DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Most Underrated Bass Players
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:05 am 

This is a list of the 20 most underrated bass players according to John Barrett...

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/list ... music.html

Post subject: Re: Most Underrated Bass Players
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:26 am 

Some of those mentioned may be underrated, but most of those mentioned are quite well represented on our Greatest 100 list here on DDD. Not mentioned in this article and the REAL underrated players are several of those who have played on hundreds of session tracks but who are not well known in the "band" circuit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:52 pm 

I think this list was pretty accurate in terms of how often certain players are truly praised for their playing, even if they are popular. McCartney was a perfect example, as his bass playing really doesn't get enough credit. "Something" is just an incredible performance.

But anyway, here are some more ridiculously underrated bassists:

Stuart Zender - Jamiroquai
Nick Fyfe - Jamiroquai
Randy Hope-Taylor - Incognito and lots of other bands
Neil Jason - Brecker Brothers, session man
John Klingberg - Van Morrison
Rick James
Jerry Jemmot - King Curtis, session man
Nathan Watts - session man (even if he is on our list)
Peter Cetera - Chicago (no seriously)
Lemmy - Mötorhead, Hawkwind (listen to the stuff on Space Ritual)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:58 am 

I say fucking HELL YES on Tina Weymouth. I also agree on Sting and Colin Greenwood and it's nice to see Tim Commerford in there too.

But some choices befuddle me. Geezer Butler? Jone Paul Jones? Tony Levin? I thought everyone agreed that those guys were awesome?

And James Jamerson? He may not be a household name, but he tops damn near every greatest bassist list he appears on and he wouldn't if he wasn't one of the most highly respected guys in his field.

I agree that Paul McCartney's bass playing doesnt get as much credit as his songwriting, as it truly was a crucial part of The Beatles sound, but still, he's a fucking Beatle, I'd say he gets a lot of recognition for his playing.

I love making lists so I'll make up one of my own after a while.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:12 pm 

I think this list was more for people who don't know much about bass playing. Outside of music circles, Tony Levin and James Jamerson are virtually unknown. Geezer and John Paul Jones seem to be on there because everyone else in their bands overshadowed them. Black Sabbath is Ozzy and Tony to most people, which leads to forgetting how important Geezer was.

With Led Zeppelin, it's like "My god. You have the greatest rock singer of all time, a fucking BEAST on guitar, and a drummer that makes it thunder like Zeus! Also there's this other guy that does stuff."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:16 pm 

You're right and it fucking pisses me off.

TVTropes actually called Butler and Ward the "Garfunkel" of Black Sabbath. Fuck whoever wrote that nonsense.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:48 am 

It's not false. They both didn't get nearly as much attention as Ozzy and Tony, which sucks. I mean Geezer wrote all their LYRICS for god's sake.

You see the same thing happening in The Doors with Ray Manzarek's awesome organ playing being overshadowed by Jim Morrison. Ditto for John Deacon and Roger Taylor being overshadowed by Freddie Mercury and Brian May in Queen, even though they all contributed equally to the music.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:06 am 

Unfortunately the TVTropes definition of "The Garfunkel" means a member who didn't really contribute anything.

TVTropes are fun by furries though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:34 pm 

Just checked the actual page. It says Geezer's contributions were lesser once Dio joined, which is certainly true. Unfortunately, Dio wasn't nearly as good a lyricist.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:57 pm 

I think punk has some very underrated bassists. Not all punk bassists are just inaudible mimics of the guitarist like Dee Dee Ramone and Jerry Only.

Post punk has some excellent bass work. Peter Hook (Joy Division, New Order), JJ Burnel (The Stranglers), Simon Gallop (The Cure), Jah Wobble (Public Image LTD), Barry Adamson (Magazine) and David Allen (Gang of Four) come to mind.

Paul Simonon (The Clash), Bruce Foxton (The Jam), Darryl Jenifer (Bad Brains), Klaus Flouride (Dead Kennedys) and Joe Lally (Fugazi) are also great players.

But Mike Watt (Minutemen) reigns supreme as the best punk bassist. Ok maybe Matt Freeman is technically better, but he's in Rancid so fuck that guy.

Oh and if you're a good prog bassist and you weren't in Yes or King Crimson, you're probably underrated.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:28 am 

Agreed. I'm still shocked Simonon is nowhere on the main list.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:25 am 

Mike Watt is a terrific bassist. He sucessfully trancended "punk" to show his versatility in other genres like his work with Kelly Clarkson, etc. He understands and appreciates the history of bass guitar and strives to do the instrument justice. I suppose that many "punk" artists can and do transcend that generic buttonhole and stretch their abilities, since quite frankly, "punk" is not generally a genre that garners across the board respect from the more commercially popular genres.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:29 am 

Punk is more a genre of philosophy than a specific kind of sound like metal. The subgenres are as vast as you can get, I can't find any real connection between 2 Tone and Psychobilly, or New Wave and Hardcore.

And post punk in particular is very diverse, none of those bands sound like stereotypical punk bands.

Rob Wright of NoMeansNo is another one I should have mentioned.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:52 am 

the most underrated bass player to this site is james jamerson , the guy can own the top 5 in best basslines as well as bass performances, yet he is barely on either list.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:57 am 

Yes, #1 on our all time greatest rock bassists list, and we're underrating him, sure.