DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Rock Basslines
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:47 am 

Maybe it's there but I don't see it. Peter Cetera's bass line on Chicago's "I'm a Man" one of the greatest bass lines ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72NMsRyD-6Q

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:42 am 

agreed, love that bassline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:46 am 

I think Ain't No Mountain High Enough is my personal favourite of all of those.

Also, September by Earth Wind and Fire could make an appearance? Classic Funk/Disco bassline.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:27 am 

Been awhile but I couldn't help but see that "Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel (Tony Levin)" wasn't on the list and high up on it at that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:39 am 

Wow, where's "Slow Ride"?

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:39 pm 

Interesting how all you have to do to beat Roundabout for number one is play a simplified, slightly altered version of the Good Times bassline. :lol:

Not knocking the Deaconmeister. He's great. But I find it odd that AOBTD is number one and a bassline like Under Pressure is only #60.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:39 pm 

I still think Roundabout deserves number 1, it is, IMO, without a doubt the best bass line ever. It has enough complexity to blow you away, enough groove to have you, well, grooving, and fits the song perfectly. It's influence and popularity is also extremely high. I'd give it number 1 easily. Under pressure may lack the popularity, but I feel it's a vastly superior bass line to AoBtD

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:12 am 

Under Pressure gets an enormous popularity as well, still not on the level of AOBtD though; anyway this is about the greatest basslines ever not the best ones so AOBtD deserves the first spot imo.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:15 am 

roundabout vs. AoBtD

composition : Roundabout, it's composition is more complex and in my opinion significantly better than that of AoBtD
originality: Roundabout by miles. Good Times pretty much prevents AoBtD from winning.
complexity: Roundabout, hands down.
influence: Tie, I don't know how you could say AoBtD is more influential when they are both two of the most influential bass lines ever.
lasting appeal: AoBtD

It's a sweep for Roundabout, no matter how you look at it, even if you gave composition a tie, roundabout wins.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:46 am 

Yes, we are talking about two of the most influential basslines ever but imo AOBtD still takes it; as for complexity these are definitely two easy basslines, I really don't see anything complex on Roundabout too which is basically the main riff played over and over again.
Composition: as you sayd that could be a tie or a slight edge for Roundabout but it's a very close call.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:55 pm 

They are both easy, but Roundabout is definitely more complex than AoBtD, I don't see how they are even close in complexity, one is like, 5 notes on the same string on two different frets, the other is faster picking, on multiple frets with the same string, with some pull offs, I think Roundabout is definitely more complex, though both are easy

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:54 pm 

Oh c'mon. Roundabout is definitaly more technically demanding than AOBTD (which is something even I can play), sure there are more technical basslines, but they are not as iconic either.

I definitely have to give Roundabout creativity and originality. And also influence, Roundabout was a song that put prog rock on the mainstream map. Nothing sounded like Roundabout when that song came out.

AOBTD just happens to be a good funky bassline that came out at a time when good funky basslines were already pretty well established in popular culture.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:17 pm 

boo boo wrote:
AOBTD just happens to be a good funky bassline that came out at a time when good funky basslines were already pretty well established in popular culture.

Chic

/thread

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:47 am 
I know this is about basslines but goddamn Roundabout is an amazing song. Reminds you of Rush and songs like YYZ. Just awesome skills. I would put Roundabout over Another One Bites the Dust.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:36 am 

D.J. wrote:
Yes, we are talking about two of the most influential basslines ever but imo AOBtD still takes it; as for complexity these are definitely two easy basslines, I really don't see anything complex on Roundabout too which is basically the main riff played over and over again.
Composition: as you sayd that could be a tie or a slight edge for Roundabout but it's a very close call.

you could for once stop being SUCH a fanboy.... its unbearable at times :cheers:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next