DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Greatest Classical Works
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:50 am 

Ah thanks for the reply, I shall definitely work my way through the other lists, as so far I haven't developed a dislike to any classical 'sub-genre'. If I may ask here (or would this be appropriate in another topic?) what other list ideas do you plan on making? I don't know much about what the kinds of music out there there are, and I haven't found other sites with reliable lists like the one here, but would there be like a top ballets list? (and I apologize if there is such a list here).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

You're welcome, Paulie. One list that I've considered making is for the 20 greatest works of each decade of the 20th century. I've done some work on that, but I'm finding that starting with the '50s, each decade it becomes progressively harder for me to determine how the list should look, with the '80s and '90s next to impossible.

We don't have a ballets list, and that might be a possibility, though it would be tough to get the list to be long enough to make it worth it to make a page for it. The top of a greatest ballets list would look something like this (and I may have missed a couple works that should also be this high):

1. Rite of Spring – Igor Stravinsky
2. The Nutcracker – Peter Ilitch Tchaikovsky
3. Petrouchka – Igor Stravinsky
4. The Swan Lake – Peter Ilitch Tchaikovsky
5. Appalachian Spring – Aaron Copland
6. Sleeping Beauty – Peter Ilitch Tchaikovsky
7. Firebird Suite – Igor Stravinsky
8. Daphnis et Chloe – Maurice Ravel
9. Romeo and Juliet – Serge Prokofiev
10. Bolero - Maurice Ravel
11. El Sombrero de Tres Picos – Manuel de Falla
12. Rodeo - Aaron Copland
13. Billy the Kid - Aaron Copland
14. Ma Mere l’Oye - Maurice Ravel
15. Miraculous Mandarin – Béla Bartók
16. L’Histoire du Soldat – Igor Stravinsky

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:31 pm 

The decades list does sound really intriguing, and I'm looking forward to it, hopefully you'll be able to fill out the list for those recent decades. And thanks as well for the short ballet list.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:12 pm 

Brian wrote:
You're welcome, Paulie. One list that I've considered making is for the 20 greatest works of each decade of the 20th century. I've done some work on that, but I'm finding that starting with the '50s, each decade it becomes progressively harder for me to determine how the list should look, with the '80s and '90s next to impossible.

We don't have a ballets list, and that might be a possibility, though it would be tough to get the list to be long enough to make it worth it to make a page for it. The top of a greatest ballets list would look something like this (and I may have missed a couple works that should also be this high):

1. Rite of Spring – Igor Stravinsky
2. The Nutcracker – Peter Ilitch Tchaikovsky
3. Petrouchka – Igor Stravinsky
4. The Swan Lake – Peter Ilitch Tchaikovsky
5. Appalachian Spring – Aaron Copland
6. Sleeping Beauty – Peter Ilitch Tchaikovsky
7. Firebird Suite – Igor Stravinsky
8. Daphnis et Chloe – Maurice Ravel
9. Romeo and Juliet – Serge Prokofiev
10. Bolero - Maurice Ravel
11. El Sombrero de Tres Picos – Manuel de Falla
12. Rodeo - Aaron Copland
13. Billy the Kid - Aaron Copland
14. Ma Mere l’Oye - Maurice Ravel
15. Miraculous Mandarin – Béla Bartók
16. L’Histoire du Soldat – Igor Stravinsky

Really? I think both 1 over 2 (which in the end I agree with) and 3 over 4 (which I don't) are pretty highly controversial placements.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

I think Petrouchka and Swan Lake are close enough that it might not be worng to have them in the opposite order. But Petrouchka is probably Stravinsky's 2nd greatest work while Swan Lake is at best Tchaikovsky's 3rd greatest work, and I'd consider Tchaikovsky only marginally greater than Stravinsky. Petrouchka is a highly acclaimed work, and I think a significant step in Stravinsky's modernist development.