DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 300 Greatest Artists of Popular Music
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 am
Posts: 7410
Location: New Jersey
The Man wrote:
If we are going by sales, then yes, I would agree. What criteria are you using, if I may ask? Obviously popularity is the number one factor, but what else are you taking into consideration?


Initial and lasting popularity, influence.

Someone like Robert Johnson had little, if any, initial popularity, but his records are still selling and being talked about 75 years later, and he's had lots of influence, as opposed to someone like Ben Selvin, who had great initial popularity but little lasting popularity or influence. It's difficult to find the right mix, but I think the list is pretty decent now, as compared to what it loooked like before the revision.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 300 Greatest Artists of Popular Music
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:09 pm
Posts: 1162
If we're counting sales, why is Meat Loaf no where on here? Bat out of Hell is one of the best-selling albums of all time.

Also no George Michael?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 300 Greatest Artists of Popular Music
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 am
Posts: 7410
Location: New Jersey
beaverteeth92 wrote:
If we're counting sales, why is Meat Loaf no where on here? Bat out of Hell is one of the best-selling albums of all time.

Also no George Michael?


It's an artist list, not an album list. Other than that one album, Loaf hasn't really done much of significance.

I show George Michael with three big albums over an 8 year period, but nothing much in the past 20 years. Does he have some sort of inlfuence that is significant, beyond having a lot of hit records in the 1980s?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 300 Greatest Artists of Popular Music
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:29 pm
Posts: 1090
Location: Louisville, KY
Bruce wrote:
The Man wrote:
If we are going by sales, then yes, I would agree. What criteria are you using, if I may ask? Obviously popularity is the number one factor, but what else are you taking into consideration?


Initial and lasting popularity, influence.

Someone like Robert Johnson had little, if any, initial popularity, but his records are still selling and being talked about 75 years later, and he's had lots of influence, as opposed to someone like Ben Selvin, who had great initial popularity but little lasting popularity or influence. It's difficult to find the right mix, but I think the list is pretty decent now, as compared to what it loooked like before the revision.


In Satch's favor, he is probably the single most influential popular musician of the 20th century. No exaggeration. Sales hurt him but I think he beats the others above him in everything else


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 300 Greatest Artists of Popular Music
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 am
Posts: 7410
Location: New Jersey
The Man wrote:
Bruce wrote:
The Man wrote:
If we are going by sales, then yes, I would agree. What criteria are you using, if I may ask? Obviously popularity is the number one factor, but what else are you taking into consideration?


Initial and lasting popularity, influence.

Someone like Robert Johnson had little, if any, initial popularity, but his records are still selling and being talked about 75 years later, and he's had lots of influence, as opposed to someone like Ben Selvin, who had great initial popularity but little lasting popularity or influence. It's difficult to find the right mix, but I think the list is pretty decent now, as compared to what it loooked like before the revision.


In Satch's favor, he is probably the single most influential popular musician of the 20th century. No exaggeration. Sales hurt him but I think he beats the others above him in everything else


I'd say Elvis and the Beatles are much more influential than Armstrong, especially when it comes to influence beyond just the music.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 300 Greatest Artists of Popular Music
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 am
Posts: 7410
Location: New Jersey
Kanye West just made his debut on the list.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 300 Greatest Artists of Popular Music
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 am
Posts: 7410
Location: New Jersey
The Man wrote:
In Satch's favor, he is probably the single most influential popular musician of the 20th century. No exaggeration. Sales hurt him but I think he beats the others above him in everything else


And that's why he's in the top ten despite not being even close to being among the top 100 artists in popularity.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 300 Greatest Artists of Popular Music
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 13920
So Bruce, are you in charge of this now?
Very interesting list, great stylistic variety.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 300 Greatest Artists of Popular Music
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 am
Posts: 7410
Location: New Jersey
Negative Creep wrote:
So Bruce, are you in charge of this now?
Very interesting list, great stylistic variety.


