It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Martial Arts.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:23 pm 

Quote:
When Silva fell to the mat, Leben landed five blows before referee Josh Rosenthal rescued him. Silva was so out of it that he tried to pull guard on Rosenthal and put on a triangle choke.
i know it shouldn't be funny but... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:29 am 

fedor's last six opponents:

hong man choi, tim sylvia, brett rogers and antonio silva all fight at way over 265 lbs (350, 300, 270 and 285, respectively)... arlovski and werdum both outweigh fedor by about 20 lbs... hendo will be the lightest opponent he's faced since matt lindland.

not to make excuses for the guy, but in a sport where all weight classes but this are divided into 10, 15, 20 lb increments, to have to fight these giants is insane... it's like if GSP always had to fight light heavyweights, and be expected to win every time!

that said, i'll try my hardest to stay away from the computer on saturday night, otherwise i might end up with a heart attack :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:48 am 

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/07/29/s ... in-results

Fedor weighed in at 223. Its his fault for taking on the giant heavyweights, the dude is really a light heavyweight by nature and even at that weight hes outsized by bonnar, griffin, davis etc. Ive got fedor winning this one by sub or decision, but hendo can catch anyone with that right hand. But size had nothing to do with fedor's last loss, this is why he lost http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMJYVM0D ... ideo_title

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:30 pm 

he lost because he didn't take a seat between rounds???? that sounds ridiculous... for a guy who runs 20 kms every day, i find that hard to believe.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:41 am 

:cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:03 am 

Wow that was weird, definitely a premature stoppage imo. Some people are saying it was an illegal shot to the back of the head as well. Wonder if hes going to retire based on the nature of that loss. Either way i still say hes the goat, dont think this loss really ruins his legacy i think its clear hes past his prime.

btw that video i posted before was a joke haha.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:47 pm 

first loss - i was in total shock
second loss sent me into a depression for about a month
this one i met with a kind of resignation...
i know it's ridiculous to invest so much of yourself into some chubby bald guy you've never met... but, it is what it is... i'll keep supporting him even after a hundred straight losses... i love the guy's personality, and i do agree he's still GOAT.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:42 pm 

fedoras my favorite ever. he needs to retire, if wipes the sweat off his right eye the wrong way he needs stitches. he's not the same fighter, i remember when he was patient and would unleash at the right time, no he rushes in like some jabroni.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:43 pm 

I can't believe Marlon Sandro got knocked out like that...

Silva -vs- Okami 2 is a big, big fight coming up this weekend! Next to St.Pierre -vs- Shields, this has got to be the second most signigicant fight of the year thus far. (Off the top of my head anyways - feel free to correct me!). Huge stakes in this fight. Okami is a pretty "lowkey" kind of guy in that alot of people don't talk about him much or show him a ton of respect, but next to Chael he's the clear #1 contender in my eyes. He has beat Marquardt and Munoz in his last two fights convincingly. (Despite the split verdict, Okami clearly took the first and third rounds in the Munoz fight.) And although that might not seem amazing, it certainly is more than anyone else can show at middleweight right now. With all that said, I still think Anderson wins this fight although I'm not convinced he'll finish it before the final bell..

Rua -vs- Griffin 2 is another nice rematch that could certainly play out differently than the first which ended in a massive upset win for Forrest. I know Rua has been through a pile of knee surgeries and didn't seem too sharp in the Jon Jones fight, but he did just beat Machida convincingly in his previous two fights including a particularly brutal first round stoppage. (I know he lost the first one - but my scorecard was a 49-46 in what should have been a blatant win for Rua.) Griffin is a very big guy who can probably bully Rua around a bit if he choses to - but his last win at this level was over three years ago against Rampage. I remember that fight was a contentious one where alot of people felt Rampage won, but to be fair and honest, I'd have to watch it again to confidently recall how I felt about that one. I think Rua is gonna hurt Forrest in this fight..

