DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Cartoons
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:43 pm 

Assuming Seth Mcfarlane actually DID do something innovative or influential at some point in his career, he did it on Family Guy. American Dad and The Cleveland shows are shitty repackagings of that show, and are both way less popular.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:20 pm 

boo boo,

Check the second page. I already started a new version, and the rough draft of the Top 100 is there. I'll move it to the front page shortly.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:58 am 
Human wrote:
Assuming Seth Mcfarlane actually DID do something innovative or influential at some point in his career, he did it on Family Guy. American Dad and The Cleveland shows are shitty repackagings of that show, and are both way less popular.

You have no idea how wrong you are sir. You can say that about The Cleveland Show but not about American Dad. The humor on American dad is much smarter than Family Guy. Look at the critic reviews for the last 20 or 30 Family Guy episodes....most of them are mixed to negative reviews while American Dad is getting good reviews. Cleveland show is a spinoff....American Dad is a whole different show made by the same people. Please tell me what shows were influenced by Family Guy because I don't see it. Family Guy is more popular because it's been around longer and sure younger kids will like it more. South Park seems way less popular compared to Family Guy but it's a much better show. it's like saying Bieber is better cause he's more popular.

Family Guy is NOT very original. It uses the blueprint from The Simpsons....a mom, a dad, a son, a daughter, a baby and a dog.....the dad drinks beer....Simpsons/King of the Hill....Peter can be a bit vulgar/offensive at times...Eric Cartman...he's fat....Homer is overweight.

Not much originality with Family Guy. The Simpsons creators have accused them of this. American Dad has an alien and a fish as 2 of it's main character's and no family dog. It's a completely different show. Roger and Stan are both better and funnier character's than Peter or Stewie as of right now. American Dad is what Family Guy should of been. A lot of kids and teens love Family Guy while us older and more mature people prefer American Dad.

Of course...my opinions......suck it if you don't like it. :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:03 am 
:facepalm:

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:01 am 

Family Guy vs American Dad

Critical acclaim - Family Guy
Popularity - Family Guy
Influence - Family Guy
Impact - Family Guy
Innovation - Family Guy
Cultural Significance - Family Guy

KO

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:05 am 

Lol, pretty much, as much as I like American Dad.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:53 am 

Toki Wartooth wrote:
South Park seems way less popular compared to Family Guy but it's a much better show. it's like saying Bieber is better cause he's more popular.

South Park has consistently been one of the highest rated basic cable shows. Family Guy does better in the ratings because it's on Fox.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:33 am 
Master of the Universe 2008

In critical acclaim, South Park murders Family Guy

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:42 am 
Chemical Ali wrote:
In critical acclaim, South Park murders Family Guy

Hell yeah it does!

What I meant by Family Guy being more popular is that it's on FOX and there's a lot of kids that watch it and in today's society, shows like South Park aren't stupid and cheesy enough to be extremely popular anyway. lol

Critical acclaim.....American Dad wins.....at least these days it does. I can't count how many times a Family Guy episode got mixed to negative reviews. I don't like the direction Family Guy has went in. The animation is better than before but some of the comedy in the show has been taken out.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:15 pm 

Toki Wartooth wrote:
You have no idea how wrong you are sir. You can say that about The Cleveland Show but not about American Dad. The humor on American dad is much smarter than Family Guy. Look at the critic reviews for the last 20 or 30 Family Guy episodes....most of them are mixed to negative reviews while American Dad is getting good reviews. Cleveland show is a spinoff....American Dad is a whole different show made by the same people. Please tell me what shows were influenced by Family Guy because I don't see it. Family Guy is more popular because it's been around longer and sure younger kids will like it more. South Park seems way less popular compared to Family Guy but it's a much better show. it's like saying Bieber is better cause he's more popular.

Jump to less conclusions please, I had only stated that IF any of Seth's shows could get credit for influence it'd basically have to be family guy. I could care less about acclaim, so you may be right about that criteria, but I'd say it's a sweep as well.

http://mytimemattersblog.com/family-guy-evolution Not a great case there either, but you know.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:19 pm 

Zach wrote:
boo boo,

Check the second page. I already started a new version, and the rough draft of the Top 100 is there. I'll move it to the front page shortly.

Many of the things I talked about still need to be addressed.

I'll probably make my own attempt at a list eventually.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:04 am 

Suggestions/Opinions:
Avatar needs to move up. Only ONE spot above Dora? Really?
Ren and Stimpy should be top 10 probably.
Futurama and Pokemon could switch places.
Not much of an anime fan, but shouldn't NGE be higher?
Astro Boy and Dexter's Lab could move into the top 50.
Explain Jimmy Neutron > FOP. I'd think FOP would be higher, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Cartoons (Under Revision)
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:32 pm 

I probably agree with all of that. And I addressed Evangelion already and how it should be much higher than it is.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:08 pm 

I definitely agree on Ren & Stimpy for the top 10, it just shouldn't be behind Family Guy. It loses in popularity but that's it. Ren & Stimpy is the show that brought demented animation to television and made it popular. It's the reason we have the kind of tv cartoons we have today.

TMNT is too high, as it's a show that attributes it's success to it's brand power and tie ins to action figures more than anything. Definitely shouldn't be above Gumby or Yogi Bear.

Woody Woodpecker, Betty Boop and Felix the Cat are all too low. Those were all pioneers in animation, if Looney Tunes, Golden Age Disney, Tom & Jerry and Popeye make the top 10 they should at least make the top 20.

They're all animation icons, still familiar with a lot of people who have never even seen their shorts.

Tex Avery's MGM shorts have to make this list as well, and also the top 20 I think. Those shorts were really groundbreaking in their edgy humour and they truly define the cartoon when taken to it's most whacky extreme. There is no single person who was more influencial on the direction animation took in the 1940s than Tex Avery.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:42 pm 

Great points made by everyone, and I agree with virtually all of it -- particularly boo boo's case that cartoon classics such as Betty Boop, Felix the Cat, and Woody Woodpecker should be much higher. Top 20 sounds about right.

Also:

*Ren & Stimpy will probably make the Top 10.
*Family Guy will drop a few spots, as it does lack in innovation and influence.
*Avatar, Evangelion, and Astro Boy will all rise significantly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next