DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ambient discussion
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:47 pm 

Going to check it out, sounds promising.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:44 pm 

Dreww wrote:
George showed me this I think about a year ago and it's still probably the best ambient music I've heard. Inspired by the Tarkovsky film of the same name.

-http://www.mediafire.com/?zi4zyvjekmy

Really dark atmosphere, I dare to say that every fellow ambient-fan would dig this: fantastic music! Thanks for the recommendation, Dreww.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:01 pm 

i don't know if this counts as ambient or electronica or whatever, but this is stuff from a very excellent album, Contact Note, by Jon Hopkins:

title track, set to clips from stalker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0LGbnDb46s

nightjar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWyeAQV1Dcg

black & red
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMQNYd5r3Qw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:39 pm 

Timitzii wrote:
Dreww wrote:
George showed me this I think about a year ago and it's still probably the best ambient music I've heard. Inspired by the Tarkovsky film of the same name.

Really dark atmosphere, I dare to say that every fellow ambient-fan would dig this: fantastic music! Thanks for the recommendation, Dreww.

I actually listened to this years ago before I'd ever seen Stalker, but I never even knew it was inspired by Tarkovsky. Cool shit, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:31 am 

Those sound ambient enough to me, George. The second one's my favorite.

I know there's been a lot of hype, but it just now clicked for me, so here's Grouper's new two part album for anyone who's interested. They work independently but can also be appreciated as part of the same system. Probably my favorite release of the year right now.

Grouper - A I A
Alien Observer: -http://www.mediafire.com/?vr6wu670bfddpi2
Dream Loss: -http://www.mediafire.com/?39df39lr96bfb7f

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:55 am 

Those are two sweet albums. I kinda forgot about them but you've inspired me to give them another spin sometime soon. Good rec, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:14 am 

^ seconded. Grouper is so much better than her peers at the moment, and Dream Loss/Alien Observer is high on my '11 list.

Do we have any Tim Hecker fans here? I've been obsessed with the guy lately, doesn't seem to have ever put out a bad record. I looove the sounds he gets out of the guitar. Harmony in Ultraviolet is his best I think - it's wonderful to be able to sit back and see entire worlds forming in your head listening to that. Radio Amor and Ravedeath aren't too far behind. I really wish he played live or something.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:36 pm 

Ashbery wrote:
Timitzii wrote:
Dreww wrote:

I actually listened to this years ago before I'd ever seen Stalker, but I never even knew it was inspired by Tarkovsky. Cool shit, thanks.

Been giving this couple of spins and I definitely agree that this is one REALLY fine piece of work. Extremely creepy to listen to while alone in the darkness but so fantastic too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:41 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJCg8rJy ... re=related

in love with this track
not letting me embed it , but its a track by Bohren & der Club of Gore ..... Im quite sure Lacuna's heard of them , probably other too , brilliant stuff ....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:22 pm 

To respond to the previous posts briefly: Stalker rules. I still need to check out Lustmord's albums, too. I love Tim Hecker, but I've only heard Harmony in Ultraviolet. Gotta get onto his most recent album. I was listening to Bohren & Der Club of Gore's Black Earth last night while I was trying to sleep which was a pretty good experience. I need to listen to it properly sometime, though. Wasn't a big fan of A I A, either. It was pleasent, but I felt that it could've probably been squeezed onto the one disc.

Anyone else a fan of Ritual Ambient? It's interesting stuff. Check out SPK (Zamia Lehmanni), Zoät·Aon (The Triplex Bestial), Aeoga (COAV, Zenith Beyond the Helix-Locus) and Halo Monash (Par-Antra: VIR, SYoMa) if you're ever intrigued.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:14 am 

Stalker is fantastic, what an experience to listen to it during the night.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:22 am 

Quinnsy Lohan wrote:
To respond to the previous posts briefly: Stalker rules. I still need to check out Lustmord's albums, too. I love Tim Hecker, but I've only heard Harmony in Ultraviolet. Gotta get onto his most recent album. I was listening to Bohren & Der Club of Gore's Black Earth last night while I was trying to sleep which was a pretty good experience. I need to listen to it properly sometime, though. Wasn't a big fan of A I A, either. It was pleasent, but I felt that it could've probably been squeezed onto the one disc.

Anyone else a fan of Ritual Ambient? It's interesting stuff. Check out SPK (Zamia Lehmanni), Zoät·Aon (The Triplex Bestial), Aeoga (COAV, Zenith Beyond the Helix-Locus) and Halo Monash (Par-Antra: VIR, SYoMa) if you're ever intrigued.

i just finished with a couple of listens of Sunset mission frm Bohren and now moving to Black Earth ... its absolutely captivating stuff, especially getting the rainymood on in the background....those slow jazzy saxophone parts go absolutely perfectly .....

i must download the album Dreww upd, simply cause he did it, everyone's raving about it and george recd it...cant go wrong with that

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:57 am 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:44 pm 

Liz Harris (Grouper) wrote:
Who intends to be the person they are or think the thoughts they think, and what’s behind those intentions? I don’t know myself that well, not sure anyone really does. My nephews told me my music makes them sleepy, also that it wasn’t loud enough. I would prefer to go to a different world and the closest we have to that besides space travel is an inner world. Its not so much that I really love the act of sleep, but that I love that escape from reality, the potential for the impossible, removing myself from the stress of today’s culture world, from people talking all the time, etc. I like being somewhere alone that is very quiet. Sleep is one of those places. The intent of the album is a fishing net cast out and reeled in. It is an expression of a certain person in a certain language at a certain time about some piece of their world. The world being pieced, though, is not my own and not certain. Its a simultaneously internal and external one that we all are connected by.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:45 am 

liz harris is her own genre at this point. ddd needs more grouper, no doubt.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next