DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Cartoons (Under Revision)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:24 pm 

Futurama's influence is being underrated. It's probably the first animation show I can think of that attempted to cater to a particular type of nerd subculture. You can see its influence on Robot Chicken, Venture Bros, Metalocalypse and Adventure Time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:26 pm 
Phineas and Ferb is on the Disney channel right now with another episode coming on next. It's actually on Disney XD.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:12 pm 

Sherick wrote:
Futurama has had a significant enough impact on the Internet, certainly becoming a fountain of memes.
I realize that you tied influence, so nevermind that.

That wasn't me, and I always thought influence referred to influence on other series. But yeah, I was genuinely curious as to where its influence shows since it's so unique. And Phineas and Ferb is on regular Disney right now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:33 pm 

Noticed another huge oversight. Why isn't Adventure Time on here? Ditto for Regular Show.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:51 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:36 pm 

Wait, some of you guys are actually trying to argue that Phineas and Ferb has more influence and impact than Futurama? ARE YOU MAD?

Dreww is right, Futurama tapped into that nerd audience before tapping into the nerd audience became a big mass media trend. It's had a very positive influence on animation overall.

Compared to say Family Guy. Which gave us Drawn Together. :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:16 pm 

Ehh fine. But where do you think Phineas and Ferb should be? Along with Adventure Time and Regular Show?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:48 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Why does every popular cartoon from the last five years have to be on here?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:51 pm 

Because those three are acclaimed as hell and appeal to a ton of demographics. Have you seen the fanbases Phineas & Ferb and Adventure Time have? For god's sake, Adventure Time appeals to small children, stoners, guys in their 20s, guys in their 40s, teenage girls, etc. And the show has managed to keep a consistently good quality through it's entire run while appealing to all those demographics. The first season has a 9.2 on Metacritic and a lot of people say it's the worst.

As for Phineas & Ferb, just read the TVTropes page.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... easAndFerb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:29 pm 

Sherick wrote:
Why does every popular cartoon from the last five years have to be on here?

I don't know anything about Adventure Time, but Phineas and Ferb has been highly acclaimed throughout its run, has been extremely popular with a varied demographic, and has been pretty impactful for a show of only three seasons. I'd say it's top 60 or 70.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:58 pm 

beaverteeth92 wrote:
Because those three are acclaimed as hell and appeal to a ton of demographics. Have you seen the fanbases Phineas & Ferb and Adventure Time have? For god's sake, Adventure Time appeals to small children, stoners, guys in their 20s, guys in their 40s, teenage girls, etc.

Do you have proof of this?
beaverteeth92 wrote:
And the show has managed to keep a consistently good quality through it's entire run while appealing to all those demographics.

Subjective.
beaverteeth92 wrote:
The first season has a 9.2 on Metacritic and a lot of people say it's the worst.

Don't know where you got this info but the first season only has an 8.9 user score, and none of the seasons so far have a metascore. Phineas and Ferb did worse, with only a 7.1 user score.
Also, on the IMDB:
-Phineas and Ferb has a score of 8.0/10 from 2,214 ratings
-Adventure Time has a score of 9.1/10 from 1,834 ratings
-Futurama has a score of 9.0/10 from 41,960 ratings
The fact that Futurama gets a 9 from over 40000 ratings shows more acclaim/popularity to me than AT getting a 9.1 from only 2000 ratings
beaverteeth92 wrote:

So what? What is that supposed to tell me?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:12 pm 

boo boo wrote:
Which gave us Drawn Together. :evil:

God, have you seen the reviews for it on imdb? Here's the worst of the lot:
"This show made me laugh so hard that I was very much in danger of accidentally dropping my laptop off of my laps and onto the floor. It expertly parodies not only reality shows, but all the various genres from which the characters are drawn. Toots is not only a parody of Betty Boop, but a parody of stereotypical goth chicks, complete with massive attention-whoring and self-mutilation in search of that attention. Then, we've got the big stupid superhero guy, who is quite possibly a close relative of Captain Zap Brannigan from Futurama. The Disney-style princess is so absolutely spot-on that you'd swear she sprung directly from the House of Mouse, albeit becoming rather twisted in the process. Her relationship with the smack-talking "Hot Chick" (a spin on a Josie and the Pussycats character, for sure) revolves through hostile and EXTREMELY affectionate by turns. Never before was there a Disneyesque musical number done about a lesbian kiss, and one can only hope there will be many more in this show's future. And Ling-Ling... ah, what can be said about Ling-Ling, the Pokemon takeoff? Other than the fact that she may very well be one of the greatest characters ever conceived of in the history of television, that is all."
:ugh: :siren: :banghead: :facepalm: :durr: :evil: :freak: :tongue: :nono:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:27 am 

Machine Head wrote:
beaverteeth92 wrote:

So what? What is that supposed to tell me?

All that says is that Phineas and Ferb has a lot of fanboys on TVTropes.

A list done by TVtropes would probably have My Little Pony in the top ten.

Last edited by Woodgod on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:46 pm 

I think all these shows are too recent to put high up the list.

But I do see something like Adventure Time having a significant influence on animation in the future. Phineas and Ferb and My Little Pony? Well they might too, but I sure as fuck hope not.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:29 pm 

TVTropes pisses me off with it's total lack of consistancy, it's just a platform for different people to express their opinions which would be fine if there was some kind of actual authorship but because of anonymity the site just contradicts itself a whole hell of a lot.

It has some very well written articles that critique everything wrong with the internet, while being plagued by very bad articles that celebrate everything wrong with the internet.

Some of the articles from other sites that get linked by tropers to argue their points are absolutely horrendous. Stuff that makes you want to gouge your eyes out.

That crap like My Little Pony has a more detailed page than many important writers, filmmakers and works is pretty telling.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next