DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Rock Bass Performances
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:53 pm 

Bruce wrote:
StuBass wrote:
He even replaced Rockabilly legend Dorsey Burnette in the famed Rock&Roll Trio.

Dorsey Burnette was replaced in the group by Bill Black's brother Johnny. That's him in this video.

As did Moore who played on several recording sessions with The R&R Trio...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:00 pm 

StuBass wrote:
Yeah...I suppose that anything that doesn't agree with your viewpoint is "bogus" like The Rockabilly Hall Of Fame".

The Rockabilly Hall Of Fame is known as a joke. Here are some of the inductees:

Carl Dobkins Jr.
Bruce Channel
Frankie Ford
Milt Trenier (one of the Treniers)
Sandy Nelson
Clarence Frogman Henry
Sue Thompson
Bo Diddley
Bobby Vee
Jimmie Rodgers

Yes sir, that's the kind of credible organization that we should be using to verify whether or not an artist is rockabilly, you fucking jackass.

They have more inductees than the baseball hall of fame which covers 140 years of major league baseball. There's 371 inductees in the rockabilly hall of fame. Every asshole and his borther are in there.

http://www.rockabillyhall.com/Certificates.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:04 pm 

StuBass wrote:

Here's the dates of every one of their sessions. Which ones are you claiming that Moore played on?

May 7, 1956 - 5 songs
July 2, 1956 - 4 songs
July 3, 1956 - 4 songs
July 4, 1956 - 3 songs
July 5, 1956 - 5 songs
Mar 27, 1957 - 4 songs

Last edited by Bruce on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:16 pm 

Bruce wrote:
StuBass wrote:

Here's the dates of every one of their sessions. Which ones are you claiming that Moore played on?

May 7, 1956 - 5 songs
July 2, 1956 - 4 songs
July 3, 1956 - 4 songs
July 4, 1956 - 3 songs
July 5, 1956 - 5 songs
March 27, 1957 - 4 songs

First of all...I'm not a "jackass" and my foot will find it's way through this smartphone and right up YOUR ass if you fail to give me the same respect I would give to you or anyone else. Now that we've hopefully cleared that up...

On March 22, 1957 in Nashville, The Rock & Roll Trio's last session was cut. Dorsey Burnette and Paul Burleson were replaced by Bob Moore on bass and Grady Martin on guitar (along with drummer Farris Coursey). Johnny Burnett did vocals and played acoustic guitar as the only original R&R Trio member. Four tracks were cut..."Touch Me", "If you Want Enough", Butterfingers", and "Eager Beaver Baby".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:18 pm 

StuBass wrote:
On March 22, 1957 in Nashville, The Rock & Roll Trio's last session was cut. Dorsey Burnette and Paul Burleson were replaced by Bob Moore on bass and Grady Martin on guitar (along with drummer Farris Coursey). Johnny Burnett did vocals and played acoustic guitar as the only original R&R Trio member. Four tracks were cut..."Touch Me", "If you Want Enough", Butterfingers", and "Eager Beaver Baby".

If true how does that translate to "several sessions?"

From the liner notes of "The Legendary Johnny Burnette Trio" a double album from 1984 - written by Adam Konorowski, the then editor of New Kommotion....

In March 1957 they returned to Nashville for another session, and although Dorsey was no longer playing with them on live shows, nevertheless his contractual obligations meant that he had to turn up for, and play on the sessions.

Last edited by Bruce on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:23 pm 

Bruce wrote:
StuBass wrote:

I didn't say that was the ONLY session Moore played with Johnny Burnette (I was only picking out the most obvious from what YOU listed, and there were obviously other sessions as often happens which were likely not historically documented) since Dorsey had already left the trio (and did NOT play on the March 22 session at The Bradley Studio in Nashville) which has been documented ...but quite honestly, this discussion is getting a bit ridiculous. Enjoy your turkey.

Last edited by StuBass on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:28 pm 

StuBass wrote:
I didn't say that was the ONLY session Moore played with Johnny Burnette since Dorsey had already left the trio

You said, and I quote:

"As did Moore who played on several recording sessions with The R&R Trio"

I'm not disputing that he may have played with Johnny Burnette on dogshit like "Dreamin." But that's not the R&R Trio.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:34 pm 

:freak:
Bruce wrote:
StuBass wrote:
I didn't say that was the ONLY session Moore played with Johnny Burnette since Dorsey had already left the trio

You said, and I quote:

I'm not disputing that he may have played with Johnny Burnette on dogshit like "Dreamin." But that's not the R&R Trio.

