DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Most Skilled Metal Guitarists
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:25 am 

I wouldn't call Morse metal.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:51 pm 

Updated the list. Added Yngwie to the top 10, right between Vinnie Moore and Buckethead. He looks much better there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:46 pm 

Last edited by gminer on Sat May 04, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:51 pm 

Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
ariel wrote:

He's most well known for the Megadeth stuff...I think he's eligible...he played thrash for several years, straight thrash...he isn't enough of a 'metal guitarist'?

He qualifies as a metal guitarist, but when his most interesting playing is outside the metal field, after he left Megadeth, it's a bit strange to rate him as one of the most technically skilled metal guitarists.

ariel wrote:
Yeah Rolling Stone were full of shit. But that only backs what I was saying I think, that Kirk is so insanely overrated by noobs that he's, as a result, become super underrated by serious guitarists, at least in the online musician community.

By some, sure, but all in all, Hammett simply doesn't cut it compared to so many other greats who don't get nearly as much exposure. The problem isn't that his playing is simple, which some critics seem to think is the case, but rather that it's just not all that interesting.

I see what you're saying reg. Kirk, but how is 'interesting' playing exactly related to this list? Honest question.

Would Poland on chops make this list if it weren't genre-restrictive? Just curious.

Also, any chance Jeff Young makes the list? (Not sure he's 'metal' enough either either way...)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:59 pm 

No, because he has only appeared on one metal album as far as I know. If this list wasn't genre respective Poland wouldn't even be in the top 100.

You know guitar players exist outside of Megadeth and Metallica, right?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:37 pm 

Yes...quit the attitude

I don't see Poland on the list right now...

YB does Poland count as metal enough for this list or does he not? I couldn't quite figure out your thoughts on this from your last post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:41 pm 

Don't tell me to quit the attitude. If you don't like it, fuck off. kthxbai.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:52 pm 

vai should be over buckethead also

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:52 pm 

Really?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:28 pm 

Hm, this is tough. The thing Vai-Buckethead is a concept duel. The 'winner' really depends in the way you see the match. Vai could be most skilled in a general way, or I think so. So if you see the match as a skill one, Vai should be over Buckethead. But Buckethead is more a metal guy. I mean, take a metal head, and put him a Vai record, he could say 'hey, this guy can really play'. And he can, Vai could play anything he want and he would do it perfect. But I bet the metal head would prefer a Buckethead song, cuz he has more 'metal' skills, and this metal skills doesn't come just for the speed, it's a different type of skill, that also makes a 'skilled metal guitarist'. With that concept, Buckethead is better. So in general, I see Vai as a more skilled guitarist and Buckethead as better metal guitarist. This list is about 'skilled metal guitarrist', so it's really hard. I prefer Buckethead, but I could accept that Vai is better. Sodacake couldn't tough.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:25 am 

I dont really see Vai as a metal player he only has a handful of metal songs but if you want him on here he should be ahead of buckethead. Vai is a far more rounded player. He has way more variety in his playing, greater understanding of chords, even in terms of picking technique id pick Vai. Speed wise they are about the same but vai is usually playing more complex stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:55 am 

ariel wrote:
I see what you're saying reg. Kirk, but how is 'interesting' playing exactly related to this list? Honest question.

In relation to this list, it's not important. The reason Kirk won't find a place here is because he doesn't possess the necessary technical abilities.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:37 am 

Sid_Vicious_24 wrote:
Hm, this is tough. The thing Vai-Buckethead is a concept duel. The 'winner' really depends in the way you see the match. Vai could be most skilled in a general way, or I think so. So if you see the match as a skill one, Vai should be over Buckethead. But Buckethead is more a metal guy. I mean, take a metal head, and put him a Vai record, he could say 'hey, this guy can really play'. And he can, Vai could play anything he want and he would do it perfect. But I bet the metal head would prefer a Buckethead song, cuz he has more 'metal' skills, and this metal skills doesn't come just for the speed, it's a different type of skill, that also makes a 'skilled metal guitarist'. With that concept, Buckethead is better. So in general, I see Vai as a more skilled guitarist and Buckethead as better metal guitarist. This list is about 'skilled metal guitarrist', so it's really hard. I prefer Buckethead, but I could accept that Vai is better. Sodacake couldn't tough.
It's not that I couldn't accept Vai is the better player, if that is what you're trying to say. It's that what I've heard from Buckethead, to my ears, is more complex and you're not going to find someone who's more familiar with Buckethead's playing around here than I. If you guys think Vai is more skilled than I'll move him up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:29 pm 

Sodacake wrote:
Don't tell me to quit the attitude. If you don't like it, fuck off. kthxbai.

Seriously, WTF is your problem?

http://flamewarriors.com/warriorshtm/jerk.htm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:30 pm 

Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
ariel wrote:

In relation to this list, it's not important. The reason Kirk won't find a place here is because he doesn't possess the necessary technical abilities.

Fair enough. Are you familiar with his AJFA solos?

And what's the ultimate goal, to expand this list to 100? My curiosity regarding Kirk (and Poland) was more whether he'd make the list if it were expanded to 100, as I assume is the listmakers' intention. I know Kirk wouldn't make the list as it currently stands, duh.

To quote myself...

YB does Poland count as metal enough for this list or does he not? I couldn't quite figure out your thoughts on this from your last post

Incidentally, as I've said before, I'm not a guitarist, just a guy who enjoys learning about guitar. So thanks for indulging me, folks

Last edited by Ariel on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next