closely. Not just Americans and not just heavyweights. I was disappointed by Michael Carruth and am looking to see what happens with James DeGale (I think he is being pushed too fast). Yeah, see there, I've heard of both of them...

And since you're a Brit, help me out here. What the hell are Chisora's people thinking, matching him with Wlad when he only has 14 fights? Are they just going for the quick payday? Do they honestly think he has a chance with so little experience?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next