DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Cartoons (Under Revision)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:43 am 

Machine Head wrote:
beaverteeth92 wrote:
Because those three are acclaimed as hell and appeal to a ton of demographics. Have you seen the fanbases Phineas & Ferb and Adventure Time have? For god's sake, Adventure Time appeals to small children, stoners, guys in their 20s, guys in their 40s, teenage girls, etc.

Do you have proof of this?
beaverteeth92 wrote:
And the show has managed to keep a consistently good quality through it's entire run while appealing to all those demographics.

Subjective.
beaverteeth92 wrote:
The first season has a 9.2 on Metacritic and a lot of people say it's the worst.

Don't know where you got this info but the first season only has an 8.9 user score, and none of the seasons so far have a metascore. Phineas and Ferb did worse, with only a 7.1 user score.
Also, on the IMDB:
-Phineas and Ferb has a score of 8.0/10 from 2,214 ratings
-Adventure Time has a score of 9.1/10 from 1,834 ratings
-Futurama has a score of 9.0/10 from 41,960 ratings
The fact that Futurama gets a 9 from over 40000 ratings shows more acclaim/popularity to me than AT getting a 9.1 from only 2000 ratings
beaverteeth92 wrote:
As for Phineas & Ferb, just read the TVTropes page.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... easAndFerb

So what? What is that supposed to tell me?

1. http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/k ... ture_time/
http://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/c ... ocalyptic/

Consider the average Reddit demographic and notice how both of these threads have virtually no negative comments. I'd also cite a bunch of stoners I know who watch the series obsessively, but I'm not going to interview them for proof. There's also a ten-page thread on a message board I'm on, but it's impossible to view it unless you're a member. Pnoom is the only member of this website (as far as I know) that is also on it.

2. Look at the fanbase from each season and the overall reviews the series has gotten. It's almost like Arrested Development in terms of how consistent it's been.

3. It may have changed when I checked last, but an 8.9 is still ridiculously high. Phineas and Ferb's ratings and overall acclaim come from areas besides Metacritic (like IMDB, as you noted)

4. I don't see anything wrong with allowing Futurama to be above both those shows. But they should be somewhere on this list and 2000 votes is still more than enough to draw a conclusion. Hell, most statistics classes use n = 30 to 100 as a minimal value for any kind of analysis.

5. It shows much effort goes into writing every episode and the sheer density of the series.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:37 pm 

boo boo wrote:
Compared to say Family Guy. Which gave us Drawn Together. :evil:

And what the fuck is wrong with Drawn Together?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:49 am 

It's horribly written and animated and represents everything wrong with modern animation?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:59 pm 

I still hate South Park being that high, but I guess it does have lots of endurance and popularity going for it.

Great list though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:13 pm 

boo boo wrote:
It's horribly written and animated and represents everything wrong with modern animation?

Bullshit!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:51 am 

It's not bullshit, that show is terrible.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:13 pm 

It's a blatant parody of reality shows in general, which suck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:13 pm 

Okay, so if we revise this list, there are six shows that absolutely need to be added:

Adventure Time
Regular Show
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
Phineas and Ferb
Bob's Burgers
Archer

Seriously, the fact that no one has managed to bring up Archer in this thread is a crime.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:10 am 

Great suggestions, beav.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:10 pm 

All,

I've done a quick revision of the Top 100 and have added many new names to the "considerations" list. Any glaring omissions?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:34 am 

Not an omission, but I'd combine the Fleischer shorts (Betty Boop, Felix the Cat, Popeye, etc.) into a single entry for the same reason as the Looney Tunes and Disney ones.

16 should explicitly be "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?!" All other Scooby-Doo shows derive from it, and it's the original with the classic "It was really X all along!" setup.

Other than that, I'd recommend dropping "Hong Kong Phooey", "Top Cat", and "Wacky Races". I don't see them being on the list for any reason other than being old Hanna-Barbera cartoons. Switch them with Adventure Time, Archer, and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. The sheer cult following of MLP and its huge popularity across multiple demographics should give it a Top 100 spot. Same with Adventure Time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:23 am 

I feel like DBZ should move up. It's still popular in every country I have visited.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:24 pm 

The issue with moving Dragonball Z up is that, to be fair, every show above it on this list beats it. Animation has a huge history and a ton of shows, so #20 is as far up as it can get.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:40 pm 

beaverteeth92 wrote:
Not an omission, but I'd combine the Fleischer shorts (Betty Boop, Felix the Cat, Popeye, etc.) into a single entry for the same reason as the Looney Tunes and Disney ones.

The Fleischer's had nothing to do with Felix the Cat.

I wouldn't object to combining all the Fleischer studios cartoons except for the fact that Popeye, Superman and Screen Songs were eventually handed over to Famous Studios so if you were to just lump everything together based on the studio you would have to divide some series between the different studios that handled them over the years.

Quote:
16 should explicitly be "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?!" All other Scooby-Doo shows derive from it, and it's the original with the classic "It was really X all along!" setup.

Well by your previous logic what's wrong with lumping it all together? Scooby Doo is a pretty big franchise.

Quote:
Other than that, I'd recommend dropping "Hong Kong Phooey", "Top Cat", and "Wacky Races". I don't see them being on the list for any reason other than being old Hanna-Barbera cartoons. Switch them with Adventure Time, Archer, and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. The sheer cult following of MLP and its huge popularity across multiple demographics should give it a Top 100 spot. Same with Adventure Time.

Yeah and now I already hate you.

Regardless of how you feel about their quality a lot of Hanna-Barbera cartoons have lasting popularity, especially Wacky Races which is still heavily recognised in American popular culture despite being a show that lasted 17 episodes, pretty impressive I say.

Friendship is Magic should never be on this list. I don't give a fuck how popular or acclaimed it is, I don't give a fuck if revisionists 50 years from now hail it as a masterpiece. Fuck that cartoon, fuck everyone who likes it, I'm biased.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:53 pm 

beaverteeth92 wrote:

I know what you mean, but the main reason I have grouped-entries for Looney Tunes and Disney is that their respective characters are often featured in the same cartoon short (e.g. Donald is often found in Mickey cartoons, and vice versa). I think having Popeye and Betty Boop as individual entries is okay. I may even add, next to the criteria, a note concerning reasons and specific cases for grouping.

beaverteeth92 wrote:

Thanks for pointing that out. I agree.

beaverteeth92 wrote:

Those Hanna-Barbera entries are all significant, if not landmark, cartoons for that studio -- and I often see them included in 'great cartoons' lists. I'm not too sure about removing them.

Good call on MLP, though. It may not be Top 100 material yet, but it's highly acclaimed and popular. I was also thinking Phineas and Ferb could possibly crack the Top 100.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next