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:43 pm 

StuBass wrote:
:freak:
Bruce wrote:
StuBass wrote:

You said, and I quote:

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

It's boring to you to be proven wrong?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:46 pm 

StuBass wrote:
Bruce wrote:
StuBass wrote:

I didn't say that was the ONLY session Moore played with Johnny Burnette (I was only picking out the most obvious from what YOU listed, and there were obviously other sessions as often happens which were likely not historically documented) since Dorsey had already left the trio (and did NOT play on the March 22 session at The Bradley Studio in Nashville) which has been documented ...but quite honestly, this discussion is getting a bit ridiculous. Enjoy your turkey.

If they did any other sessions, (which I highly doubt since they recorded for a major label that documented everything), nothing has ever been released.

What's your documentation for Moore being on the March 1957 session? I already posted my documentation to refute it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:55 pm 

Bruce wrote:
If they did any other sessions, (which I highly doubt since they recorded for a major label that documented everything), nothing has ever been released.

What's your documentation for Moore being on the March 1957 session? I already posted my documentation to refute it.

Okay, according to Wikipedia this is still in dispute. Escott and Adam K say that Dorsey and Paul were at the March 1957 session, but two French guys agree with you.

Despite their earlier failures, Coral still seemed to have faith in the commercial future of The Rock and Roll Trio, even with their revamped line-up. On March 22, 1957 they organized what was to be the Trio’s last recording session at the Bradley Studio in Nashville, Tennessee.. On this occasion, however, the identity of the personnel involved is open to question. Adam Komorowski has stated that despite the split, Dorsey was forced to attend this session because of contractual obligations. According to the discography used by Colin Escott of Showtime Magazine, Dorsey, Johnny and Paul took part in this session. According to Nashville session double bassist Bob Moore who was present at the Nashville sessions, Dorsey and Paul were replaced by himself and Grady Martin.

French researchers Gilles Vignal and Marc Alesina, however, have produced a discography which has only Johnny Burnette present at the session. According to them, Burnette played acoustic guitar and sang vocals, whilst Thomas Grady Martin played electric guitar, Bob L. Moore played string bass and Farris Coursey was on drums. On this session, four tracks, "Touch Me", "If You Want Enough", "Butterfingers" and "Eager Beaver Baby" were cut. Taking a cue from Elvis and the Jordanaires, Owen Bradley lined up a vocal group for two tracks: "Butterfingers" and "If You Want It Enough". Following the session Johnny and the Trio toured with Gene Vincent, and in published snapshots, only Johnny Burnette, Paul Burlison and Johnny Black appear with Gene Vincent.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:01 pm 

Bruce wrote:
StuBass wrote:
Bruce wrote:
StuBass wrote:

Final thought...dinner is waiting...

French researchers Gilles Virgnal and Marc Alesina documented the March 22nd session in Nashville along with Moores own recollection. Following that session Johnny Burnette, Paul Burleson, and Johnny Black began touring with Gene Vincent, but that ensemble dissapated shortly thereafter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:13 pm 

Sorry, but here's MORE documentation regarding Moores participation with Johnny Burnette and the Trio. Grady Martin states on his website that Moore played absolutely FOR SURE on Johnny Burnettes sessions on July 4, 1956 and March 22, 1957. In addition, another session was scheduled for July 5, 1956...but Moore had a prior commitment for a television gig at CBS, and even though the session would have paid twice as much, Moore fulfilled his commitment to CBS.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:14 pm 

StuBass wrote:
French researchers Gilles Virgnal and Marc Alesina documented the March 22nd session in Nashville along with Moores own recollection.

Okay, if true then Moore played rockabilly in March, 1957, three years after Bill Black originated the style.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:16 pm 

StuBass wrote:
Sorry, but here's MORE documentation regarding Moores participation with Johnny Burnette and the Trio. Grady Martin states on his website that Moore played absolutely FOR SURE on Johnny Burnettes sessions on July 4, 1956 and March 22, 1957. In addition, another session was scheduled for July 5, 1956...but Moore had a prior commitment for a television gig at CBS, and even though the session would have paid twice as much, Moore fulfilled his commitment to CBS.

Boy, Grady has a great memory that he can recall specific events from 55 years ago, events that disagree with the session notes. I guess Dorsey just stood aside and let Moore play on July 4?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next