It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 219  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLB.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:00 pm 

batman wrote:
As for Lincecum vs. Lee, they're both two of the best pitchers in the MLB, and if you're gonna say that the Giants were lucky to get a bunch of hits off Lee, I could also say the Rangers were lucky to get a bunch of hits off Lincecum. And the Giants pitching staff as a whole is way better than the Rangers.
The Giants good defense in the postseason isn't luck, they've had excellent fielding all year. I will admit that Cain got lucky with that near homerun, but still, Cain's been a great pitcher for a few years now, are you going to attribute a zero postseason ERA entirely to luck? And even if the Rangers had got that homerun, the Giants still would have had their way with the Texas bullpen, unless they were just planning on keeping Wilson in the entire game. The Giants just got 7 runs in one inning against the Texas bullpen.

I will agree that there is some luck involved in that they are facing an opponent who is (so far) choking. But I dunno, I'm not trying to vent against you or anything, I'm mostly just tired of the media treating the Giants like they never had a chance. They for sure had the best pitching all season and some of the best defense, even though they had some trouble getting hits. And they outplayed Roy Halladay and they got 7 runs off of Cliff Lee. But there were still headlines reading "The Phillies lost" instead of "The Giants won." I suppose by the end of the series we'll be able to tell just how lucky the Giants are, but I'm going to bet that they're just a really good team.

Except if you look at fielding independent pitching Lee absolutely dominated Lincecum. Lee brought his C game its true but Lincecum brought his D- game and should have given up as many runs as Lee.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:01 pm 

batman wrote:
corrections wrote:
And you know what the Giants haven't significantly outdone them in any tangible stats.

And this just isn't true. The Giants have outdone the Rangers in every tangible pitching statistic. Offensively you're right though.

Every tangible pitching stat? If we are talking about the starters that's patently false. ERA is the only tangible one and ERA certainly isn't the best stat. The Rangers have dominated them in strikeouts and beaten them in WHIP. If we are talking about bullpen well then all I have to say is 13 pitches 1 strike (translation: yeah the backend of the Rangers bullpen blows).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:56 pm 

I was talking about the whole pitching staff. The Giants as a team had the lowest ERA and opponents batting average, and the most strikeouts in the MLB this year. And as important the starters are, I think it's fair to look at the whole team because you can't just expect every game to be 8 innings out of your starter and then put Feliz in for the 9th. The Giants can lose starters to blisters and bad days and other things that happen in baseball and they've still got a lot of talent all through the bullpen.

And comparing starters, I'll admit that Lee is the best pitcher on either team, but as far as the other matchups, Cain's had better stats this season than Wilson, and Sanchez has had better stats this season than Lewis. In those two comparisons, the Giants beat them in ERA, WHIP, and strikeouts.

I'm also curious as to why you graded Lee a C and Lincecum D- for the game. I was watching the game and could tell that both pitchers were severely sub-par for their high standards, but looking at the stats, they both got the same amount of hits even though Lincecum stayed in an inning longer, and Lee gave up more runs than Lincecum.

sidenote: I started looking up a bunch of stats and saw that in the 2010 season, the Giants dominated the Rangers in terms of ERA with runners in scoring position. They also beat them in WHIP in that situation. Not that I'd base my whole argument around that, but it does show that the Giants pitchers have the ability to get themselves out of jams, which is a good thing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:04 am 

Freddy Sanchez was a beast on defense today.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:31 pm 

go dem giants, eh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:52 pm 

Congrats Giants you earned it. Not much to say really. Giants have a superb defense. They've got a great bullpen. Those two things plus the Rangers horrible pen was the series difference.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:41 am 

GO BLUE JAYS!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:07 pm 

So psyched about the Giants! This marks the first time a team I'm a fan of has won a championship, unless you count high school sports. My whole family is about to drive to San Francisco to visit family, watch the parade, and celebrate.

I guess the series really was the perfect example of defense vs. offense. You've got the best pitching staff in the league against the best hitting team in the league, and pitching won out in the end.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:00 pm 

batman wrote:
So psyched about the Giants! This marks the first time a team I'm a fan of has won a championship, unless you count high school sports. My whole family is about to drive to San Francisco to visit family, watch the parade, and celebrate.

I guess the series really was the perfect example of defense vs. offense. You've got the best pitching staff in the league against the best hitting team in the league, and pitching won out in the end.

Enjoy the parade, batman! Here is a link that may be helpful on parking, what the route is, etc.
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Y ... tter-Daily

I am here in the city, but will be at work....unless I feel sick tomorrow... :dance:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:47 pm 

batman wrote:
I was talking about the whole pitching staff. The Giants as a team had the lowest ERA and opponents batting average, and the most strikeouts in the MLB this year. And as important the starters are, I think it's fair to look at the whole team because you can't just expect every game to be 8 innings out of your starter and then put Feliz in for the 9th. The Giants can lose starters to blisters and bad days and other things that happen in baseball and they've still got a lot of talent all through the bullpen.

And comparing starters, I'll admit that Lee is the best pitcher on either team, but as far as the other matchups, Cain's had better stats this season than Wilson, and Sanchez has had better stats this season than Lewis. In those two comparisons, the Giants beat them in ERA, WHIP, and strikeouts.

I'm also curious as to why you graded Lee a C and Lincecum D- for the game. I was watching the game and could tell that both pitchers were severely sub-par for their high standards, but looking at the stats, they both got the same amount of hits even though Lincecum stayed in an inning longer, and Lee gave up more runs than Lincecum.

sidenote: I started looking up a bunch of stats and saw that in the 2010 season, the Giants dominated the Rangers in terms of ERA with runners in scoring position. They also beat them in WHIP in that situation. Not that I'd base my whole argument around that, but it does show that the Giants pitchers have the ability to get themselves out of jams, which is a good thing.

Yeah I don't like those RISP arguments because they tend to be rather random and fluctuating. As far as why I graded the performances that way both guys scuffled but Lincecum had only 2 strikeouts while Lee had 8. Lee was also subject to Vlad Guerrero in the outfield and Michael Young's crucial error. So that's why I say Lee had a better game despite more runs. In game two of the matchup Lee brought his B+ game while Lincecum brought the A game so it was a switch.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:24 pm 

Yeah I agree the RISP can be pretty random, I just threw it in there because I thought it was an interesting sidenote. It's actually probably the stat that most defined the Giants season. Despite their great pitching, their wins were by pretty small margins because they didn't usually score many runs, so the games were always really tense at the end.
When you put it in that way, I do agree with the Cliff Lee assesment. He was pitching a solid game like he usually does at first, but then he just fell apart in the the 5th inning (pretty sure it was the 5th).

The parade was awesome. Aubrey Huff took off his thong. All the streets downtown were flooded with people in Giants gear.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:37 pm 

Elvis Andrus was at the Stars game on Wednesday. He got a standing ovation. Texas fans love him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:47 pm 

Who the fuck decided Derek Jeter needed a Gold Glove? Goddammit ESPNewYork.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:24 am 

i dont know anything about advanced stats, but i was reading a quick article and it pointed out advanced stats say Jeter isnt great on defense, but that he had the least amount of errors and highest fielding % for anyone who played that many games. also 3rd in double plays turned. idk, like i said idk anything about advanced stats, but i played the game for several years and i dont remember anything too complicated about playing defense. you either stop the ball but not get the out, stop the ball and get the out, or don't stop the ball. hard to imagine needing advanced stats to tell me who is better at that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:48 am 

Advanced stats factor in your range. It gives an indication of your ability to make non-standard plays, which are arguably just as valuable as not committing errors.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 219  Next