It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 919 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing right now?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:59 am 

Game.co.uk dispatched my Fable 3 on Sunday even though it's released Friday... arrive already :clashwho:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:43 pm 

I shipped it to my house with release date shipping and it was one day late which wouldn't be so bad if I didn't go back to school that night. On the other hand at least I was able to complete homework before halloween weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:23 pm 

Arrived today, a day early... loving it so far, fixed everything I didn't like about Fable 2 and then there's even more great stuff... wicked :cheers:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:42 pm 

Turtles In Time:
It really is the best beat em' up ever, most beat em' use a simple one-button scheme than can get boring, but here you're in complete control. Only shitty thing is, how come you lose life when you rush attack? I guess because it makes it really easy to kill guys, but still, I was wondering why I was dying left and right without taking any hits.

Donkey Kong Country 3:
All the criticisms I've heard about this game have to do with either A) Playing as Dixie and Kiddie, B) Not changing anything in the gameplay and C) Easy. Well, can't comment on easy since I just started and Dixie happens to be my favorite character, but B's bullshit, this game changes a lot, and not in a good way. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something seems off, it's like Dixie and Kiddie decided to tie 10 pound rocks to their shoes for this adventure. And what's with the gay ass fucking elephant? Kiddie's a complete useless faggot too, so I try to stay Dixie as much as possible. The level design doesn't seem too bad so far, but it's really kind of a generic interpretation of the series. The thing that makes DKC2 my favorite of the series is not because they did anything particularly better than the first, but it changes the atmosphere drastically, it's a really dark, moody platformer for something that's about monkeys shooting themselves out of barrels (not to mention THE BEST video game soundtrack of all-time). I can't even tell what they're trying to do here. DKC1 utilized jungle as its theme and DKC2 is basically a pirate theme, but this one's like... huh? Well, as long as the level designs good, I should still enjoy it.

Contra III:
I was pissed when I found out there's no Konami code here, but I figured out why; even though it's still hard as all hell, it's much easier than the other Contra's I've played, one I get down the dynamics, this should be a walk in the park... a walk in the part in Baltimore, but nonetheless.

Kirby Superstar:
Incredibly easy, not quite as fun as I remember, but I only played it for like 30 minutes, so I'll reserve judgement.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:06 pm 

that_guy wrote:
Turtles In Time:
It really is the best beat em' up ever, most beat em' use a simple one-button scheme than can get boring, but here you're in complete control. Only shitty thing is, how come you lose life when you rush attack? I guess because it makes it really easy to kill guys, but still, I was wondering why I was dying left and right without taking any hits.

Because very powerful attacks that deplete health is a beat em up standard. And for good reason as it adds strategy to the game and keeps you from being too powerful at all times.

Not the programmers fault that they didn't expect dumbasses like you to abuse attacks and not even realise that they deplete health. Maybe it would have helped if you actually played a freaking beat em up before.

Quote:
Donkey Kong Country 3:
All the criticisms I've heard about this game have to do with either A) Playing as Dixie and Kiddie, B) Not changing anything in the gameplay and C) Easy. Well, can't comment on easy since I just started and Dixie happens to be my favorite character, but B's bullshit, this game changes a lot, and not in a good way. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something seems off, it's like Dixie and Kiddie decided to tie 10 pound rocks to their shoes for this adventure. And what's with the gay ass fucking elephant? Kiddie's a complete useless faggot too, so I try to stay Dixie as much as possible. The level design doesn't seem too bad so far, but it's really kind of a generic interpretation of the series. The thing that makes DKC2 my favorite of the series is not because they did anything particularly better than the first, but it changes the atmosphere drastically, it's a really dark, moody platformer for something that's about monkeys shooting themselves out of barrels (not to mention THE BEST video game soundtrack of all-time). I can't even tell what they're trying to do here. DKC1 utilized jungle as its theme and DKC2 is basically a pirate theme, but this one's like... huh? Well, as long as the level designs good, I should still enjoy it.

Eat shit this game is awesome. I do disagree with those who say it's the best though and I do prefer the first two.

Quote:
Contra III:
I was pissed when I found out there's no Konami code here, but I figured out why; even though it's still hard as all hell, it's much easier than the other Contra's I've played, one I get down the dynamics, this should be a walk in the park... a walk in the part in Baltimore, but nonetheless.

Hard Corps for the Genesis is the hardest in the series. No Konami Code and the most intense boss fights in the series. Even on two player it's insanely tough. It's a kickass game, it even has branching pathes like Castlevania III.

Contra III is the easiest in the series, but it's still damn hard, and damn awesome.

Quote:
Kirby Superstar:
Incredibly easy, not quite as fun as I remember, but I only played it for like 30 minutes, so I'll reserve judgement.

You don't know what fun is, yeah it's pretty damn easy, every Kirby game is. But it's a blast, I enjoy each minigame but the main platforming based games is prime Kirby. It's a good contender with Kirby Adventures for best in the series. Definitely one of my favorite games ever and in my top 10 SNES games.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:45 pm 

boo boo wrote:
Because very powerful attacks that deplete health is a beat em up standard. And for good reason as it adds strategy to the game and keeps you from being too powerful at all times.

Not the programmers fault that they didn't expect dumbasses like you to abuse attacks and not even realise that they deplete health. Maybe it would have helped if you actually played a freaking beat em up before.

