It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2021 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 135  Next
 Post subject: Re: 150 Greatest Rock Drummers
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:58 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
And if you would care to remember, we already gave influence to Lombardo and Aldridge still comes out on top.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:35 pm 

I think we agreed that Aldridge gets originality and innovation quite easily.
Who would you say gets creativity?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:18 pm 

I'd go Aldridge. I also think Carey beats Lombardo?

Lombardo vs. Carey:

Influence: Lombardo by leaps and bounds
Innovation: Lombardo by leaps and bounds
Originality: Carey
Creativity: Carey
Skill: Carey
Stylistic Versatility: Carey

Since earlier on I said I would stand by going by our criteria and not the 'intangibles', Carey's 4 to 3 victory is similar to Peart's to Moon, and thus I'd have to yield to Carey as is for consistency, unless anyone else feels Lombardo takes a single one of the other criteria.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:56 pm 

Lombardo takes originality. Carey was a genius but he built on Bruford, Bozzio and Bonzo. No one had ever sounded like Lombardo before he came along. I'm not just talking the crazy fast double bass, I'm talking more specifically the fills and accompaniment in Slayer's work generally from 1988 to 1990. And isn't stylistic versatility fairly close?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:05 pm 

Ariel wrote:
Lombardo takes originality. Carey was a genius but he built on Bruford, Bozzio and Bonzo. No one had ever sounded like Lombardo before he came along. I'm not just talking the crazy fast double bass, I'm talking more specifically the fills and accompaniment in Slayer's work generally from 1988 to 1990. And isn't stylistic versatility fairly close?

closer but I'd still give it to Carey. I'll wait for more opinions on originality, yes the double bass was original but I'm not going to say super original, not anywhere near as original as Carey's whole style. There's more to Lombardo than his double bass, but not sure if beats carey. I'm find for having him ahead if anyone has more sound arguments for Carey losing in one of those criteria

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:28 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Carey, no doubt. The main thing that sets Lombardo apart from those that came before was speed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:41 pm 

Nah, the main thing was Lombardo's general style of accompaniment and fills. Listen to anything off South of Heaven or Seasons and it'll be abundantly clear, he doesn't sound like a token thrash drummer, he grew up being influenced by Latin American music and it shows in his style. That's what made him sound different from all the other 80s thrash drummers, they all had fast (though he had the fastest) double bass, what made him stand out was his style. That's what he's famous for among most music listeners, not his double bass speed which intrigues drummers but most non drummers don't worry about things like that. His style of accompaniment and fills, his 'lead drumming' brilliance is why he's STILL considered the man in metal drumming, if he were just a speed demon he'd have been forgotten as a footnote long ago 'oh yeah he was fast, that really fast guy, right?' No it's the style stupid. This is also why Silent Scream is on the performances list, some earlier mod must have put it up there because it shows his STYLE very concisely and well, it's a brilliant performance...the double bass in that song isn't faster than in Angel of Death, it's not like AOD is his only song on the performances list which it would be if he were just notable for his speed or for inventing a new speedy approach to double bass. Or Seasons in the Abyss, also on the performances list, a SLOW song at that

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:58 am 

"Slow" is not the way I would describe his playing on Seasons in the Abyss or Silent Scream at all.
I know his style wasn't all about speed, I'm generalizing a bit. But whenever you hear anyone in the metal scene praise Lombardo, it almost always, 99% of the time comes down to speed. He wasn't known for his grooving or his compositional abilities.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:25 am 

Yeah, I guess it depends on whether you want to give significant weight to influence and innovation, and using that logic they might be dead even.

But yeah personally I'd like to see Carey ahead of him.

Has Carey/Aldridge been attempted yet?

Influence - Aldridge
Originality - Tied (Aldridge more for techniques, Carey more for overall style)
Innovation - Aldridge by far
Skill - Carey by far
Creativity - Carey
Versatility - Carey

?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:18 am 

I gave Aldridge originality before (or eve if they tie) you get:

Influence: Aldridge
Innovation: Aldridge
Originality: Tie
Creativity: Carey
Skill: Carey
Stylistic Versatility: Carey

So it's 4 vs. 4 with the winner of influence being ahead, so Aldridge beats Carey.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:34 pm 

I think you miscounted. It's not 4-4, by that it's 3.5 - 2.5 in favor of Carey.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:12 pm 

where are you getting .5? And why is that in favor of Carey? So confused. If influence is worth 2 points how does aldridge, who also gets innovation and I tied for originality end up at 2.5? Everything but Influence is worth 1 point, though points aren't really a fair justification, I like to say it this way: The winner of the most single criteria wins, however influence is worth twice as much as any other criteria. In the case of a tie, the winner of influence is the winner.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:27 pm 

Ah I see, I forgot you were counting influence as two points. :oops:

So we've got...

11. Purdie
12. Aldridge
13. Carey
14. Lombardo
15. Appice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:37 pm 

I'm plenty good with that. Next up gets tough, I'd go:

Palmer (who if I knew more about, may beat Appice, if anyone wants to add, Palmer has potential from what I know to move quite a bit up actually, like ahead of Lombardo up but I don't know enough about him to say anything), then probably Copeland/Porcaro (both can go either way, way too close), Benjamin/Ward. Actually, those 4 can pretty much be mismashed in tons of orders, though I think Copeland and Porcaro have better credentials.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:47 pm 

Yeah I think Copeland, in particular, scores better all across the board than any of those other candidates. From what I've heard (not a lot, mind you), Porcaro is pretty lacking in creativity/originality/innovation. Could be wrong though.

I don't know a lot about Earl either.
Research time!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2021 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 135  Next