It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Soul, Funk & RnB thread
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:50 am 

Hope you like them! :tiphat:

Last edited by Timi on Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:10 am 

rediscovering al green, i came to realize that he is the most consistently excellent pop artist i know of.

i tried making a list of favorite songs and found it actually impossible, i think for the first time ever.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:37 pm 

finished listening to the Splendor album. good, enjoyable stuff. a 7/10 for me, nothing memorable to write about, but a good set of songs for a good half an hour spent. some songs are really funky, while elements of the disco scene from the late 70s evident, and the RnB and pop flavor there as well. i do see somebody like batman enjoying this, as well as Mitch for some reason.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:07 pm 

yeah that Splendor album is really up my alley, I'm digging it

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:10 pm 

one of my favorite recent discoveries from rev. al...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:17 pm 

Yousha wrote:
finished listening to the Splendor album. good, enjoyable stuff. a 7/10 for me, nothing memorable to write about, but a good set of songs for a good half an hour spent. some songs are really funky, while elements of the disco scene from the late 70s evident, and the RnB and pop flavor there as well. i do see somebody like batman enjoying this, as well as Mitch for some reason.

Yeah I listened to them, pretty groovy stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:07 am 

'Lying on the Truth' (The Rance Allen track Timi posted) has gotta be one of the best tracks ive heard in recent times, the guitars are absolutely incredible, the rhythm is rock solid and singers of this quality taking the song to incredible heights. this is the sorta funk/gospel that totally gets my blood pumping, if anyone(Timi ?) can rec similar stuff, id love to listen.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:17 am 

George wrote:
rediscovering al green, i came to realize that he is the most consistently excellent pop artist i know of.

i tried making a list of favorite songs and found it actually impossible, i think for the first time ever.

You can start with "Look What You Done For Me"...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:27 am 

Yousha wrote:
'Lying on the Truth' (The Rance Allen track Timi posted) has gotta be one of the best tracks ive heard in recent times, the guitars are absolutely incredible, the rhythm is rock solid and singers of this quality taking the song to incredible heights. this is the sorta funk/gospel that totally gets my blood pumping, if anyone(Timi ?) can rec similar stuff, id love to listen.

Nice to hear that, I LOVE that track too. The extreme intensity of the instruments, combined with Rance Allen's damn powerful voice is really great. That track is one of their most 'blood pumping' as opposed to many softer songs, I can link more if I find something like that. Check out this song:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:01 pm 

this beat is disgusting

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:17 pm 

?uestlove talks new D'angelo album

?uestlove wrote:
For all intents and purposes, this album is the black version of [The Beach Boys'] Smile-- at best, it will go down in the Smile/There's a Riot Goin' On/Miles Davis' On the Corner category. That's what I'm hoping for.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:39 pm 

oh boy. i mean it's d'angelo. but that kind of hype, it had better live up to it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:41 pm 

Any album that's twelve years in the making is gonna have a hard time living up to expectations. I'm trying not to expect too much out of it. But it's hard with ?uestlove making comments like that, especially since he doesn't throw statements like that around all the time, as far as I know. I've never read him say something like that about a Roots album.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:54 pm 

oh i'm optimistic. as far as neo soul is concerned, if anyone can pull it off, it's him.

- i still hope for an amazing lauryn hill comeback record though. even though lauryn has pretty much lost the plot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:18 pm 

Lauryn Hill's been touring with new material, but a "comeback" album seems unlikely. I saw her at Rock the Bells and it was pretty bad. Her vocals were extremely low in the mix, and her backing band played hard rock. It was just weird.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 33  Next