DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

pick your fav
The Wire 32%  32%  [ 15 ]
The Sopranos 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
Lost 17%  17%  [ 8 ]
The West Wing 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Battlestar Galactica 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mad Men 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
House, M.D. 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Dexter 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
The Shield 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Breaking Bad 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Six Feet Under 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Friday Night Lights 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Deadwood 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
24 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 47
 Post subject: Re: best TV drama of our generation
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:42 pm 

I really enjoyed, but I thought it ended badly. Some of the acting was excellent (O' Quinn, Emerson, and a few others)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:44 pm 
Master of the Universe 2008

Maybe not bad acting, but unbalanced; some people were clearly better than others, and some people i just think didn't deserved to be there. Too many whatatwist moments, too

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:02 pm 

They overused the cliff hanger to drive the story, but I loved it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:20 pm 

I think I benefited from watching the first 5 seasons in one summer. I could imagine the show being frustrating if you had to wait around for months for the next season/episode.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:45 pm 

First two or three seasons were alright, and highly watchable, but it just nosedived and went to shit in seasons 5/6. The series finale was cringeworthy. But I stuck with it that long so I had to see it out. It sorta made me regret watching the whole series.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:52 pm 

What they did with Locke still annoys me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:11 pm 

its the ambition that draws me in. even if they were constantly unable to match it with the execution. which meant that it was always frustrating, but always interesting.

the acting was definitely uneven. some of the best actors i've ever seen were on that show constantly doing great work, and their episodes were always more interesting because of it (Terry O'Quinn, Michael Emerson, Henry Ian Cusick, Nestor Carbonell, Jeremy Davieis, etc).

the high points of Lost were just too good. the problem is, you can't watch them without watching the whole thing. but its worth it to see The Constant, every Ben Linus episode, etc.

and i still differ from most people in that i loved the ending.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:44 pm 

Lost has the distinction of being a show where its main character was the least interesting out of the main ensemble.

I liked the ending too, Pave. Didn't love it, but it wasn't as terrible as it could have been.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:41 pm 

awesome wrote:
First two or three seasons were alright, and highly watchable, but it just nosedived and went to shit in seasons 5/6.

That's the opposite of what happened! Seasons 2 and (especially) 3 were shitty, so they stopped doing flashbacks, set an end date and turned it into the best one-hour on network TV. I agree that the finale was dumb but the season leading up to it (on the island anyway) was great and seasons 4-5 were uniformly fantastic.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:51 pm 

monga18 wrote:
Perfect, completed, greatest TV show of all time, greatest cultural work of the last 30 years, hyperbole really isn't possible with it: The Wire
Perfect but incomplete: Deadwood, Breaking Bad
Near-perfect: The Sopranos
Flawed but absolutely wonderful: Lost, The Shield, BSG, FNL, The West Wing, Mad Men
(Merely) Very Good: Dexter, Six Feet Under
Either great or awful depending on the season: 24 (also Rescue Me)
M'eh: House

Breaking Bad belongs on the Wire's tier after their recent season, I think. If the last 16 episodes are really fantastic it could make a case for best show ever made. It would have to blow the previous 4 out of the water, but given that every BB season has been progressively better I think Gilligan et al have it in them. The Wire ended on its weakest season which is something I certainly can't picture BB doing.

Sons of Anarchy and Treme should probably get added to the Very Good tier. Maybe Justified too once I've gotten through both seasons.

EDIT: may have spoken too soon on Sons of Anarchy. The season 4 finale featured maybe the dumbest plot twist I've ever seen in anything, dropped in from out of absolutely fucking nowhere.

Last edited by monga18 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:55 am 

I think I might like Generation Kill as much as The Wire.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:28 am 

Full disclosure in that I haven't seen some of these at all or all of the ones I've seen in their entirety. The Wire is far and away the best for me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:30 am 

monga18 wrote:
Best pilots

1. Friday Night Lights
2. Mad Men
3. Lost

Best series finales

1. The Shield (this might be the single best hour of TV ever produced)
2. Six Feet Under
3. The Wire

The Wire had a great finale. Especially that last montage.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:31 am 

Chemical Ali wrote:
Anyone think lost is just bad? I know Pave likes it a lot, and thats cool, but i couldn't get into, and i thought a lot of the acting was subpar and a lot of the storyline was Shaymalanesque

Yeah the plot was just too loopy for me and the acting pissed me off. That and the marketing campaign which consisted of some of the hammiest scene cuts I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:33 am 

monga18 wrote:
monga18 wrote:
Perfect, completed, greatest TV show of all time, greatest cultural work of the last 30 years, hyperbole really isn't possible with it: The Wire
Perfect but incomplete: Deadwood, Breaking Bad
Near-perfect: The Sopranos
Flawed but absolutely wonderful: Lost, The Shield, BSG, FNL, The West Wing, Mad Men
(Merely) Very Good: Dexter, Six Feet Under
Either great or awful depending on the season: 24 (also Rescue Me)
M'eh: House

Breaking Bad belongs on the Wire's tier after their recent season, I think. If the last 16 episodes are really fantastic it could make a case for best show ever made. It would have to blow the previous 4 out of the water, but given that every BB season has been progressively better I think Gilligan et al have it in them. The Wire ended on its weakest season which is something I certainly can't picture BB doing.

Sons of Anarchy and Treme should probably get added to the Very Good tier. Maybe Justified too once I've gotten through both seasons.

Eh I'd say Season 2 was the worst Wire season. Season 5 felt a bit rushed but I thought it had the shows strongest episode (the last one) and I thought it explored one of the most interesting aspects (the Media).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next