Yes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 300 Greatest Artists of Popular Music
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:04 am
Posts: 4655
Location: planet X
get into it bruce, keen to see your changes, at first glance at this list seems to be just thrown together without too much thought or fact, but is just a list, im not sure what gauges are being used to determine where an artist is placed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 300 Greatest Artists of Popular Music
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:54 am 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:51 pm
Posts: 8139
Location: the undiscovered country
Bruce wrote:
The Man wrote:
In Satch's favor, he is probably the single most influential popular musician of the 20th century. No exaggeration. Sales hurt him but I think he beats the others above him in everything else


And that's why he's in the top ten despite not being even close to being among the top 100 artists in popularity.


even in lasting popularity? i just remember being a kid in elementary school and learning about Louis Armstrong as if he were the first person to ever play music or something. idk if that is cultural impact or lasting popularity or what it is. but it has to count for something that every kid learns about him and Elvis in history class.

plus without looking at any charts, i would make an educated guess that any Louis Armstrong comp that has been released in the last 2 decades has sold more than any of his peers. in fact, i'm not sure how many of his peers regularly receive compilation releases every year to begin with.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 300 Greatest Artists of Popular Music
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 am
Posts: 7410
Location: New Jersey
pave wrote:
Bruce wrote:
The Man wrote:
In Satch's favor, he is probably the single most influential popular musician of the 20th century. No exaggeration. Sales hurt him but I think he beats the others above him in everything else


And that's why he's in the top ten despite not being even close to being among the top 100 artists in popularity.


even in lasting popularity? i just remember being a kid in elementary school and learning about Louis Armstrong as if he were the first person to ever play music or something. idk if that is cultural impact or lasting popularity or what it is. but it has to count for something that every kid learns about him and Elvis in history class.

plus without looking at any charts, i would make an educated guess that any Louis Armstrong comp that has been released in the last 2 decades has sold more than any of his peers. in fact, i'm not sure how many of his peers regularly receive compilation releases every year to begin with.


I don't think he's charted an album since "Hello Dolly" in 1964, which was #1 for 6 weeks. I wonder how many artists have had their last chart album hit #1 and then never make the album chart again.

I don't think nay of his albums in the last two decades has come close to selling as many as the Robert Johnson Complete Recordings, which went platinum.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 300 Greatest Artists of Popular Music
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:40 am 
Offline
moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 3841
Bruce wrote:
pave wrote:
plus without looking at any charts, i would make an educated guess that any Louis Armstrong comp that has been released in the last 2 decades has sold more than any of his peers. in fact, i'm not sure how many of his peers regularly receive compilation releases every year to begin with.


I don't think he's charted an album since "Hello Dolly" in 1964, which was #1 for 6 weeks. I wonder how many artists have had their last chart album hit #1 and then never make the album chart again.


The Millenium Collection: The Best Of Louis Armstrong hit number 192 in 2000; Ken Buns Jazz: The Definitive Louis Armstrong his number 142 the following year. Those were his only two albums to chart after Hello Dolly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 300 Greatest Artists of Popular Music
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:00 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:52 pm
Posts: 2600
Bruce wrote:
I don't think nay of his albums in the last two decades has come close to selling as many as the Robert Johnson Complete Recordings, which went platinum.


It might depend on who is considered a peer of Armstrong. Johnson might not be, since he came along 10 years later.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 300 Greatest Artists of Popular Music
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:00 am
Posts: 2019
Bruce, Madonna is too low.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:

DigitalDreamDoor.com   

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

DigitalDreamDoor Forum is one part of a music and movie list website whose owner has given its visitors
the privilege to discuss music and movies, and has no control and cannot in any way be held liable over
how, or by whom this board is used. If you read or see anything inappropriate that has been posted,
contact webmaster@digitaldreamdoor.com. Comments in the forum are reviewed before list updates.
Topics include rock music, metal, rap, hip-hop, blues, jazz, songs, albums, guitar, drums, musicians...


DDD Home Page | DDD Music Lists Page | DDD Movie Lists Page