DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: American Dad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:02 pm 

Discuss.
Roger is the funniest, hands down.

Post subject: Re: American Dad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:01 am 
I can't argue with that but I think Stan is just about as funny. Those 2 are clearly the stars of the show. It's my 2nd favorite show behind South Park. I have seen most of their episodes so far and haven't seen one that I didn't like.

I made this video tonight and put it on youtube. It's only available in Canada and the United States. I think it's pretty funny.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oGHrqTd ... ideo_title

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:36 am 

What the hell? This show is awful.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:16 am 

What would you expect from these two plugs San?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:39 pm 
Two Headed Boy wrote:
What would you expect from these two plugs San?

Two plugs???????? :eh:

Are you calling me and Negative Creep plugs? What the hell does that even mean?

This show is fuckin' funny and more consistantly funny than Family Guy.

Oh and by the way....what the fuck did I ever do to you? I think I smell a troll.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:53 pm 

Location: the south is a shithole from which no human decency can escape
Being consistantly funnier than Family Guy isn't that hard though.

Family Guy and American Dad have their funny moments, sometimes they're even pretty clever. But they have had way too many jokes totally backfire to be consistantly good shows. American Dad fares better nowadays though because of the lack of cutaway gags and much of the humor is actually related to the story, making it more consistant.

Family Guy's writing reminds me of a Wikipedia article, it seems to be composed by god knows how many people who aren't even working together. It's like all the staff members are asked to write all the jokes they came up with that day on a torn piece of paper and somebody just puts it all into a hat without looking at it and calls it a script.

Compare that to The Simpsons, South Park and Futurama where the story comes first and the gags come later. Thus a good episode stays consistantly good because there's actually a structure to it. Not that a show can't just be total randomness. But Family Guy is no Monty Python.

I think Seth is becoming too powerful. His writers barely have enough good material for one show at this point let alone 3 of them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:51 pm 
American Dad is almost always clever and hardly ever has cutaway gags. I've seen every episode except for maybe 4 or 5. I have seen VERY few cutaways like the ones you see on Family Guy. American Dad has clever moments in basically every episode. I've seen a lot of moments where they lead to you think something is happening or going to happen then they reveal it to be something else.

In the most recent episode I watched, Steve's fat girlfriend tells Stan that she used to shoot out squirrel's eyes. Stan says, "DEAR GOD!! You think he's shocked and disgusted but then his facial expression changes and he says, "That's a tough shot!!" I see moments like that all the time so in my opinion American Dad is consistantly funny and easily beats Family Guy on the funny meter.

I just really like how American Dad doesn't need to do cutaways and it's still funnier than Family Guy.

I think I agree with Negative Creep, Roger is the funniest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUqSBtp5 ... re=related

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:25 pm 

How old are you, Destroyer? That's not a negative question, by the way. I'm genuinely interested. And for the record, from the little I've watched of American Dad, it definitely has its moments and is certainly better than FG.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:31 pm 

boo boo wrote:
Family Guy's writing reminds me of a Wikipedia article, it seems to be composed by god knows how many people who aren't even working together. It's like all the staff members are asked to write all the jokes they came up with that day on a torn piece of paper and somebody just puts it all into a hat without looking at it and calls it a script.

Compare that to The Simpsons, South Park and Futurama where the story comes first and the gags come later. Thus a good episode stays consistantly good because there's actually a structure to it. Not that a show can't just be total randomness. But Family Guy is no Monty Python.

On the early episodes of Family Guy, while there were cut-away gags, most of the jokes fit within the context of the plot. It was a lot closer to classic Simpsons in terms of it's use of flashbacks and cutaways. But those were so popular that they became abused and Family Guy lost its way.

As for American Dad, the early episodes were genuinely terrible. It's improved a lot since then, but most of the characters annoy me. Rodger is the best, but he doesn't save the show, in my opinion. However, American Dad has improved enough that it's justifiable to like it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:39 pm 
Hang wrote:
How old are you, Destroyer? That's not a negative question, by the way. I'm genuinely interested. And for the record, from the little I've watched of American Dad, it definitely has its moments and is certainly better than FG.

I will be 26 on September 10th.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:43 pm 
pgm wrote:
boo boo wrote:

On the early episodes of Family Guy, while there were cut-away gags, most of the jokes fit within the context of the plot. It was a lot closer to classic Simpsons in terms of it's use of flashbacks and cutaways. But those were so popular that they became abused and Family Guy lost its way.

As for American Dad, the early episodes were genuinely terrible. It's improved a lot since then, but most of the characters annoy me. Rodger is the best, but he doesn't save the show, in my opinion. However, American Dad has improved enough that it's justifiable to like it.

Everyone has their shows they like or dont like and whatever else.

Stan and Roger easily carry the show on their own most of the time and Francine can be funny too and even Steve at times. The talking fish doesn't get much TV time but he can also be funny along with some side characters. To be honest, I didn't start watching this show until last year. I never gave it a chance, I just thought it was some crappy spinoff from Family Guy but one day I decided to give it a chance and now it's my 2nd favorite animated show behind South Park.

It's more clever than Family Guy and other shows. Every show out there has it's fans and it's haters anyway. I never like it when someone makes fun of someone else for liking a show unless if it's REALLY BAD. Like those movies, Meet the Spartans, Epic Movie, Disaster Movie....people who love those movies should be put in prison. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:10 am 

Location: the south is a shithole from which no human decency can escape
Roger has been guilty of some of the worst gags on the show. I actually like Stan the most.

I definitely think American Dad has gotten better. And I agree that Family Guy was best in the early seasons. The less derivative of The Simpsons it became the worse it got. Interesting how that works.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:46 pm 

SanTropez wrote:
What the hell? This show is awful.

American Dad > The Grateful Dead.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:47 pm 

Still dont get the hate for Family Guy, but whatever. These are CARTOONS people, they were made to make people laugh, nothing else. Stop being so analytical about everything, it's annoying.

*Waits for long rant from somebody about how wrong I am*

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:47 pm 
Negative Creep wrote:
Still dont get the hate for Family Guy, but whatever. These are CARTOONS people, they were made to make people laugh, nothing else. Stop being so analytical about everything, it's annoying.

*Waits for long rant from somebody about how wrong I am*

I won't say you're wrong. When it comes to comedy movies or shows I try to not get too critical because it's just entertainment, to make you laugh and relax for a while. I've just been disapointed with this newest season of Family Guy and part of the last season. The show isn't as wacky as it used to be and that's what I liked about Family Guy. I like the stupid, silly, retarded and unrealistic things that would happen. I still like the show, just not quite as much as before.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next