Nate Diaz 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Vladimir Matyushenko 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Alexander Gustafsson 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Nam Phan 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Jim Hettes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15
 Post subject: UFC 141
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:17 pm 

The main event should be fireworks... there's just no way it'll be anything but. The ultimate striker vs grappler matchup!!

The rest of the card lacks for big names, but I think all the fights should be top-notch.

My picks are Overeem, Fitch, Cerrone, Matyushenko (definitely voting with my heart here), and Phan... though, as usual, I wouldn't be in the least surprised by different results (except for Cerrone's, who I think is a clear notch above Nate Diaz).

Post subject: Re: UFC 141
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:31 pm 

George wrote:
except for Cerrone's, who I think is a clear notch above Nate Diaz

Really? I think thats the most evenly matched fight on the card. Both guys have sick striking and great jiu-jitsu, id give cerrone the edge in the striking and nate the ground advantage, id say cowboy is the slight favourite but its a super close fight imo should be the best fight on the card i believe.

Main event is really hard to pick since the new overeem hasn't faced anyone of brock's caliber, while overeem does have good submissions and a good top game hes never been great off his back and if brock gets him there it could be big trouble for alistair especially given his weak chin. Overeem obviously has the advantage in the standup and clinch game though brock has landed big shots on heath herring and couture, if he connects on alistair he could ko him. Ill pick the reem by tko from a knee but its a tentative pick. The other fights ive got hendricks outstriking fitch to a decision, gustafsson tkoing the janitor, nam phan by decision (though i dont know much bout his opponent other than he has sick submissions). The undercard has plenty of great matchups on there too like nunes/gamburyan, escudero/volkmann, dhk/pierson etc.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:43 pm 

the way my picks have fared so far tonight, i expect lesnar to ko overeem with a headkick... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:01 am 

Jesus, some of the worst head movement/basic punch defense I've ever seen from Cerrone. What the FUCK.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:27 am 

damn... what a shame about Brock... i've never liked him but he's a heck of an entertaining fighter... he'll be missed :sad:

Cigano vs Overeem will be amazing - the two greatest heavyweight strikers in the history of MMA... i'm guessing Cain is next in line (after he dispatches mir), and gets his title back from Cigano... mark my words (even though this is definitely not my night for making predictions). :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:37 am 

Brock will probably go back to WWE now. And I will welcome him back to it with open arms.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:30 am 

I think brock was mentally destroyed coming into the fight, he looked totally frozen in front of alistair and that shot he went for looked weak compared to his usual beastly takedowns. Usually he comes out super aggressive early in his fights which is why i had thought he might have a shot as alistair doesnt fight well when he is being pushed back. I think the long lay off and the horrible surgery he had really took it out of him, i believe that no athlete has ever come back from the surgery he had. Like george said, im not a huge brock fan really but he puts on great fights and fought a number of super tough guys very early in his career, you have to respect him for that.

Cowboy/Diaz was insane, two of my favourite fighters slugging it out. I must of said 'holy shit' or 'oh shiittt' at least 20 times while watching it, cowboy has a ridiculous chin which got him through to the final bell. His head movement was really poor but that seems to happen a lot to guys who get overwhelmed by the diaz bros, bj penn has great head movement but when he fought nick he was basically a punching bag for the last 2 rounds. Im glad i called hendricks on the upset but it sucked seeing fitch get ko'd like that, he is boring as hell to watch but i like the guy for the fact that he has got by on pure hard work and little natural talent, i also think he deserved a title shot 2 fights ago and now he'll have to win another 10 fights straight before he is even a contender again. Kinda funny that he took down poor steve mazaggati after he got ko'd :lol: Btw jim hettes is an absolute monster, nam phan is a tough dude and hettes just decimated him. Definitely a future contender at featherweight.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:34 am 

Yeah I was really surprised by the lack of confidence on Brock's face before the fight started. At first I thought he was intimidated by Overeem, but then I remembered the surgery.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:26 pm 

i do wonder if/how brock would have been different as a fighter had he not been ridden with diverticulitis.