DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Metal Songs
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:45 am 

That closing track is so cool. There is obviously a lot of Sabbath influence in Candlemass. I don't see how you could deny that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:19 am 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Ah they did Sabbath covers? Shit I didn't know that! That changes everything.

Of course they're Sabbath-influenced, they are doom metal after all. But the idea that they are a throwback of some kind, music firmly and totally rooted in pre-Priest metal is equally silly.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:21 am 

MJ7 wrote:
One more thing:
bloodredchaos wrote:
I think Bruce-era Iron Maiden and post-RTL Metallica are two of the most overrated things in metal

Did heavy metal after NOTB, Powerslave, RtL and MoP sounded like Paranoid album or rather like Maiden+Metallica combined?
bloodredchaos wrote:
its influence is rarely as obvious as Priest's, Exodus's, Sabbath's or Slayer's

Most of the bands after 80's played more similar to IM than to bands you mentioned. Pokolgép, Turbo, Grim Reaper, Sortilege, even today's Slough Feg sound like Maiden. Maybe should I mention their influence to power metal? Or prog metal? And by the way, half, if not more, bands influenced by Exodus are influenced by the same amount by Metallica.

I was talking about MOP's influence only, which is why I mentioned the Heathen and Overkill albums and why I used "its" instead of "their" (I forgot to mention Testament earlier). Maiden's influence is obvious. I meant overrated in terms of quality and being considered masterpieces, when the albums are inconsistent at best. That doesn't have anything to do with the list, but I just wanted to explain why I don't really contribute here much. Also, bands like Slough Feg sound more like DiAnno-era Maiden.

Last edited by Woodgod on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:30 am 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Not any more inconsistent than the albums preceding them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:32 am 

But people don't generally consider them masterpieces.

Edit:

MJ7 wrote:
There is an important difference between those situations. That 'kids' about whom I was talking about are making metal music. 'Your' kids don't make films.

How do you figure? Sure music is much easier to produce, but as an example of what I meant, look that the sort of comedies that have been coming out since the Seth Rogen and Hangover stuff. And consider American Pie before that.

And like I mentioned before most "kids" probably start with the Black Album i.e. Enter Sandman or something. Should that make the top 10? Or something by Slipknot and Korn, maybe?. I'm not a fan of the "getting kids into metal" argument. The music should be all that counts.

MJ7 wrote:
One more thing:
bloodredchaos wrote:
I think Bruce-era Iron Maiden and post-RTL Metallica are two of the most overrated things in metal

Did heavy metal after NOTB, Powerslave, RtL and MoP sounded like Paranoid album or rather like Maiden+Metallica combined?

A lot of the metal bands I listen to, at least, sound very little like Master of Puppets and Bruce-era Maiden. For every In Flames, Rhapsody and Testament, you have an Eyehategod, Autopsy and Saint Vitus.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:35 am 

bloodredchaos wrote:
MJ7 wrote:
There is an important difference between those situations. That 'kids' about whom I was talking about are making metal music. 'Your' kids don't make films.

How do you figure?

I will quote Rebecca Black here: 'I see my frieeeeends'. Anyway most of the bands I know personally are influenced by Metallica. And that's right, music is much easier to produce. That's my main argument.
bloodredchaos wrote:
And like I mentioned before most "kids" probably start with the Black Album i.e. Enter Sandman or something.

MoP got much better/more influential (the most influential?) guitar work than stuff from s/t. And as dmille pointed out, Metallica didn't have such an impact on metal after AJFA.
bloodredchaos wrote:
The music should be all that counts.

Yep, like influential basslines, guitar works and thrash metal lyrics which don't treat about 'lessons in violence'. Look at the Master of Puppets tribute album from 2006. I guess those bands were influenced by MoP at least by little. Just like Metal Church, Paradox, Kat etc.
bloodredchaos wrote:
That doesn't have anything to do with the list, but I just wanted to explain why I don't really contribute here much.

Point taken.

Anyway, I hope that you guys like the list as a whole a bit more than a previous one :parrot:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:49 pm 

Sherick wrote:
Ah they did Sabbath covers? Shit I didn't know that! That changes everything.

You're welcome. Glad I could help you out there.

Quote:
Of course they're Sabbath-influenced, they are doom metal after all. But the idea that they are a throwback of some kind, music firmly and totally rooted in pre-Priest metal is equally silly.

Is that what I wrote?

I believe this was the statement from MJ7 that I quoted "Did heavy metal after NOTB, Powerslave, RtL and MoP sounded like Paranoid album or rather like Maiden+Metallica combined?" Now where did he say anything about Priest in there?

I believe that I wrote "Depends on the band. Candlemass came after and they sound more like Paranoid." Now if I wrote something different, feel free to C&P the quote.

Allow me to clarify for your insignificant mind. [It] depends on the band. Candlemass came after [NOTB, Powerslave, RtL and MoP] and they sound more like [the] Paranoid [album than like Maiden+Metallica combined].

Once again, glad to be of assistance.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:51 pm 

Point taken. I wasn't speaking straight from MJ7's argument myself, but that there is plenty of Priest/Maiden/NWOBHM influence in there on the Sabbath groundwork.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:34 pm 

I still dont get why popularity is here, instead of something like...originality.

Anyone else think Wasted Years shouldnt be here? I'm sorry but this cutesy sing-along stuff is not what Maiden were about.

Thank GOD they got rid of that style quick...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:58 pm 

Because if I released the most original album you'd ever heard and it sounded like complete shit and a few people hated it and everyone else never heard it, would that make me a great artist?

Originality's importance is handled in influence.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:36 pm 

Hellhammer- Triumph of Death should be on this list.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:29 pm 

Nesquik wrote:
Because if I released the most original album you'd ever heard and it sounded like complete shit and a few people hated it and everyone else never heard it, would that make me a great artist?

Originality's importance is handled in influence.

Good one Sigmund.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:16 pm 

MJ,
Whatever minor quibbles I may have with the list, you've done a great job in general. Must be a bitch to rank 100 metal songs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:17 pm 

...that being said,
You dont think Symptom Of The Universe should be higher? At least above Phantom Of The Opera?
While it's probably my favorite Maiden song, it simply wasnt as important, or even as popular within metal, as Symptom.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:18 am 

Well played, the compliment wouldn't have been nearly as effective had that all been written in one post :P
I don't think Symptom should be higher than many of the songs above it (Am I Evil?, Aces High, YGATC) personally.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next