It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Rock Lyrical Performances
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:37 pm 

i hope people realize that when i first made this list, i was a 17 year old kid who arbitrarily picked a few favorites at that time from each of the major lyricists and a few famous ones and just threw them up on a list. the whole thing needs scrapped and re-done lol.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:50 am 

Armored Fist wrote:
I do like Ambulance Blues a lot, even though I don't honestly know what it means. But I was thinking songs like Crime in the City, Needle and the Damage done, and Powderfinger. Good call though.

And where is 3 Libras?

The whole of the albums of On the Beach are about Neil's struggle and discomfort with fame: "And though my problems are meaningless, it don't make them go away." Though I think the album is actually more positive than I thought at first, there are a lot of references to his life getting better.

I think Ambulance Blues is maybe not about one thing in particular, but a collection of stories, of his life and the political changes of the 60s and 70s, a bit like Van Morrison's "Madame George." The final verse is definitely a reference to Nixon btw. It has some amazing lines in it nonetheless.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:42 pm 

Yeah, Ambulance Blues reminds me of a lot of Dylan's work that way...when viewed as a series of images, not directly linked with one another but still forming an overarching theme, makes a lot more sense. Like D-Row.

Speaking of old Van, why isn't more of his stuff on here? "Astral Weeks", "Sweet Thing", and "Cypress Avenue" all deserve to at least make an appearance on this list, and that's just from Astral Weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:59 pm 

O Children or Easy Money are shu-ins for Cave's top ten, if that helps anything. Same could be said for O'Malleys Bar and Kindness Of Strangers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:59 pm 

Armored Fist wrote:
Yeah, Ambulance Blues reminds me of a lot of Dylan's work that way...when viewed as a series of images, not directly linked with one another but still forming an overarching theme, makes a lot more sense. Like D-Row.

Speaking of old Van, why isn't more of his stuff on here? "Astral Weeks", "Sweet Thing", and "Cypress Avenue" all deserve to at least make an appearance on this list, and that's just from Astral Weeks.

I'd personally put Beside You first from that album, i think..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:17 pm 

Jestercide wrote:
Armored Fist wrote:

I'd personally put Beside You first from that album, i think..

The whole album has incredible lyrics, and yet not one track is on here. I call travesty.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:58 pm 

absolutely is. Its probably his best lyrical album.... from stuff as abstract and intense as Astral Weeks.. through your general love song Sweet Thing.. dark, jazzy love song on The Way Young... and immaculate story telling in Madame George and Ballerina.. plus the INCREDIBLE simplicity of Slim Slow Slider..
Its pretty much a top ten lyrical album in terms of greatness.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:02 pm 

Agreed. Moondance was good for what it was, but Astral Weeks is the ultimate Van Morrison album for me.

Van is underrated on this list. As are many. And some are overrated - being a Bruce fanboy, I'm not even sure My Hometown, Lost in the Flood, or Streets of Philadelphia should be one here. Or half the solo Lennon stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:50 am 

I agree about Astral Weeks and I like some of yoour Nickl Cave picks, I'd also add Song of Joy.

I actually think that Cave is pretty much the greatest storyteller ever, can't really think of any who can top him.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:31 pm 

Is anybody editing this list? I'll take it up if no one else wants it...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:52 pm 

Avery_Island wrote:
I agree about Astral Weeks and I like some of yoour Nickl Cave picks, I'd also add Song of Joy.

I actually think that Cave is pretty much the greatest storyteller ever, can't really think of any who can top him.

Lou Reed maybe? Him or Dylan. Dylan is INCREDIBLE as a storyteller IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:56 pm 

Avery_Island wrote:

Do you have some examples of his best storytelling? I've never really heard much of him.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:40 am 

vankush wrote:
Avery_Island wrote:

Do you have some examples of his best storytelling? I've never really heard much of him.

Song of Joy
O'Malley's Bar
The Mercy Seat
The Ballad Of Robert Moore And Betty Coltrane
Papa Won't Leave You, Henry
Stagger Lee
The Carny
The Curse of Millhaven
City of Refuge
Oh My Lord
Darker with the Day

Off the top of my head, I haven't listened to him in ages though, so I've probably forgotten a lot of them.

I really don't understand any of the choices for Nick Cave lyrics on the list currently though. "Babe I'm on Fire" is just him listing a bunch of people essentially who say he's one fire? "Into My Arms" is just bleh. "Red Right Hand" is a pretty standard song lyrically. "Tupelo" is good, but I still think he's done better. Any of the listed above + more I'd have of any of the 4 Cave songs on the list atm.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:14 am 

Avery_Island wrote:
Listening to Everybody Knows now, I didn't know it was about AIDS, wow, it certainly gives it incredible resonance knowing that. I agree it should be top 10.

I'm not sure if it was a global ad but Everybody Knows was used in Australia as a campaign for quitting smoking. It works very well in that context too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:50 pm 

Having just been discussing it on the Neil Young thread, I can't believe "Thrasher" isn't on here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next