It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:37 am 

Thanks !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:24 pm 

Hey I just not long ago picked up a cd from recordings done many years ago by an acoustic blues player and singer by name of Mississippi John Hurt. Wonderful and sublime. He not being on list, has anyone heard of him?

His guitar playing is effortless and with his use of his fingers, it sounds like two guitarists playing. I hear where Jorma Kaukonen must have been influenced in his acoustic hot tuna guitar playing. their styles so similar.

there is stuff on youtube about him. thought I'd share some great acoustic work if anyone interested in checking him out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:07 pm 

zosoman wrote:
Hey I just not long ago picked up a cd from recordings done many years ago by an acoustic blues player and singer by name of Mississippi John Hurt. Wonderful and sublime. He not being on list, has anyone heard of him? His guitar playing is effortless and with his use of his fingers, it sounds like two guitarists playing.

there is stuff on youtube about him. thought I'd share some great acoustic work if anyone interested in checking him out.

I would direct you to the Blues Guitarist thread here on the forum where Mississippi John Hurt is listed at # 32. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:21 pm 

Rick wrote:
zosoman wrote:
Hey I just not long ago picked up a cd from recordings done many years ago by an acoustic blues player and singer by name of Mississippi John Hurt. Wonderful and sublime. He not being on list, has anyone heard of him? His guitar playing is effortless and with his use of his fingers, it sounds like two guitarists playing.

I would direct you to the Blues Guitarist thread here on the forum where Mississippi John Hurt is listed at # 32. Thanks.

thanx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:37 pm 

Sharing a lesson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:49 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:58 pm 

2 friends havin' a good time..........

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:11 pm 

i saw one of my favorite guitarists pierre bensusan at mccabe's last night... <333
his set was 100% new from what he was playing a year ago, he opened with "nice feeling" and ended with another familiar song i can't recall the name of, but in the middle included a lot of newer songs (most of which he co-wrote with his wife) plus "sentimental pyromaniacs". he has some of the most unique and unusual phrasing of anyone i've ever heard (i think it has to do with him being entirely self-taught) and that makes listening to him such a refreshing experience.
ps: i took my guitar teacher with me, he was in awe, and afterwards couldn't believe when i told him pierre started out as a folk guitarist, as his playing now is so informed by jazz and other things.
well, anyway, this is one my favorite pierre videos...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:29 pm 

I might have to add to my list.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:32 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tz76wZh ... re=related

phenomenal chops for such a young age

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:10 pm 

rockvirtuoso wrote:
andrew york is classical. robbie basho and jerry reed are far too low, how can they be behind someone like joni mitchell?

After many months of listening to Robbie Basho, specifically 'Guitar Soli' and 'Venus in Cancer'
I've made some changes to the list.
Thanks to rv for arguing on behalf of Mr Basho. Another great musician lost too soon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:13 am 

yeah basho is an under appreciated genius. startlingly similar career to hedges in that they were both extraordinarily unique and pioneering, both moving away from solo guitar to other instruments to enhance their compositions as their careers were cut short haplessly around the same time.
check out the little piece zarthus too if u havent. some great playing there

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:53 pm 

i don't know if i have mentioned this, but i am friends with a guy who was a student of basho's and who shared the stage with him in the 70s, and this past december have met with and taken a lesson with him. he's as big an expert on basho's playing and songs as anyone, but he is continuing to develop and promote the style basho started, and is working on his first solo album now.

he did an interview recently for a website, the full transcript is here: http://workandworry.com/?p=1378

Quote:
First of all, meeting and studying with Robbie came at a perfect time in my life, when I was going wild (in college, it was the 60’s with lots of radical politics, drugs and booze), and had gotten way off-base. For me, all this was almost certainly a mask over a severe deep depression. I had heard his albums, but it was when I first heard him in person that the force of his personality really opened up the inner meaning of his music for me. I called him up the next day and asked if he took on students. We agreed to meet, and I would show him what I was up to (mostly playing Fahey tunes, and a lot of folk and bluegrass). As an afterthought, he asked if I did any kind of drugs, “because I don’t teach anybody who is doing any kind of dope.” To my dying day, I will remember looking down at the second hand of my watch sweep through the next minute, and answering truthfully, “No, I don’t.” God clearly knew what the perfect carrot was to entice me back to a proper path! This may actually have saved my life. It certainly restored me to something like sobriety, and helped me get my feet back on to the spiritual path.

Robbie was not a good teacher. The basics of his techniques are relatively simple, and he never spoke of his own process or gave any ideas of how to develop one’s own ideas. I think I only studied with him for about 6-8 months. I was already a very competent guitarist when I came to him, and I shared his passion for world music (I had been a passionate fan of Ali Akbar Khan since 1964) and the spiritual journey as well. Maybe if you were already there and understood the process of improvising, he would be good to jam with.

But he had an extreme “gravitas” about him. If you have never been around someone who is obsessed with their art, or their ideas, or whatever, it is hard to get a sense of how far beyond the pale that can take one. Robbie was like that. He was so incredibly focused on the vision within, to the exclusion of all else. One day, he started talking about how it was necessary to conserve your energy, so as to stay focused on the vision within. He said, “For instance, you’ll notice I hardly every look at you directly,” (I had not really thought of it until he said it, but it was true), “because your energy goes out to whatever you are looking at.” He then did shift his gaze slightly until he was looking directly into my eyes, and it felt like someone had taken the palm of their hand and rammed me in the chest with it. Perhaps the story can be somewhat discounted because I was younger, clearly smitten with Robbie’s spiritual vision and musical talent, and predisposed by my own inner journey. But it still may stand as a metaphor for how he conducted his life, and what set him apart from other people.

He told me once, laughing, about the last ordinary job he had tried, working as a stock clerk. He thought it was hilarious that he would always end up just sitting down in the back whenever a musical idea came to him, and trying to write it out. I don’t think he even had a driver’s license: this is how far off the ordinary grid he was. So as a consequence of his absorption in his vision, and his lack of ordinary world skills, he tended to use the people around him as vehicles, stringing together rides and help where he could get it. Robbie was “eccentric” in the extreme; anyone who knew him will admit it. But that eccentricity was grounded in a spiritual passion and joy that really sets him apart.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:05 am 

I have 6 and 12 String Guitar but can't find any other Leo Kottke albums online. Does anybody have any links to some other good stuff from him? I didn't know where else to ask...

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:58 pm 

Tudwell wrote:
I have 6 and 12 String Guitar but can't find any other Leo Kottke albums online. Does anybody have any links to some other good stuff from him? I didn't know where else to ask...

Greenhouse
One Guitar, No Vocals
Instrumentals, The Best of The Capitol Years
Mudlark
My Feet Are Smiling
Ice Water
Best Of
all excellant.

all available at Amazon.com on CD
and over 250 mp3's also

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next