DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: 300 Greatest Artists of Popular Music
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:01 pm 

The Man wrote:
If we are going by sales, then yes, I would agree. What criteria are you using, if I may ask? Obviously popularity is the number one factor, but what else are you taking into consideration?

Initial and lasting popularity, influence.

Someone like Robert Johnson had little, if any, initial popularity, but his records are still selling and being talked about 75 years later, and he's had lots of influence, as opposed to someone like Ben Selvin, who had great initial popularity but little lasting popularity or influence. It's difficult to find the right mix, but I think the list is pretty decent now, as compared to what it loooked like before the revision.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:05 pm 

If we're counting sales, why is Meat Loaf no where on here? Bat out of Hell is one of the best-selling albums of all time.

Also no George Michael?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:11 pm 

beaverteeth92 wrote:
If we're counting sales, why is Meat Loaf no where on here? Bat out of Hell is one of the best-selling albums of all time.

Also no George Michael?

It's an artist list, not an album list. Other than that one album, Loaf hasn't really done much of significance.

I show George Michael with three big albums over an 8 year period, but nothing much in the past 20 years. Does he have some sort of inlfuence that is significant, beyond having a lot of hit records in the 1980s?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:45 pm 

Bruce wrote:
The Man wrote:
If we are going by sales, then yes, I would agree. What criteria are you using, if I may ask? Obviously popularity is the number one factor, but what else are you taking into consideration?

Someone like Robert Johnson had little, if any, initial popularity, but his records are still selling and being talked about 75 years later, and he's had lots of influence, as opposed to someone like Ben Selvin, who had great initial popularity but little lasting popularity or influence. It's difficult to find the right mix, but I think the list is pretty decent now, as compared to what it loooked like before the revision.

In Satch's favor, he is probably the single most influential popular musician of the 20th century. No exaggeration. Sales hurt him but I think he beats the others above him in everything else

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:26 pm 

The Man wrote:
Bruce wrote:
The Man wrote:

In Satch's favor, he is probably the single most influential popular musician of the 20th century. No exaggeration. Sales hurt him but I think he beats the others above him in everything else

I'd say Elvis and the Beatles are much more influential than Armstrong, especially when it comes to influence beyond just the music.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:27 pm 

Kanye West just made his debut on the list.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:28 pm 

The Man wrote:

And that's why he's in the top ten despite not being even close to being among the top 100 artists in popularity.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:09 pm 

So Bruce, are you in charge of this now?
Very interesting list, great stylistic variety.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:26 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
So Bruce, are you in charge of this now?
Very interesting list, great stylistic variety.

Yes.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:41 am 

get into it bruce, keen to see your changes, at first glance at this list seems to be just thrown together without too much thought or fact, but is just a list, im not sure what gauges are being used to determine where an artist is placed.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:54 am 

Bruce wrote:
The Man wrote:

And that's why he's in the top ten despite not being even close to being among the top 100 artists in popularity.

even in lasting popularity? i just remember being a kid in elementary school and learning about Louis Armstrong as if he were the first person to ever play music or something. idk if that is cultural impact or lasting popularity or what it is. but it has to count for something that every kid learns about him and Elvis in history class.

plus without looking at any charts, i would make an educated guess that any Louis Armstrong comp that has been released in the last 2 decades has sold more than any of his peers. in fact, i'm not sure how many of his peers regularly receive compilation releases every year to begin with.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:44 am 

pave wrote:
Bruce wrote:
The Man wrote:

even in lasting popularity? i just remember being a kid in elementary school and learning about Louis Armstrong as if he were the first person to ever play music or something. idk if that is cultural impact or lasting popularity or what it is. but it has to count for something that every kid learns about him and Elvis in history class.

plus without looking at any charts, i would make an educated guess that any Louis Armstrong comp that has been released in the last 2 decades has sold more than any of his peers. in fact, i'm not sure how many of his peers regularly receive compilation releases every year to begin with.

I don't think he's charted an album since "Hello Dolly" in 1964, which was #1 for 6 weeks. I wonder how many artists have had their last chart album hit #1 and then never make the album chart again.

I don't think nay of his albums in the last two decades has come close to selling as many as the Robert Johnson Complete Recordings, which went platinum.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:40 am 

Bruce wrote:
pave wrote:

I don't think he's charted an album since "Hello Dolly" in 1964, which was #1 for 6 weeks. I wonder how many artists have had their last chart album hit #1 and then never make the album chart again.

The Millenium Collection: The Best Of Louis Armstrong hit number 192 in 2000; Ken Buns Jazz: The Definitive Louis Armstrong his number 142 the following year. Those were his only two albums to chart after Hello Dolly.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Bruce wrote:
I don't think nay of his albums in the last two decades has come close to selling as many as the Robert Johnson Complete Recordings, which went platinum.

It might depend on who is considered a peer of Armstrong. Johnson might not be, since he came along 10 years later.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:49 pm 

Bruce, Madonna is too low.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next