DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Neil Young
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:44 am 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:23 am
Posts: 2709
Location: Portsmouth, Portsea Island, UK
Piper and I are currently discussing the proposition to scrap the tiers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neil Young
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:47 am
Posts: 8540
Location: in a pungent rose petal
i think its actually a good idea .....

on the topic of Neil Young though , recently heard Ragged Glory...what a gem, and i dont care what people's view on his guitar playing is, i love it, its very effective with the music, and i think this album is among the finest examples of it .....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neil Young
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:53 am 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:23 am
Posts: 2709
Location: Portsmouth, Portsea Island, UK
I love Ragged Glory!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neil Young
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:47 am
Posts: 8540
Location: in a pungent rose petal
im slowly making my way through his discog ..... i still havent been able to get my hands on Massey, though i have Weld and Live rust, which should do for live releases....i didnt like Mirror Ball much , had much better expectations from it , and i was very pleasantly surprised with Sleep with angels... i erally liked the dark vibe he had going throughout the album ... and a song like Safeway Cart just sounded so out of place ...... i liked his filmore performance, though it seemed more noodly than effective on certain cases, and i wouldnt spin that album too often , but it was still solid.... overall , its easy to see how this man continues to do so well... he really has a body of work comparable to Dylan even ....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neil Young
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 am 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:23 am
Posts: 2709
Location: Portsmouth, Portsea Island, UK
Yes, I agree, I think his body of work is a good as Dylan's myself.

I think I prefer Live Rust to Massey Hall and Filmore East as his live albums go.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neil Young
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:47 am
Posts: 8540
Location: in a pungent rose petal
well ive only heard Filmore and some parts of Weld .... I'll get to it eventually .... I also have to go through my dylan albums...the only album ive heard in completion now is the 66 royal albert hall from the bootleg series ..... which was pretty amazing .... loved the versions of Tambourine, Ballad of a thin man and Rollin stone there, though as much as people rave about it, i prefer the studio Desolation to the live one ....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neil Young
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:09 am 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:23 am
Posts: 2709
Location: Portsmouth, Portsea Island, UK
The studio version of Desolation Row is definitely better than the Live 66 version. I think that is true with most of the acoustic disc. However, every song off the Live 66 electric disc destroys the studio version imo.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neil Young
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:47 am
Posts: 8540
Location: in a pungent rose petal
destruction is an overstatement, but yeah , you could say something like that


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neil Young
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:06 pm
Posts: 1846
My opinion on tiers is thus:

if they're here, that's ok

if they get scrapped, that's ok

On Neil Young, Rust Never Sleeps is still my favorite. Always gonna be, i feel.

my neil ranking goes like

Rust Never Sleeps
Tonight's the Night
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
After the Goldrush
On the Beach
Time Fades Away

Top 6 because I wanted to include Time Fades Away. Deal with it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neil Young
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:14 pm
Posts: 547
Location: The Hick Province of Canada
clarksided wrote:
My opinion on tiers is thus:

if they're here, that's ok

if they get scrapped, that's ok

On Neil Young, Rust Never Sleeps is still my favorite. Always gonna be, i feel.

my neil ranking goes like

Rust Never Sleeps
Tonight's the Night
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
After the Goldrush
On the Beach
Time Fades Away

Top 6 because I wanted to include Time Fades Away. Deal with it.


Those are my top five Neil albums as well. Although my order is a bit different:
Rust Never Sleeps
After the Gold Rush
On the Beach
Tonight's the Night
Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

And I still need to check out his 90s stuff as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neil Young
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:39 am
Posts: 1924
Location: Miami, FL, USA
Stephen wrote:
clarksided wrote:
My opinion on tiers is thus:

if they're here, that's ok

if they get scrapped, that's ok

On Neil Young, Rust Never Sleeps is still my favorite. Always gonna be, i feel.

my neil ranking goes like

Rust Never Sleeps
Tonight's the Night
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
After the Goldrush
On the Beach
Time Fades Away

Top 6 because I wanted to include Time Fades Away. Deal with it.


Those are my top five Neil albums as well. Although my order is a bit different:
Rust Never Sleeps
After the Gold Rush
On the Beach
Tonight's the Night
Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

And I still need to check out his 90s stuff as well.


Neil guitar fan? Then Eldorado and Ragged Glory
Neil folk-country fan? Then check out Harvest Moon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neil Young
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:14 pm
Posts: 547
Location: The Hick Province of Canada
dmille wrote:
Stephen wrote:
clarksided wrote:
My opinion on tiers is thus:

if they're here, that's ok

if they get scrapped, that's ok

On Neil Young, Rust Never Sleeps is still my favorite. Always gonna be, i feel.

my neil ranking goes like

Rust Never Sleeps
Tonight's the Night
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
After the Goldrush
On the Beach
Time Fades Away

Top 6 because I wanted to include Time Fades Away. Deal with it.


Those are my top five Neil albums as well. Although my order is a bit different:
Rust Never Sleeps
After the Gold Rush
On the Beach
Tonight's the Night
Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

And I still need to check out his 90s stuff as well.


Neil guitar fan? Then Eldorado and Ragged Glory
Neil folk-country fan? Then check out Harvest Moon


Neil guitar fan and Neil folk-country fan. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neil Young
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:47 am
Posts: 8540
Location: in a pungent rose petal
though i havent heard El dorado....but the other 2 picks of dmille are just perfect....

ive listened to most of his late 80s and 90s stuff....think its time i moved to the 70s :razz:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neil Young
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:04 am
Posts: 2311
Location: i'll send you to billy's
you mean you haven't listened to any of Neil's stuff yet?
you have a veritable goldmine ahead of you yousha

anyways, pretty much everything I've heard from neil has been perfection. After the Gold Rush, Harvest and Rust Never Sleeps are all incredible albums, and I still have stuff left to dive into.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neil Young
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:47 am
Posts: 8540
Location: in a pungent rose petal
lets just say i like sampling gold 1st before going to the platinum :wink:

it was an intentional move to listen to his recent work 1st and then move on to the best era... i have heard most of the hits from then, but just not complete albums at a go.... and yeah , i think he may be my fave solo artist from the amount of absolutely brilliant stuff he has.....i prefer him to Dylan till now .... but ive heard more till now, so not deciding till i have a more comprehensive listen of both .....


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:

DigitalDreamDoor.com   

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

DigitalDreamDoor Forum is one part of a music and movie list website whose owner has given its visitors
the privilege to discuss music and movies, and has no control and cannot in any way be held liable over
how, or by whom this board is used. If you read or see anything inappropriate that has been posted,
contact webmaster@digitaldreamdoor.com. Comments in the forum are reviewed before list updates.
Topics include rock music, metal, rap, hip-hop, blues, jazz, songs, albums, guitar, drums, musicians...


DDD Home Page | DDD Music Lists Page | DDD Movie Lists Page