It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Rock Vocal Albums
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:30 am 

Location: God doesn't love us because we're good, He makes us good because He loves us.
Great looking list. Let's get this up to 50 so we can put it on the main site.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:39 am 

Wooooohoooo, it will be on the main site! :parrot:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:41 am 

Wanted Dead Or Alive wrote:
Wooooohoooo, it will be on the main site! :parrot:

:dance: :parrot:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:50 am 

actually, let's not have another Dio album so close to his previous , as also with Dickinson......

Painkillers a definite addition esp with the influence factor....

lets get some newer names in.....

i like the inclusion of Labrie....I think Tool's Lateralus or Aenima could make it....and I think instead of Keep the faith (though the best album vocally) a bigger album with more influence like New jersey or SWW should be added.....

I'd also add a Cream album in there, Jack Bruce seems to be a lot more influential than we give him credit for.....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:53 am 

Yousha wrote:
and I think instead of Keep the faith (though the best album vocally) a bigger album with more influence like New jersey or SWW should be added.....

Those albums aren't actually bigger. Keep the Faith was a multi-platinum seller just like New Yersey and Slippery When Wet and Jon's singing is much more powerful in that album. The influence shouldn't count the album in alone, especially when it's really close between those albums. IMO Keep the Faith is the best bet by Bon Jovi in terms of singing. (The album had tons of hits and definitely isn't unknown) Jon also became much more respected as a singer after Keep the Faith where he really showcased his chops.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:55 am 

Painkiller's not there???
Get that one right away!

Yeah, SWW could maybe be the better choice. Tim, I know KTF sold many records, but it doesn't have the fame or acclaim that SWW and NJ have, hell, Bon Jovi even lost some fans there because KTF was a clear change in direction.

If you add a Cream album, I think Wheels Of Fire is the best vocally...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:59 am 

Yeah, SWW could maybe be the better choice. Tim, I know KTF sold many records, but it doesn't have the fame or acclaim that SWW and NJ have, hell, Bon Jovi even lost some fans there because KTF was a clear change in direction.

*Couch* Doesn't have fame or acclaim? Definitely not true, critics loved the album and it's got some of their biggest hits of their career.

And Bon Jovi earned MANY new fans with their new direction, "Bed of Roses" made girls crazy just like he had did earlier. Also, many people found Bon Jovi because they were more standard rock and weren't "untrendy fluffy-glamheads". They easily filled stadiums and the world tour was HUGE!

I know Slippery has "Livin' on a Prayer", "Wanted Dead or Alive" and "You Give Love a Bad Name" but this should also count singing abilities: Jon's singing technique and high notes have improved A LOT in Keep the Faith and he showcases much better constinency singing them live too. Also, his low register has seriously improved in the album and he showcases it in some of the songs. That moment Jon divorced from the reputation of 'fluffy-glamhead' and became a powerful, true rock singer!

Really, Keep the Faith has great amount of popularity to make into the list, I'll fight about it 'til the end! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:07 am 

Yes, critics loved it and many glam-haters loved it. And I loved it. Still it wasn't such a hit album like SWW. Bon Jovi was a glam band before KTF so most of their fans were glam-lovers. Some of them were dissapointed with their new direction, I have friends who think that Bon Jovi lost it on KTF.
Singing abilities count, but it's not like he wasn't a beast on SWW and NJ!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:17 am 

Yes, critics loved it and many glam-haters loved it. And I loved it. Still it wasn't such a hit album like SWW. Bon Jovi was a glam band before KTF so most of their fans were glam-lovers. Some of them were dissapointed with their new direction, I have friends who think that Bon Jovi lost it on KTF.
Singing abilities count, but it's not like he wasn't a beast on SWW and NJ!

He was always a beast! :biggrin: But still, Keep the Faith is the direction where they started to think about the vocals and tried to make them as good as possible. SWW and NJ were more concentrated on being a hit records with BJ chilling out (they still have great songs and all). Keep the Faith started to show their classic rock-influences and they made awesome vocal harmonies with Richie Sambora and David Bryan. Keep the Faith also features much more versatile vocals, better produced vocals and all. The vocals are the main standpoint on the album along with the guitar, it just has more vocally.

Also, most of the songs in Keep the Faith are more vocally demanding than SWW and NJ: It has really soft singing, powerful chest-voice and mixed singing. Jon showcased his lows really well in few of the tracks. Keep the Faith also has most of the perforamnces from 'top 10 performances of Jon Bon Jovi', the album is filled with great vocals.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:28 am 

Yeah, I must agree with all that, so KTF for the list then?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:31 am 

Yeah, I must agree with all that, so KTF for the list then?

I'm voting for that one because it is the essential BJ-vocal album!

Same with Revolver by The Beatles, it has tremendous influence but With the Beatles has maybe even huger influence than that. Still, Revolver has much better vocals and is the better choice for the list. Influence alone isn't all! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:39 am 

true it isnt...you dudes are the Jovi experts, he's a good enough vocalist to have a top 50, thats for sure....

also , for top 50 , Aerosmiths 1st album ?? I know Dream on's a huge vocal song , but dont know much about the band on the albums....we need to add newer people, what makes this list so good is the diversity, lets try and keep it that way....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:42 am 

Don't know much about Aerosmith... But Tyler was much better vocally during their commercial period...

Still can't believe Painkiller's not there...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:50 am 

yeps, think it should have been higher.....higher than the last 5 names of the 30s certainly....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:58 am 

Painkiller definitely belongs here!

Steven Tyler's best vocal albums are Pump or Get a Grip!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next