DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Keyboard/Piano Performances - New List
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:18 am 

The Man wrote:
That's fantastic. Ironically enough, I'm currently working on a Chopin and a Bach piece right now. Chopin is the man. I feel like playing the classical has really improved my jazz playing, as well.

It should, though Jazz piano is it's own beast to tangle with. However, Etude means study for a reason. It's pretty much practice pieces for techniques designed to make a virtuoso. Classical piano has all the technique and polishing required to be good at well, anything skill wise in piano. The difficulty in jazz is clearly the freedom. You never do pure improvision in classical music, you almost always go by some sheet music or learn from it. Concert pianists don't improv in the same way jazz ones do (I mean, classical pianists do improve sometimes a few notes or even measures to add a spin to the song, but they don't go up there and start playing their heart out with whatever they feel). The hardest thing for me when learning jazz was not the technique, but what do I do next and how do I do it? That's where a shit ton of music theory comes in, knowing what chords compliment eachother, which ones resolve, inverted chords, and things like the circle of 5ths to know what key you're staying in. But yeah, Classical piano will make you better at any other form.

And for purely piano, Chopin is my favorite composer by far. For all classical instruments and orchestra's, it would probably be Beethoven, Back, then Rachmaninoff. People think the B's are easy, when the truth is far from it. Bach writes some killer piano pieces and Beethoven has some nasty ones too, Sonata Quasi Una Fantasia Mov. 3 is quite challenging. For Rachmaninoff, the breadth of his work speaks for itself. It has the complexity and polishing of Chopin, the technical absurdity of Liszt, and the emotional potency and beauty of resolution found in many Bach pieces.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:38 am 

Bach is remarkably intricate with both hands, and i think that's what makes his music so difficult for me. Fun to play, though, and it certainly improves your chops. And I agree, the third movement of the Moonlight Sonata is remarkably difficult. And what you said about jazz is exactly right; it's been a real treat for me to slowly tackle, though.

We should probably return to the task at hand, but feel free to PM me to continue this excellent discussion. What are your suggestions for the solos? Then we can return to coming up with a solid Top 20 for the greatest performances.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:45 am 

Solo's are hard, but thinking it over, it depends if we're going by Influence and popularity as well as composition, or just pure composition and technicality. If it's the first 3, than CttE replaces Khatru and knocks it under Roundabout (since Roundabout's solo is more popular, influential, and I'd say equally well composed). The rest of the list is fine. So I'd go with:

1. Highway Star
2. Light My Fire
3. Close to the Edge
4. Roundabout or Khatru
5. Tarkus
6. Roundabout or Khatru
7. Firth of Fifth or Supper's Ready? Both have some great solos.
8. Karnevil 9 (I'd say it takes lazy)
9. Lazy
10. Shine on you Crazy Daimond? Idk.

And btw, comments about making things 'rounded', like don't have all the top 10 be 2 guys. Well, this is supposed to be an accurate top 10 list, and if all the best keyboard solos out there were all undoubtably by one guy, that would comprise the list. I think Wakeman, especially in comparison to Emerson (though Emerson was a better keyboardist) was the king of keyboard solo's, which were the wow factor in many of his pieces on top of his already great backing keys. I think his 3 performances are def. top 10 stuff. 8-10 could be anything, I just put good solos that came to mind, though I can see Lazy as guaranteed top 10, though where I cannot say.

Last edited by Classic Rock Junkie on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:26 am 

At a first glance, that looks pretty solid to me. I'd suggest having Shine on You Crazy Diamond in the number ten spot instead of Gates of Delirium, though

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:34 am 

The Man wrote:
At a first glance, that looks pretty solid to me. I'd suggest having Shine on You Crazy Diamond in the number ten spot instead of Gates of Delirium, though

Sure. I'm a huge Floyd fan, and the travesty of the matter is it's their only song I haven't sat down and listened all the way through :(.

The top 5 are really all I'm sure is correct, everything else is up for it, just some songs I know to have solid or interesting solos, but not near the top 5.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:31 pm 

Let's return to the greatest performances list. What are your thoughts on the top ten?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:26 am 

it's fine for now I guess, idk, more input? I'm fine with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:18 pm 

Certainly not for the top ten, but i didnt see chest fever or positively fourth street on this list.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:41 pm 

beaverteeth92 wrote:
125) Market Square Heroes – Mark Kelly (Marillion)

Um, which version? 1982 Original or 1984 re-recorded?
Original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMs6F371 ... re=related
Re-recorded:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJmMZWpmIAs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:29 pm 

Sorry for my lack of presence on the boards; I've been in Europe for the past 16 days.

I don't know. I didn't make the original list.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:43 pm 

Well, in your opinion, which version is better??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:06 am 

I don't know. I don't listen to much Marillion.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:06 pm 

beaverteeth92 wrote:
I don't know. I don't listen to much Marillion.

:cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:58 pm 

Glad to have you back, beaver. How was your trip to Europe?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:38 pm 

Awesome. I went to France, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Italy, and Switzerland to play concert band music.

But anyway Moon, all I've really listened to is Script for a Jester's Tear, but I haven't really listened to anything with Steve Hogarth.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next