DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2021 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 135  Next
 Post subject: Re: 150 Greatest Rock Drummers
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:59 am 

ClashWho wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:
Baker is always the one that's given credit for bringing it into a rock setting.

Wrong.

"You’re forgiven if you think Ginger Baker and Keith Moon were the first double bass drummers."

drummagazine.com

I guess you conveniently missed the part about Louie Bellson being primarily a JAZZ drummer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:04 am 

Negative Creep wrote:
ClashWho wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:
Baker is always the one that's given credit for bringing it into a rock setting.

Wrong.

"You’re forgiven if you think Ginger Baker and Keith Moon were the first double bass drummers."

drummagazine.com

I guess you conveniently missed the part about Louie Bellson being primarily a JAZZ drummer.

The point is that Ginger Baker and Keith Moon are frequently given dual credit for bringing it to rock.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:33 am 

And Baker utilized it in SO many more ways than Moon, rather than just "going nuts" with it.

Dude, I don't want you to get the wrong idea here. Keith Moon is among my top 5 favorites of all time easily. Live At Leeds blows my mind into another dimension (the whole band, but especially Keith's drumming).
When I say he has "horrible" and "limited" technique, I'm not really bashing him because I LOVE that style of playing. But to say he's an artist on par with Peart or Bonham (let alone Bruford) is just factually wrong.

Last edited by Negative Creep on Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:36 am 

Negative Creep wrote:
And Baker utilized it in SO many more ways than Moon, rather than just "going nuts" with it.

Irrelevant. Giving Keith Moon zero credit for innovation is wrong.

Negative Creep wrote:
When I say he has "horrible" and "limited" technique, I'm not really bashing him because I LOVE that style of playing. But to say he's an artist on par with Peart or Bonham (let along Bruford) is just factually wrong.

I think he's more of an artist than any of them. A genious, really. You can't teach what he did.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:59 am 

The reason you can't teach it is because it was all instinctual, with no musical approach and not much emphasis on anything besides sheer power. Plus it was mainly his delivery, his antics, and his overall persona behind the kit that made him who he was. It was just as much about the showmanship as it was about the drumming.
That was never the case with Peart or Bruford (or to a lesser extent, Bonham).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:13 am 

Negative Creep wrote:
The reason you can't teach it is because it was all instinctual, with no musical approach and not much emphasis on anything besides sheer power.

I think the notion that there's no musical approach is wrong. Keith Moon did think about what he did. How can you listen to something like "A Quick One While He's Away" and say there's no musical approach? Or "The Ox" or "I Can't Explain" or "I Can See For Miles" for that matter. You can't listen to "Underture" and tell me all he's going for is sheer power.

Negative Creep wrote:
Plus it was mainly his delivery, his antics, and his overall persona behind the kit that made him who he was. It was just as much about the showmanship as it was about the drumming.

You can't see the showmanship when you're playing the records. It's not Keith's showmanship blowing you away on Live at Leeds. It's just the drumming.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:34 am 

Quote:
I think the notion that there's no musical approach is wrong. Keith Moon did think about what he did. How can you listen to something like "A Quick One While He's Away" and say there's no musical approach?

Of course he thought about what he did. Hell, even a novice drummer who's never played before has to CONSCIOUSLY think about what they're doing. That goes for any instrument. You have to focus and realize and be alert of what's at your disposal.
But that's not what I'm talking about. When I say "no musical approach", I simply mean that he didn't have much discipline, dynamics, or versatility. Everything was just loud and up-front and in-your-face. It's like the difference between Eddie Van Halen and Jeff Beck. Do you understand what I'm saying?

Quote:
You can't listen to "Underture" and tell me all he's going for is sheer power.

Well, kind of. His drums are VERY loud and prominent in that song, they definitely stand out as a lead instrument.

Quote:
You can't see the showmanship when you're playing the records. It's not Keith's showmanship blowing you away on Live at Leeds. It's just the drumming.

I said the showmanship was mainly what made him legendary in general. More so than his "technique", that's for damn sure.
On the studio records, you can't see the showmanship, but you can hear his sloppy, primitive technique (which I still love).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:21 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
Of course he thought about what he did. Hell, even a novice drummer who's never played before has to CONSCIOUSLY think about what they're doing. That goes for any instrument. You have to focus and realize and be alert of what's at your disposal.

Keith Moon wasn't focussed and alert and aware? Watch Isle of Wight again. That's a very focussed and alert drummer.

Negative Creep wrote:
But that's not what I'm talking about. When I say "no musical approach", I simply mean that he didn't have much discipline, dynamics, or versatility. Everything was just loud and up-front and in-your-face. It's like the difference between Eddie Van Halen and Jeff Beck. Do you understand what I'm saying?

Negative Creep wrote:
ClashWho wrote:
You can't listen to "Underture" and tell me all he's going for is sheer power.

Well, kind of. His drums are VERY loud and prominent in that song, they definitely stand out as a lead instrument.

Are you going by memory, or did you actually just listen to it?

Negative Creep wrote:
I said the showmanship was mainly what made him legendary in general. More so than his "technique", that's for damn sure.

He's a legendary rock drummer for his drumming. His technique is WHY his drumming is so impressive. He didn't play like anyone else.

Negative Creep wrote:
On the studio records, you can't see the showmanship, but you can hear his sloppy, primitive technique (which I still love).

Keith Moon was not sloppy. You can hear a few accidental rimshots on Quadrophenia. That's it. Tommy and Who's Next are impeccable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:39 pm 

Seriously, I'm getting a fucking migraine here, it's obvious that you just flat-out don't know what you're talking about.
Your arguments are based entirely on personal bias that has obviously clouded every bit of common sense within you.
CRJ has made at least like THREE detailed posts that explain everything perfectly. You naturally ignored or misconstrued most of it, and your rebuttals were laughable at best.

Seriously, it's done and over with.
The more you keep bringing it up, the easier it is to tell that you're trolling.

So ramble on about Keith Moon's marvelous technique and his impossible drum lines.
Everyone who knows better will choose to ignore you and continue with a real discussion.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:42 pm 

ClashWho wrote:
His technique is WHY his drumming is so impressive. He didn't play like anyone else.

You completely misunderstand drum terminology, his technique is not why his drumming was impressive, you consider technique, playing style, writing, and feel are all the same thing, they are not.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:44 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
CRJ has made at least like THREE detailed posts that explain everything perfectly.

Like hell. He thinks anyone can play just like Keith Moon after one year of training.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:47 pm 

Classic Rock Junkie wrote:
ClashWho wrote:
His technique is WHY his drumming is so impressive. He didn't play like anyone else.

You completely misunderstand drum terminology, his technique is not why his drumming was impressive, you consider technique, playing style, writing, and feel are all the same thing, they are not.

Keith Moon has a technique. Just because it's not traditional drum technique does not mean it isn't a technique. You're doing the equivalent of looking at a Jackson Pollock painting and saying that Jackson Pollock has no technique. Of course he does. It's just not traditional technique.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:43 pm 

EDIT: I'm just feeding at this point since nothing I say is getting through to him so just ignore it and we're done on the Moon subject. Ariel do you have questions/complaints with Blaine vs. Ringo? Paice vs. Lombardo is going to be on the table and not set in stone but for now we will move on. I'm fine with the current top 20 so now the question is if we add Gadd where do we put him?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:48 pm 

Classic Rock Junkie wrote:
I'm fine with the current top 20 so now the question is if we add Gadd where do we put him?

Your butt.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:14 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2021 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 135  Next