DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Metal Songs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:24 am 

Shouldn't Dissident Aggressor be on this list? Pretty intense for it's time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:32 am 

bloodredchaos wrote:
Shouldn't Dissident Aggressor be on this list? Pretty intense for it's time.

Aside its obvious influences to thrash metal it was less successful and less important song in the 70's than, let's say, Sinner. I don't have any playlist from Judas Priest including DA from that time so I suppose it wasn't fan favorite also. In comparison with Exciter, which would be probably removed if I would add DA, popularity and influence to speed metal makes Exciter a greater song.

I thought about adding another song from Judas Priest in the list some time ago but I came to conclusion Hell Bent for Leather, Living after Midnight, Sinner, Dissident Aggressor and Dreamer Deceiver (which is probably my personal favorite from JP) are not as great as songs from 91-100.

List is updated and I think I can call it the final version.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:44 am 

I wouldn't have Master of Puppets ahead of all Black Sabbath songs.
Tracks like War Pigs and Paranoid made the bones of Metal.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:39 am 

War Pigs maybe. Paranoid not so much.

Dissident Aggressor should be on this list. Sinner is also a pretty gay song.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:18 pm 

Fuck you guys. All the people who stayed on forum overrate Black Sabbath and underestimate Metallica. I'm curious which song is mentioned most often when it comes to name main influence on young guitar players. I would like to know how many people are starting playing metal today because of War Pigs and how many would say that the one and only is Master of Puppets. I'm just curious. Don't you?

List is updated.

Nesquik wrote:
Dissident Aggressor should be on this list.

Instead of what?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:16 pm 

MJ7 wrote:
Fuck you guys. All the people who stayed on forum overrate Black Sabbath and underestimate Metallica. I'm curious which song is mentioned most often when it comes to name main influence on young guitar players. I would like to know how many people are starting playing metal today because of War Pigs and how many would say that the one and only is Master of Puppets. I'm just curious. Don't you?

List is updated.

But at the same time, the bands before Metallica were not influenced by Metallica. The fact that Sabbath influenced bands that would prove to be influential themselves should be taken into account.

It's like saying Scream is more important than Psycho because more kids watched that one.

Anyway, I stayed away from most of the arguments here, because I'll never really personally agree with it, and I don't think I really understand the criteria here, either. It just looks like a bunch of random "hits". I think Bruce-era Iron Maiden and post-RTL Metallica are two of the most overrated things in metal, and even though most kids start with MOP (though it's more likely the s/t that people hear first) its influence is rarely as obvious as Priest's, Exodus's, Sabbath's or Slayer's. Anthrax, Heathen, and Overkill are the only ones that come to mind (and unsurprisingly their Metallica influenced albums are much weaker than what came before).

Last edited by Woodgod on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:18 pm 

Dissident should definitely be here. Arguably the first real thrash song, and not just because it was an influence to Gayer.
That riff is so heavy it makes Iommi sound tame in comparison...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:19 pm 

bloodredchaos wrote:
MJ7 wrote:

List is updated.

But at the same time, the bands before Metallica were not influenced by Metallica. The fact that Sabbath influenced bands that would prove to be influential themselves should be taken into account.

It's like saying Scream is more important than Psycho because more kids watched that one.

Yes, well-said. I dont see how MJ can underrate SABBATH, of all metal bands....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:48 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
Dissident should definitely be here. Arguably the first real thrash song, and not just because it was an influence to Gayer.

That first real thrash song wasn't put in JP playlists, wasn't popular back in time and it came from the least respected JP album from 70's (excluding Rocka Rolla). Calling Slayer gay is funny tho :lol: What would you take out from the list in exchange to DA?
bloodredchaos wrote:
The fact that Sabbath influenced bands that would prove to be influential themselves should be taken into account.

Sure, but that doesn't matter much. At least everyone agrees Metallica is greater than Diamond Head.
bloodredchaos wrote:

There is an important difference between those situations. That 'kids' about whom I was talking about are making metal music. 'Your' kids don't make films.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:55 pm 

Quote:
That first real thrash song wasn't put in JP playlists, wasn't popular back in time and it came from the least respected JP album from 70's (excluding Rocka Rolla).

It has since BECOME a fan favorite, the reason they didnt play it much is because it's a very demanding vocal performance, especially the intro scream. Black Sabbath (the song) wasn't popular when it came out either, does that stop it from a high placement?

Quote:
Calling Slayer gay is funny tho :lol:

Thank you.

Quote:
What would you take out from the list in exchange to DA?

First one that comes to mind is Wasted Years. Yes, it's was popular, big deal. It has virtually no influence. Especially since many people considered that album a step down from their previous stuff (though I personally love it).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:39 pm 

One more thing:
bloodredchaos wrote:
I think Bruce-era Iron Maiden and post-RTL Metallica are two of the most overrated things in metal

Did heavy metal after NOTB, Powerslave, RtL and MoP sounded like Paranoid album or rather like Maiden+Metallica combined?
bloodredchaos wrote:
its influence is rarely as obvious as Priest's, Exodus's, Sabbath's or Slayer's

Most of the bands after 80's played more similar to IM than to bands you mentioned. Pokolgép, Turbo, Grim Reaper, Sortilege, even today's Slough Feg sound like Maiden. Maybe should I mention their influence to power metal? Or prog metal? And by the way, half, if not more, bands influenced by Exodus are influenced by the same amount by Metallica.
bloodredchaos wrote:
It just looks like a bunch of random "hits"

Did you expect to see World Circus by Toxik because of its glorious riff and influence to technical metal? Or Messiah by Hellhammer? It's influence to extreme metal is undeniable. But these songs themselves aren't as impactful as 'hits'. Wasted Years made much more impact on metal scene than any underground song out there. And the word 'random' is out of the place here.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:18 am 

MJ7 wrote:
One more thing:
bloodredchaos wrote:
I think Bruce-era Iron Maiden and post-RTL Metallica are two of the most overrated things in metal

Did heavy metal after NOTB, Powerslave, RtL and MoP sounded like Paranoid album or rather like Maiden+Metallica combined?

Depends on the band. Candlemass came after and they sound more like Paranoid.

Depends on the genre. Zeppelin was more influential on glam than Sabbath was. Heep & Purple were more infuential on Prog and Power than Sabbath was.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:46 am 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Yep, just like Sabbath

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd9OJe60JWg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:14 am 

bloodredchaos wrote:
I think Bruce-era Iron Maiden and post-RTL Metallica are two of the most overrated things in metal...

1) During the 80s, Bruce-era Maiden is responsible for 6 classic albums in a row.

2) If you said post-AJFA 'tallica, you might have a stronger argument.

Whether it is Master or Powerslave, it is hard to over-rate 10 of 10.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:42 am 

Sherick wrote:

That song happens to be the opening track from their 88 album Acient Dreams. Please help me out a remind me, what was the closing track...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next