DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Final Fantasy Thread
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:42 pm 

boo boo wrote:
Just because a series has a fuck up every now and then doesn't mean it's doomed to eternal failure, Jesus Christ people.

A 100% miss rate does tend to imply that, though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:50 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
X - awesome
XII - awesomer
RW - very good
X-2 - bleh
TA2 - very good
Dissidia- good
XIII - meh
XIV - bleh+

Not an awful record if you don't count Crystal Chronicles, which I don't.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:39 pm 

I've never played VII or anything after but the 8 bit and 16 bit games are excellent.

I'm so behind the times lol.

Forgotten Son wrote:
boo boo wrote:
Just because a series has a fuck up every now and then doesn't mean it's doomed to eternal failure, Jesus Christ people.

A 100% miss rate does tend to imply that, though.

Aren't you supposed to be a moderator? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:18 am 

Not of this section. And I'm still allowed opinions.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:28 am 

boo boo wrote:
I've never played VII or anything after but the 8 bit and 16 bit games are excellent.

I'm so behind the times lol.

You should play them. As far as I'm concerned, the Final Fantasy series basically starts at 7 and ends at 10.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:42 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
STILL NEEDS VII

Wondering if I can find a torrent somewhere...

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:13 pm 

As much as I love FF, I personally haven't enjoyed the FF games a whole lot since IX or X (the story in that game really saved it for me).

I tried installing XI for my PC, but it wasn't good enough to play it at the time because of hardware requirements, but when I heard about the whole leveling process of losing exp after lost battles, it kinda turned me off.

XII was alright, but wasn't exactly mind-blowing. I loved the side quests and some of the exploration in it, but the story was kinda blah and generic for me.

I kinda liked XIII at first, but now I kinda don't. I wasn't too put off by the linearity (especially since X was linear for the most part), but one thing that really turned me off was the auto-battle feature. It takes away from the whole strategy of the game imo and I would prefer if that were kept out so then I wouldn't have to resort to it and feel like a cheap @$$. I actually remember playing against that one dragon creature on board Cid's airship (that one back-to-back battle) and I decided to use the auto-battle feature and keep pressing the X button (I had it for PS3 as you can probably tell). While the whole battle took place, I went away from the TV to get dinner all the while pressing that X button. I was away from the TV for about 5-10 minutes, then came back to the TV and the entire battle had just ended and my characters were in near-perfect condition @_@! Other than that, the story started out decent but then became dull and boring .

I never played XIV, but I heard it sucked @$$. I also heard because of it that Square Enix are struggling financially now because of how bad it did.

I at least hope they put out Type-0, Versus XIII, and XIII-2 (I heard Square Enix were actually gonna listen to the fans with this game) before anything worse happens like bankruptcy, because I'd be interested to see how those games turn out.

EDIT: I'm seriosuly questioning XIII-2 now because I saw auto-battle again and raged, but I'll still think about it. Don't think it will be a day-one-buy for me though.

Last edited by dart1001 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:12 pm 

I enjoyed the gameplay in Tactics more than any of the other FF games.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:43 am 

I just spent $60 on a PS1 and Final Fantasy VII, and this may be the best video game I've ever played. I'm at the chocobo catching stage right now.

All of the cutscenes have just been epic, along with Cloud's flashback to his days with Sephiroth. It sucks that I'll have to take a break from it once classes start on Monday.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:50 am 

It seemed like a blessing that it turned out my best friend had an old copy of the Eidos CD-ROMS for that. Unfortunately, playing FFVII on my computer has proved too much of a nuisance for me to continue it :sad: Someday perhaps.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:03 am 

I, like Boobs, still think the older versions were the best ones.

FFIII and FFVI were absolutely awesome old school RPGs...

FFVII still stands the test of time for one of the better modern RPGs that all others must look to.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:39 pm 

It really does. It feels completely fresh to me, which is odd for a game that's almost 15 years old.

My only problem with it is that it looks blocky as hell on my HDTV, so I had to reduce the resolution to make it look better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:00 am 

beaverteeth92 wrote:
It really does. It feels completely fresh to me, which is odd for a game that's almost 15 years old.

My only problem with it is that it looks blocky as hell on my HDTV, so I had to reduce the resolution to make it look better.

Most PS1 era graphics look like somebody smeared vaseline all over your screen.

I have no idea how we thought it looked so amazing in 1997, because it is quite literally painful to watch the polygons clip through each other the way they did...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:38 pm 

Anyone play the Type-0 demo? I lost my PSP recently but downloaded the demo from the Type-0 website so then I can play it when I find it. From what I've seen and heard, it doesn't exactly have the turn-based style of the older ones, but it has more of an action rpg feel to it and I heard it was actually pretty good. I also saw that they were bringing back the world map and airships too and stuff like that.

In fact, I'll put a link here if you want to download it and play it. The demo's all in Japanese just so you know.

The link to download the demo is here:
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/0/download/

If you use the link, scroll down, hit the red button on the bottom-right, then scroll down further on the next page, and click the big red button in the centre of the page. You’ll need firmware 6.39 or above to run the demo and 332 MB of free space on your PSP.

On a side note, I also noticed that FF Versus XIII is FINALLY going into full development after what, 5 years of trailers?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:32 pm 

How does VI compare to VII? I hear VI is incredible, but I'm going to put it off until I finish VII.

By the way, I've played VII for like 30 hours with a guide and I'm finally towards the end of the first disc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next