It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drummers' Den
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:00 pm 

Post subject: Re: Drummers' Den
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:51 am 

:lol: I like the picture Yngtchie

I really need to get a new double bass pedal. I'm currently using an old DW 4000 pedal (outdated as hell, I know). It's really limiting my heel-toe technique, and if I'm playing metal, I can't double-bass pedal near as fast as I can on the 7000 or 9000. Perhaps a Christmas gift, since I'm currently broke and can't afford one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:17 pm 

I will never buy a double bass pedal as long as I live! :x

However I am in the market for a new bass pedal, mine is heavy and clunky, I need something light and fast to do those flashy syncopated bass drum patterns without screwing up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:34 pm 

Mitch NZ wrote:
I will never buy a double bass pedal as long as I live! :x

However I am in the market for a new bass pedal, mine is heavy and clunky, I need something light and fast to do those flashy syncopated bass drum patterns without screwing up.

Why don't you want a double? They're useful for playing any genre, not just for metalheads. Even jazz uses double-bass occasionally. I usually just use one foot, but having the double allows for so much more.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:46 pm 

Yeah I know a double is useful, but I'm skilled enough at double hits that there's almost no pattern I can't do with 1 outside of blast beats. My theory is that if John Bonham and Nicko McBrain could go their whole careers without one, I can too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:02 pm 

Mitch NZ wrote:
Yeah I know a double is useful, but I'm skilled enough at double hits that there's almost no pattern I can't do with 1 outside of blast beats. My theory is that if John Bonham and Nicko McBrain could go their whole careers without one, I can too.

If you master heel-toe and/or get the double-hit and triple-hit single pedaling down then it shouldn't be a problem. I enjoy flying on the double pedals on occasion though, but not usually. Double pedal heel-toe is the shit though, I can't imagine not being able to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:04 pm 

I am currently learning the song "Dance of Eternity." Really fun :metal:

Also, I think that every person that has a drum set should try to get a double-bass pedal. It's really a neat thing to have.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:21 am 

Teaching a kid how to play Tom Sawyer by Rush. Starting tomorrow. Should be fun.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:50 am 

Just got back into drumming after 5 years off. Been jamming with a couple people lately. I feel like I could have been a lot better but i'm too damn lazy to practice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:46 am 

Mitch NZ wrote:

i would kind of like to hear bonham with a double pedal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:58 am 

Apparently he did use one for a while but decided he preferred the single speed king. It would be kind of like giving a ninja two swords. Awesome but pointless.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:07 am 

nathan wrote:
Just got back into drumming after 5 years off. Been jamming with a couple people lately. I feel like I could have been a lot better but i'm too damn lazy to practice.

same here but it's only been a few years for me. Have you noticed that the fresh start kind of helps a little? Like, i used to be so proficient at some little frills and patterns and get them so ingrained in my head that they would crop up everywhere in my playing, but now i'm noticing a lot more variety as i invent more along the way.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:51 am 
If I were going to have a double (and I kinda do) when I get around to getting my drum kit, I would like so that the other drum was different enough in the material or size or whatever so that it was a different sounding one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:41 am 

so i wanna save up and buy a small, punchy jazz kit because i've finally decided that my cb kit obviously ain't gonna cut it. i was looking at some 4 pc ludwig jazz kits but theyre all so damn expensive, prob because it seems like they've discontinued selling the 14"x18" bass drum shell kits i'm looking for. thus, i am here. anybody have some recommendations of a company that sells punchy and clean-sounding but durable 14"x18" bass shells?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:21 pm 

i think all of Truth drums, OC Drum Company and DW would do you right.