It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stupid film criticism
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:30 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
No, that's stupid. Seven Samurai is my favorite Kuro, and I believe his best, but there's plenty to be said about several other films being considered for that accolade. Anyone who uses pretentious that freely without appearing to understand what it means doesn't deserve to be listened to seriously.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:36 pm 

It should be required by law that anyone who engages in criticism of any art in any medium must first read the definition of pretentious from every single major English dictionary, then pass a test assessing their ability to not use it stupidly.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:40 pm 

Sherick wrote:
No, that's stupid. Seven Samurai is my favorite Kuro, and I believe his best, but there's plenty to be said about several other films being considered for that accolade. Anyone who uses pretentious that freely without appearing to understand what it means doesn't deserve to be listened to seriously.

Well, then again, one of those guys did say that The Lion King is communist propaganda.

And yes Pnoom, that should be enforced a lot more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:55 pm 

pnoom wrote:
It should be required by law that anyone who engages in criticism of any art in any medium must first read the definition of pretentious from every single major English dictionary, then pass a test assessing their ability to not use it stupidly.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:06 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:28 am 

Which reminds me, I showed one of my friends Sanjy's Tree of Life write-up to help him better "understand" the film (he hated it), and he ended up calling Sanjy pretentious. I defended him, but my friend wasn't having it. I don't think he understands the meaning of the word either.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:16 am 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Especially since Sanj is one of the least pretentious online critics (or online figure in general) I know.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:42 am 

I just all round hate the word pretentious. The majority of the time it's a cop out word used when someone has no real rebuttal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:49 am 

awesome wrote:
Which reminds me, I showed one of my friends Sanjy's Tree of Life write-up to help him better "understand" the film (he hated it), and he ended up calling Sanjy pretentious. I defended him, but my friend wasn't having it. I don't think he understands the meaning of the word either.

Ask him to define pretentious for you the next time he uses it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:53 am 

Well, this was all done over e-mail, so I can quite easily provide some context...

my friend wrote:
The movie didn't speak to me, and frankly, for the author of the essay to imply that if it does not illicit an intense emotional response that you're devoid of feeling or connection to humanity, is pretentious. It places them on an authoritative pedestal arguing for objectivity in a realm it does not belong. That rubbed me the wrong way. I can appreciate a respected piece of art but not want to hang it on my wall, which is how I felt with this movie. It seemed too abstract for me to connect and the delivery didn't inspire enthusiasm, I wasn't engaged or involved enough. I can respect that there may be disagreement, and I think that is healthy.

me wrote:
If you're referring to this sentence where you think the author is being pretentious, I'd have to disagree: "And this is a literal reaction to those who found no joy in the move; if the imagery didn't elicit some kind of response, well godspeed." I don't think he is – in fact, I'm sure he's not – saying whoever doesn't deeply connect with this film is shallow or vapid. He's only saying that there are many beautiful and sublime moments within the film, and that someone who didn't see any of that may be a little too hardened, to put it euphemistically. This is most definitely not an indictment of your personal feelings, as you have repeatedly stated you did find such moments of beauty, and I don't think it's even that controversial an argument.

my friend wrote:
To begin with, I disagree with your assessment of his comment, but maybe it's a matter of personal opinion. I wouldn't say I found joy in the movie, although I also wouldn't say that I found no joy in the movie. I suppose it seems abrasive and touched a chord with me. None-the-less, it's relatively unimportant.

Take it how you will, then

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:35 pm 

awesome wrote:

Ho Ho Ho.

You need to show him something from George, Leone, Dreww or Pnoom. His water will break.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:56 am 

I read a RYM review that called Alejandro González Iñárritu a Tarantino ripoff.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:24 pm 

You know what the biggest problem with TSPDT is?

Geoff Andrew. Everytime I'm directed to one of his quotes I want to stab him in the fucking eyeballs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:31 pm 

Geoff Andrew is a total disaster who doesn't know the first thing about anything he says. Definitely my least favorite critic that some people actually take seriously.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:36 pm 

Yeah his blurbs are always terrible, but always staring you right in the face because they're fucking everywhere and impossible to avoid for anyone visiting the site. He's the Ken Hanke of TSPDT basically.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 29  Next