It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Forgotten Albums
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:01 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:21 pm
Posts: 614
boo boo wrote:
Several of these are highly influencial albums so I wouldn't say they're forgotten so much as underrated. Or maybe they're forgotten by the general public, if that's what you mean.

Electric Warrior is a weird choice, it has a massive influence on popular music, gets much of it's due credit for bringing glam rock into the mainstream and had a huge hit in Get It On which is still a radio staple today.


Good point. Suggest a replacement and I'll make the change.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Forgotten Albums
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:12 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:32 pm
Posts: 2250
Location: The Vortex
2. Gilded Palace of Sin - The Flying Burrito Brothers

Awesome, awesome album and band. It's true that they're oft' forgotten -- and it's a shame.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Forgotten Albums
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:36 pm
Posts: 13374
Location: the shit kingdom, I am the lord of this region
Rick wrote:
boo boo wrote:
Several of these are highly influencial albums so I wouldn't say they're forgotten so much as underrated. Or maybe they're forgotten by the general public, if that's what you mean.

Electric Warrior is a weird choice, it has a massive influence on popular music, gets much of it's due credit for bringing glam rock into the mainstream and had a huge hit in Get It On which is still a radio staple today.


Good point. Suggest a replacement and I'll make the change.


The Slider? The often overlooked follow up?

EDIT: I see it's already listed. So I dunno. I have to come back to you on that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Forgotten Albums
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:13 am
Posts: 172
I wouldn't exactly call 'Transformer' by Lou Reed a forgotten album. It is widely considered his best effort as a solo artist. I would definitely change it for 'Berlin'. It is such a special album and a very good one, too! And most people don't even know it exists.

Edit: Besides that, Rock And Roll Animal by Lou Reed is a Live Album, so it shouldn't even be on the list I guess. You can change that one for 'Berlin'. :biggrin:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Forgotten Albums
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:38 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:21 pm
Posts: 614
Johnny wrote:
Rock And Roll Animal by Lou Reed is a Live Album, so it shouldn't even be on the list I guess. You can change that one for 'Berlin'. :biggrin:


Good call. Thanks & change made.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Forgotten Albums
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:30 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:52 pm
Posts: 2727
If you're still looking for a replacement for Electric Warrior, The Immortal Otis Redding might be a possibility.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Forgotten Albums
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:10 am 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:21 pm
Posts: 614
Brian wrote:
If you're still looking for a replacement for Electric Warrior, The Immortal Otis Redding might be a possibility.


Sounds like a winner unless it's a compilation which disqualifies it based on the criteria. I will look into it, thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Forgotten Albums
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:55 am
Posts: 437
Can You Fly by Freedy Johnston should probably be somewhere... His songwriting is flawless, his lyrics ar philosophical and mature, there isn't really any fillers, very acclaimed... And sorta overlooked...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Forgotten Albums
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:36 pm
Posts: 13374
Location: the shit kingdom, I am the lord of this region
Johnny wrote:
I wouldn't exactly call 'Transformer' by Lou Reed a forgotten album. It is widely considered his best effort as a solo artist. I would definitely change it for 'Berlin'. It is such a special album and a very good one, too! And most people don't even know it exists.

Edit: Besides that, Rock And Roll Animal by Lou Reed is a Live Album, so it shouldn't even be on the list I guess. You can change that one for 'Berlin'. :biggrin:


I back this, critics hated Berlin when it came out (because hating on concept albums was so trendy) but it's been gaining a strong fanbase over the years.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Forgotten Albums
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:03 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:21 pm
Posts: 614
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Otis is now on the list, temporarily at #66.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Forgotten Albums
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:57 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:52 pm
Posts: 2727
You're welcome, Rick.

Hendrix wrote:
Can You Fly by Freedy Johnston should probably be somewhere... His songwriting is flawless, his lyrics ar philosophical and mature, there isn't really any fillers, very acclaimed... And sorta overlooked...

That's a favorite of mine, and I agree that's there's no true filler. There are a couple of songs that I think are just OK, but I would say that about almost every album.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Forgotten Albums
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:56 am 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:21 pm
Posts: 614
Done.
194. Can You Fly - Freedy Johnston



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Forgotten Albums
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:13 am
Posts: 172
I consider that some albums in this list are all but forgotten:

White Light/White Heat: It isn't. It is actually very well regarded and has some classic Velvet Underground songs like White Light/White Heat and Sister Ray.

Gilded Palace Of Sin: Could be a bit lower. It has garnered a lot of cult status in recent years.

Odessey & Oracle: Same as Gilded Palace Of Sin. They were forgotten for a couple of years, but now they appear in every list of best albums ever.

Marquee Moon: It's more popular than ever right now. With such bands as The Strokes being influenced by it, they get a lot of love.

They don't necessarily have to be erased from the list, but those are very big and important albums. There is no way they are forgotten.

There are other albums I think really have been forgotten but I don't know if they could fit:

Rush - Fly By Night

The Vines - Highly Evolved: For this one, there would have to be a change in the criteria. I think it was realeased in 2002 or something, but in the beginning they were loved by everyone. They were hailed as the saviors of rock&roll along with The Strokes and White Stripes. But now they don't get that much love and that album has been forgotten. Some people compared them to Nirvana and people somehow seem to have forgotten about it. That, because everything they did later couldn't live up to what they did in their debut. They couldn't live up to the expectations.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Forgotten Albums
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:52 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:21 pm
Posts: 614
All of your comments have been noted. Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

DigitalDreamDoor Forum is one part of a music and movie list website whose owner has given its visitors
the privilege to discuss music and movies, and has no control and cannot in any way be held liable over
how, or by whom this board is used. If you read or see anything inappropriate that has been posted,
contact webmaster@digitaldreamdoor.com. Comments in the forum are reviewed before list updates.
Topics include rock music, metal, rap, hip-hop, blues, jazz, songs, albums, guitar, drums, musicians...


DDD Home Page | DDD Music Lists Page | DDD Movie Lists Page