DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guitarists' Den
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:32 pm 

Life sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:42 am 

I don't think one should put too much faith in that, considering Holdsworth didn't start playing guitar until he was in his late teens. It really just depends on how focused you are, and how much time you spend honing your chops, learning more and more about the instrument.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:14 am 

Speaking of which, what does everyone think of the Ibanez Artcore? I got it, hearing that it was a good beginner's guitar and I like it well enough, especially for how long it's kept its tune (I have a tendency to break strings when tuning guitars).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:18 pm 

just keep practicing, you'll learn in time. If you're trying to teach yourself the only way you're going to learn is through repetition and trial and error, like with most things that are self-taught. I didn't start playing until I was about 18 and it took me until this past year to get comfortable playing bar chords, and they still give me trouble every now and then. I'm 22 now and while starting at a younger age probably would've made things easier it's not a reason to get discouraged because I still have the passion to learn and improve regardless of any dexterous disadvatages. I hope you can start to feel the same way, just watch some youtube videos on playing bar-chords and keep practicing. It will come in time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:10 pm 

This is true, it does take time, but also finding the right way to learn. Most of my playing comes from me trying and failing on my own, and gradually improving. Some things I never did learn properly, so I decided to consult a guitar teacher to see if he might be able to help me out. Something as simple as moving the chords around while playing rhythm, I just couldn't nail it using tabs, or by listening to records. Frustrating for sure, especially since I've been playing for so many years.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:26 pm 

Well, I am improving on my chords. I've learned how to switch from E-major to E-minor.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:36 pm 

switching from E to a-minor is easy also

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:03 pm 

Had a play around with my new rig today and it sounds sweet as fuck. My decision to buy in a Digitech DigiDelay rather than the much more expensive Malekko Lo-Fi Ekko has payed off, as I get an insane amount of versatility between that and my Boss DD-3. I'm also extremely impressed with my Moen Holy Choir chorus. It's an extremely subtle pedal but it makes my clean tone sound all the better.

The only thing I really desire now is a more extreme fuzz than my Electro-Harmonix Little Big Muff. I have my eye on the Devi Ever Noise Floor at the moment, as from what I've seen of it it can make some really insane noise.

Fuck I love playing in a post-rock band.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:51 am 

that_guy wrote:
Well, I am improving on my chords. I've learned how to switch from E-major to E-minor.

You lifted your index finger?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:53 am 

Forgotten Son wrote:
The only thing I really desire now is a more extreme fuzz than my Electro-Harmonix Little Big Muff. I have my eye on the Devi Ever Noise Floor at the moment, as from what I've seen of it it can make some really insane noise.

You really can't go wrong with a Fuzz Factory. I have one, and it's way too extreme for my use. Still love it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:53 pm 

I bought a birthday present for myself:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:09 am 

Installed!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:25 am 

Nice :cool:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:37 am 

That pic was posted on my Facebook wall by the guy who installed it, I'm heading over there now to pick it up. I can't wait to finally try it out with sound! The whole thing has been built according to my instructions, and I've never once heard it or tried it out, it's all based on my own ideas about what this guitar needs to sound as good as possible.

Sound clips, and hopefully video clips, will be posted.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:42 pm 

Underwhelmed. :sad:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 21  Next