Uh, huh, I said that at the end of my post.

Maybe if you'd learn to read, not only would you stop making stupid posts like this, but you can start reading the calorie contents on the foods you eat, too.

Quote:
Eat shit this game is awesome. I do disagree with those who say it's the best though and I do prefer the first two.

So let me get this straight, you think a Nintendo published game is awesome? Get out of town!

Quote:
You don't know what fun is, yeah it's pretty damn easy, every Kirby game is. But it's a blast, I enjoy each minigame but the main platforming based games is prime Kirby. It's a good contender with Kirby Adventures for best in the series. Definitely one of my favorite games ever and in my top 10 SNES games

Every boo boo review ever written: Fuck you, asshole, this game's great! Any criticisms or observations you have are due to your poor gaming skills! Think the controls are odd? It's cause you suck at games! Think the game's too easy? It has something to do with you owning an X-Box! Wah! Wah! Wah!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:40 pm 

Fucking around with Starcraft 2. I'm making an effort to actually be great with Zerg rather than just passable. Hard.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:44 pm 

Dude, Contra III might be my new favorite game of the 90's... well, Street Fighter II's always gonna edge it out based on nostalgia, but CIII will edge out my current second favorite being the Star Wars Trilogy. They're the same style of game and both very difficult, but CIII's an overall better game. Where the Star Wars Trilogy's difficulty can be cheap, Contra plays it like Drill Sargent Hartman, tough, but fair.

You see, when I play the Star Wars Trilogy, surviving sometimes means getting lucky, Contra III is based on pure skill, no one to blame but yourself. Every level I beat is a greatly satisfying experience, and I'm only on normal mode. I've only ever played the original and Super C, but both of those were really out of shape cartridges so I felt I never got to experience the true nature of the Contra games, now I get the hype. Yeah, I'm putting it at number 3 on my list. I need to hurry up and get me a Genesis so I can play Hard Corps.

Also got Maniac Mansion, finally, I'm new at adventure games, so I don't have any thoughts on it thus far besides Razor is hot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:14 am 

You don't have a Genesis?

The SNES is great but I if I ever had to choose I'd give it to the Genesis. It's probably my favorite video game system.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:27 pm 

boo boo wrote:
You don't have a Genesis?

The SNES is great but I if I ever had to choose I'd give it to the Genesis. It's probably my favorite video game system.

I'm planning on getting one just as soon as all the SNES games I want are marked off my list, I have left: DKC1, Yoshi's Island, Earthbound, Final Fantasy 3, Super Mario RPG, Breath Of Fire 2, Illusion Of Gaia, Soul Blazer, Super Star Wars, Lufia I & 2, R-Type 3, Secret Of Evermore, Actraiser 2, Breath Of Fire 1 & 2, The Adventures Of Batman and Robin, and I think that's it. Most of those games are pretty accessible save Earthbound, Lufia, and Batman and Robin.

There's this girl who said she'd sell me her Genesis/CD and Saturn for $10, all I need to get is the cords for them, but that deal seems botched by now. I've already started up my Genesis collection, got Comix Zone, Phantasy Star 2, Streets Of Rage 2 and Rocket Knight Adventures. Still, a Genesis should be no problem considering the console and games are almost disposable next to the prices for SNES stuff. I'm more worried about the Saturn, it seems to fetch a pretty penny.

I don't know, though, the thought of owning a Genesis doesn't excite me as much as when I started with my NES and SNES, mostly cause I'm a big RPG guy (well, not nowadays, but I like to play the classics and Genesis doesn't seem to offer much besides Shining Force, Phantasy Star, and Lunar for the CD (and I heard that one's only in Japan). What really sucks is that most of the RPGs I wanna go for are on Playstation and it feels like a waste getting one of those since the PS3 is backwards compatible (is it?).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:20 am 

Genesis does have a few great RPGs like the Phantasy Stars, Shining Force's, Shadowrun and action RPGs like Landstalker and Beyond Oasis.

But yeah it's greatest strength has always been straightforward action games.

Anyway. I still want a Saturn. Nights Into Dreams, the Panzer Dragoon games, Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes, Burning Heroes, Dragon Force and Saturn Bomberman are all games I've heard great things about. I also hear that it's fighting arcade ports are generally excellent and much superior to the PS1 versions.

And you are correct, PS3 is compatible with PS1 games, not all of them, but most of them. But I'm not sure if that includes every version of the PS3.

I think the initial PS3 could play PS2 games even but they decided that wasn't a good idea as games for the PS2 were still being produced.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:53 am 

I don't know if PS3 would be compatible with a low-key game like Grandia (I don't see why it wouldn't, but the word "most" scares me), which is the game I most want to play, G2's my favorite game ever, and everyone says G1's better, so yeah. I was gonna get it for the Saturn when I got it, but apparently it was only released in Japan, what a jib.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:09 am 

If I had the money I would do the AVGN thing and create my own fucking museum of video game hardware. I play emulators but they can never compare to the real thing, I dunno, maybe that "aura" shit Dreww went on about wasn't so stupid after all.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:48 am 

You don't need money, I'm working on it and I don't have money. All it takes is time and health.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:12 am 

What do you mean I don't need money?

I've tried using a Saturn emulator, but I don't think I'll figure out how to get ISOs to work, I would actually have to get someone to do it for me and I don't know anyone who would know that stuff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 919 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 62  Next