It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Rock Keyboardists/Pianists
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:13 pm 

Quote:
23. Jens Johansen (Yngwie Malmsteen)
36. Derek Sherinian (Dream Theater)
39. Tony MacAlpine
65. Michael Pinella (Symphony X)
97. Janne Warman (Children of Bodom, Warmen)

I'll give you credit for recognizing Tony MacAlpine and Janne Warman. It's suprising that MacAlpine is actually acknowledged for his keyboard work, but I can't see the reasoning behind why he is placed in front of Pinella and Warman. Not that I would like to see MacAlpine move down on the list because he is one of my biggest music idols, but perhaps swapped with Pinella and Warman should be given a massive bump up on the list as well. Just my opinion.

It's kind of weird to see Warman all the way down at #97 considering that he had the most influence, popularity, and impact in metal since Johansson. Not to mention he is a better soloist than Johansson. I have heard all of Johansson and Warman's solo material, been a fan for years, and I have even met both Johansson and Warman in person. Then again, it's nothing new for Warman to be overlooked and not taken seriously because he is in Children of Bodom. Have you ever heard Beyond Abilities? War of Worlds? Finale? E.W.O. Suite #1? Warcry of Salieri? :facepalm:

IMO, Derek Sherinian is the worst musically out of all these keyboardists. Outside of Planet X his solo material is dreadful. You should have seen the reaction he was getting when he registered on the Allan Holdsworth forum to defend his solo project which featured Holdsworth on a few tracks. Let's just say he didn't receive a warm response. :boohoo:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:13 am 

I've always felt Warman should be way higher, like in the 50's 60's, I have no clue how he's that low, he's quite skilled, and has been very popular recently, and easily one of, if not the biggest keyboardists currently in the metal scene.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:33 am 

Classic Rock Junkie wrote:
I've always felt Warman should be way higher, like in the 50's 60's, I have no clue how he's that low, he's quite skilled, and has been very popular recently, and easily one of, if not the biggest keyboardists currently in the metal scene.

Yes, exactly! It's annoying to see him ranked so low. I can only assume it's because 1) he's not taken seriously because he is in Children of Bodom which are a newer, younger, and "poppier" metal band or 2) he was only judged for his work with Children of Bodom and not Warmen. :facepalm:

I'm not doubting that the list maker is highly knowledgeable of keyboardists, but I wonder if he has ever listened the Warmen albums Unknown Soldier, Beyond Abilities, and Accept the Fact.

Last edited by Kevin II on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:56 am 

:facepalm:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:05 pm 

The Man wrote:
:facepalm:

:facepalm: :facepalm:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:31 am 

Roger Hodgson for pianists list?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:35 pm 

Kevin II wrote:
"poppier" metal band

Children of Bodom? Poppier? They can border on Death Metal for people who don't know what they're talking about

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:35 pm 

I just can't fathom how Stevie Wonder is in the 40s of the keyboardist list when he dominates the likes of the keyboard riffs list, which is a testament to his important amount of work heavily utilizing keyboards throughout the 70s

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:39 pm 

Cripplers Quest wrote:
I just can't fathom how Stevie Wonder is in the 40s of the keyboardist list when he dominates the likes of the keyboard riffs list, which is a testament to his important amount of work heavily utilizing keyboards throughout the 70s

I'd put him around 21 or 22. He definitely isn't better than Rudess, but he blows Dennis DeYoung out of the water.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:50 am 

beaverteeth92 wrote:
Cripplers Quest wrote:

I'd put him around 21 or 22. He definitely isn't better than Rudess, but he blows Dennis DeYoung out of the water.

Skill is only one part of the criteria. Stevie takes everything else as I see it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:20 pm 

.. from earlier this year Jon Lord and Rick Wakeman live ... now if they could only get Keith Emerson to join them on stage ... Take care

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:01 am 

pauldrach wrote:
beaverteeth92 wrote:
Cripplers Quest wrote:

Skill is only one part of the criteria. Stevie takes everything else as I see it.

Skill: Rudess
Creativity: Wonder
Influence: Wonder
Impact: Hard to say, since both had a ton of impact when they first hit the scene
Musical depth and expression: Rudess (Wonder wasn't as expressive as much as he was plain funky)
Lasting Popularity: Wonder

Either way though. he definitely doesn't belong above Eno.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:43 pm 

gminer wrote:
.. from earlier this year Jon Lord and Rick Wakeman live ... now if they could only get Keith Emerson to join them on stage ... Take care

:freak: :freak: :freak:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:47 pm 

Still no Tuomas Holopainen? He's been highly influential in certain metal circles for using keyboards to simulate heavy orchestral work.

And this is unrelated, but can someone please recommend some awesome keyboard performances by Billy Preston and Rod Argent? I don't know where to start with those two.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:42 am 

Edgar Winter seems really low guys, he was a pretty damn good keyboardist as far as I recall, though he may have been a better sax player

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next