DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Drummers' Den
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:41 pm 

Jestercide wrote:
i think all of Truth drums, OC Drum Company and DW would do you right.

I second the DW suggestion, never played the other two before.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:03 pm 

damn, dw be mad expensive... lol. i'll check out those others a bit further though, thanks dudes

edit: yeaaa my price range is like $900-$1200, soo those aren't gon work

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:39 pm 

Aunt Jemima wrote:
damn, dw be mad expensive... lol. i'll check out those others a bit further though, thanks dudes

Are there any Pearl or Tama kits in your price range? The more expensive Pearl sets are normally pretty nice, they can be hit or miss though. I've never played Tama before but I've heard from a friend that their pretty good. Also try PDP, I know a few guys who like those.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:39 pm 

thejew wrote:
Aunt Jemima wrote:

Are there any Pearl or Tama kits in your price range? The more expensive Pearl sets are normally pretty nice, they can be hit or miss though. I've never played Tama before but I've heard from a friend that their pretty good. Also try PDP, I know a few guys who like those.

well the thing is that i'm looking for a simple, 4-piece jazz kit, but all of them seem to be more expensive than bigger models! prob has something to do with the finish of the kit, but it's damn annoying nonetheless

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:37 pm 

The only drum sets I ever see in that price range are Pearl exports and Tamas. However it isn't too hard to find a rockstar/starclassic or pearl kit for well under 900$.

They aren't great for jazz, but the only sets I'd be able to recommend that actually work well that i've played for jazz are generally quite expensive... well over the 1200 range, even used. And if you do find a DW kit for 1200, it'll most likely be a heavily used shell pack.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:39 pm 

thoughts on gretsch? this set looks pretty awesome to me right now on paper

http://www.justplaymusic.com/gretsch-cc ... clcos.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:12 pm 

Well, it looks nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8QldrDKErg Sounds decent. Seems like a bargain to me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:23 pm 

awesome! thanks for the link, didn't think of looking up the set on youtube. three more paychecks and that set is mine! :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:04 pm 
Master of the Universe 2008

You should be able to buy a standard 4 or 5 Tama piece set for that price range easily, Aj.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:08 am 

Is it embarrassing that the hi-hats in Sweet Thing by Van Morrison are one of the most influential drum performances I've ever heard? The playing around with rhythms in 3/4 (or 6/8, whatever) time signature in that way is a big part of so many of my rhythms now, even in 4/4 I'll be quoting them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:58 am 

Mitch NZ wrote:
Is it embarrassing that the hi-hats in Sweet Thing by Van Morrison are one of the most influential drum performances I've ever heard? The playing around with rhythms in 3/4 (or 6/8, whatever) time signature in that way is a big part of so many of my rhythms now, even in 4/4 I'll be quoting them.

why would it be embarassing? i agree with you considering how well it fits in the song, even despite being surrounded by morrison's selection of grandiose instruments that he featured on this track and others on astral weeks. those subtle splashy accents on the hi-hat really do their job effectively. love the part in the middle when the drummer switches to a full-blown jazz beat but ends abruptly after like one bar... I can picture Van jumping up and down, waving his hands in the air for him to stop and go back to the hi-hat rhythm :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:05 pm 

I got myself a nice 7-set of Zildjian symbols for my birthday. Best things ever. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:18 pm 

I have a terrible problem of tapping on every inanimate object there is. ever since I started playing the drums 6-7 years back, I just can't.. stop.. tapping.. :ugh:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:28 pm 

5-Hydroxytryptamine wrote:
I got myself a nice 7-set of Zildjian symbols for my birthday. Best things ever. :wink:

:nono:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:58 pm 

I got me a whole Sound Percussion set with two cymbals for $270 and my Dad let's me use his ride symbol which I'm told is worth more than the rest of the drums put together. Anyone have any tips? I'm really good for someone who's only played for less than a month. My jamming buddies I've collected say I've got great rhythm, but I seem to be playing the same thing every time and my bass sucks (can't distinguish between my arm and my leg).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next