DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 693 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: DDD Singer Resumes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:38 pm 

Behringer's microphone, it has damn great quality.

The wavery sound came because I was trying to sing the song without lyrics but few times peaked to see how they were! :loL:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:59 pm 

Just a quick question.. Is it possible that a lower baritone singer could have a very strong head voice, but can't sing with a softer tone and maintain volume, and instead sing the soft head notes in a falsetto on the low end of the 5th octave?

Do a lot of these singers do that? I think I might have to elaborate, because if that means it isn't head voice, then Vedder's low 5th octave screams aren't head because he can't do them in a soft head.. Get me?

I mean, I can sing high up in the 5th octave with rasp and project over my speakers as I blast them, but I couldn't sing in a falsetto-y soft Yorke/Buckley-ish sort of croon. It'd be too strained and my voice would quickly become fatigued.. I guess it's weird.

Just curious about this.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:13 pm 

It is all about technique, you have to train to get the proper technique to maintain strenght between softer and grittier voice. Baritones like Patton, Gildenlöw, Valo and Gnecco (man, he really owns when it comes to this department) have succeeded with it, for example.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:18 pm 

But not being able to do it doesn't mean you're NOT singing in head voice, correct? I'm content with just using falsetto, I don't think my voice is able to do it and I'm cool with that..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:30 pm 

Head voice is a really wide term and I think that we are describing different things when talking about head voice.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:43 pm 

Yeah, sorry to confuse you. :tiphat: I confuse myself sometimes..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:07 pm 

Muse - New Born - http://picosong.com/Zwa/ - I love singing this song (though I had to sing some of those low falsetto parts one octave higher because of my extremely uncomfortable cracky low falsetto in 4th octave) and I think it succeeded pretty well, those falsetto notes are so much fun. I did it in hurry so few parts have few mistakes (wavery mic etc.) but whatever.

http://picosong.com/ZwZ/ - Here is clearer version of my falsetto in the song during one part (really short clip), this was my personal favourite moment of the cover and I think it sounded good, especially the second note.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:54 pm 

A video of "Edge Of Glory" my friend and I did a couple months ago. Audio quality sucks, but hopefully the singing quality doesn't.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP6tdVQ1KG0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:08 am 

Nice shirtless performance, great vocals! You sounded a bit like Morten Harket (=good) in that video.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:47 pm 

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zgngu4

Anyone familiar with Buckley's "Once I Was"?

I've still been practicing, just finally got a mic and so I'm starting to jam out and record random stuff while building on my current material with what little instrumentation I've got.

Do I hit the falsetto-y/head voice notes, regardless of the color/tone? I notice that to my ears my voice is hitting the same notes as buckley, but it obviously doesn't have the same tonal quality, and it's not as relaxed (working on this!).. I'm not sure if it's something I can really change about my natural vocal "weight" or timbre.. Or if I'm even singing the correct notes altogether, for that matter.. my ears seem to be deceiving me, weird. lol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:00 am 

Wow, really good cover. I loved your tone around 0:20-1:00, sounded a bit like mixture of Dave Gahan and David Coverdale.

Your higher notes sounded like light full voice (great vibrato on them), really good. Jeff Buckley's songs are really tricky to sing for baritones, mostly because of those quick switches from chestier voice to really light passages.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:21 pm 

Well, that's the problem for me, it's very hard for me to get very light airy head voice sounding notes.. But you think I did a good job? It still doesn't sound as ethereal and high to me as it should, but I guess it's the same note so it doesn't matter.

Thanks for the positive comments too, man, I'm still practicing.. My sleep patterns have a lot to do with me not being 110% of what I COULD be.. I've been staying up until 5 in the morning every day for the past two or three weeks, I shit you not, as I'm out of school and have nothing better to do. lol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:42 am 

You did REALLY good job. My biggest problem nowadays isn't going up high, it is changing between different registers and singing lightly (and going low with falsetto is really hard for me as opposed to going high which is really easy for me).

I know the feeling: I used to record music until 5 in the morning too, I had to stop it though because I felt like I wasted all my days doing that so late.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:21 pm 

The opposite's for me; easy low falsetto, difficult high falsetto, but on the days when it's ON, I can scale up into the 6th octave clean and full.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:04 am 

Low falsetto is the hardest part in singing for me: I can't sing "Supermassive Black Hole" properly but I can hit all of Matt's higher notes easily.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 693 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 47  Next