It'll be interesting to see how Nogueira returns after such serious surgeries. The kind of injuries and surgeries he's endured as of late are just unreal, and realistically it's hard to imagine someone recovering to anywhere near prime shape ever again after what he's been through. Schaub is a hungry dude who appears to be on the up-and-up and he's got the hands to hurt people in a serious way. Nogueira historically has been durable, but he certainly hasn't appeared to be as durable recently as he has in years' past. I think Schaub really puts it to Nogueira in another sort of passing-of-the-guard fight..

I'd love to hear what you guys think about 134. Despite there only being a few fights I really care to see on this card, the co and main headliner are just really nice fights and have me feeling like this is one of the best cards of the year so far.

Peace fellas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:47 am 

Id say vitor/anderson and jones/shogun were bigger fights than this one, and if we're including upcoming fights diaz/gsp, rampage/jones and cain/jds are going to be huge. That said im really excited for this card.

My picks for 134

Anderson/Okami i got anderson by ko or maybe a a decision. Okami could grind out a decision with his superior takedowns and top game but 5 rounds is a long time to hang with anderson. I see it playing out like the henderson fight possibly.

Shogun/Forrest is hard to pick since shogun is one of the most hot and cold fighters out there. Shogun at his peak would walk through forrest and last time they fought shogun was coming off a bad injury. Im not sure what type of shape shogun is in but ill tentatively pick shogun.

Schaub/Noguiera i have schaub winning by ko or decision. The only advantage nog has is in the jiu jitsu and schaub will most likely avoid the ground game and out strike nog. Nog is coming of an injury and apparently rushed his rehab which is a bad sign, id love to see nogueira win but i dont see it happening.

Barboza/Pearson i dont know much about pearson but ive been a fan of barboza since the njokuani fight so ill pick him.

The undercard

Palhares
Fisher
Thiago
Jabouin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:06 pm 

I'll be pulling for ASilva (Okami is kind of likeable tho), Shogun (hopefully he doesn't come out all flat like he did against Jones) and Minotauro, so basically go Brazil.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:28 pm 

wow....

anderson exists on a different plane from every other fighter, it seems. i think he's up there with fedor as g.o.a.t. (speaking of fedor, i have another theory for his recent slippage, but that's for another time)

glad for shogun and minotauro, too. (and palhares... haha)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:12 am 

Man what a great card. No idea what okami's game plan was for that, he did clip anderson a few times but why the hell did he try and stand with anderson instead take him down? Was so pumped to see nog and shogun win, especially nog it looked bad for him early, schaub seemed a lot quicker but he still pulled it off. 1st round of Palhares/Miller was nuts, palhares must have some issues or something he is more prone to brain explosions than anyone else ive ever seen.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:29 pm 

brock vs reem. it's on. oh, boy...

my thoughts on it are that it's a bad matchup for lesnar (unless he's made amazing progress in the past year, which is doubtful for a guy in his mid 30s). his biggest weakness is his standup, whereas there's no stronger standup fighter in the world than alistair, which he proved by winning the k1 tournament last year. his biggest strength is wrestling, but it's somewhat offset because reem has very solid takedown defense and has a good ground game, and also probably the most dangerous knees in the world (which means if brock catches one on his chin when rushing for a takedown, he's done).

my prediction is overeem beats lesnar, by whatever means. i have absolutely no clue who would win the velasquez vs dos santos fight, because they're both absolutely brilliant. i just hope velasquez returns full strength and that it's a fair matchup (though knowing cain's work ethic, it's not a concern) and may the stronger one win, though to me they're clearly 2 of the best 3 heavyweight mma fighters today. the third one being overeem, who will get the winner and so, more fireworks to ensue.

what a great time to be an mma fan... i'm saying this even despite fedor's fall, though he's also fighting in the fall, i'm really hoping not some can... but still, whoever is his opponent, fedor fighting is always a very special event.

oh, also the strikeforce card this saturday is excellent (despite fedor and 'reem not even making the heavyweight tournament semis). i'm particularly interested in the roger gracie vs mo lawal matchup.

edit:
a few hours after i posted that.... jeff monson.

very good fighter, but past his prime and coming off a loss. ah well... nov 12th is the date.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:38 pm 

For somebody that knows nothing about Fedora, why does everybody like him so much? And what fights would you suggest checking out of his?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29  Next