DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Most Skilled Drummers
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:18 am 

I know I'm not a drummer, but...

I absolutely think adding limb independence as a criterion is a must.

Adding brushes into the criteria somehow is a MUST too. I'm sorry, it's part of the instrument's core repertoire, and a distinguished part of the modern drum set's history and use. It is NOT comparable to playing drums with socks (lol). Ignoring brushes playing would cause this list's title to be disingenuous imo.

For what it's worth, I'm strongly in favor of adding tom work AND snare work as additional criteria.

One of you (CRJ?) said recently that the current criteria favor rock/metal guys because of the excessive focus on things like speed and footwork. I'd tend to be inclined to agree.

Why is uniqueness (another word for creativity, i.e. irrelevant to SKILL) even a criterion here?

I'm looking forward to seeing this list 'mature'...(which isn't to say it's bad right now, the top couple dozen is actually pretty awesome in terms of ordering it seems to me)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:35 am 

top 20 is nearly unchangeable IMO, I think they are the absolute 20 most skilled drummers, and their placement seems fine so far. After that we have the right top 40, needs rearranging. After that this list gets confusing as all hell.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:31 pm 

I'm still pretty confident Portnoy can't do a thing Jojo couldn't with a doublebass pedal but more conservatively at least Jimbo should be ahead of him, probably still Roddy too.

I think the list looks great till about 50 where it starts getting a bit more questionable (Hoglan over Novak for instance)... and then after 70 I basically only know a couple of those guys at all. Not exactly sure how the new criteria would effect many individual placements yet either.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:55 pm 

Human wrote:
I'm still pretty confident Portnoy can't do a thing Jojo couldn't with a doublebass pedal but more conservatively at least Jimbo should be ahead of him, probably still Roddy too.

I think the list looks great till about 50 where it starts getting a bit more questionable (Hoglan over Novak for instance)... and then after 70 I basically only know a couple of those guys at all. Not exactly sure how the new criteria would effect many individual placements yet either.

I agree Jojo and Jimbo are definitely better than portnoy. I don't know most of the guys on the lower list either. I really wish The Jew were here to help clarify some things

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:21 pm 

Maybe send mrsamtotheg a pm and tell him to come back and chip in? I'm serious.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:04 pm 

I'll take a look at a few at the top of the bottom of that section of the list just for relativity's sake.

What I did see wasn't wildly impressive though. We could probably knock a lot of them off if we really tried

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:35 pm 

So is this list being worked on or...? (Generally, I mean)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:02 pm 

outside of top 40, no. It's way too hard to work on now considering I don't know more than half the list and I know plenty that I think are more skilled than some of the list making it very hard to accurately compare without knowledge. I'm trying to move down slowly but since we are reworking the main list (rock one) then I think we should focus on that for now

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:47 pm 

... from 1973 ... Take care

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:50 pm 

What's the best Colaiutta stuff with Frank Zappa?
Cause I've been listening to Joe's Garage and so far haven't been really impressed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:50 pm 

its like you not being impressed by black page :razz:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:29 pm 

I'm impressed by things that are musically appealing. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:32 pm 

in that case, you not being impressed by something like central scrutinizer makes no sense..... he doesnt need to go all crazy to be effective, one knows how crazy skilled vinnie is seeing his clinics and drum solos and stuff. but what really really makes Vinnie and Gadd stand out(from the little ive heard) is that they know exactly how much to put in to fit with the song, and THAT is the sign of a true great drummer. and HENCE, Mike Portnoy is shit..........(not really, just wanted to say it.....)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:24 pm 

I may need to just listen to it again, it's definitely one of those albums that takes more than one listen to appreciate.

Vinnie just owns everyone, overall, though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:38 am 

R.I.P. to any drummer who thinks they can top this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQLejjKH ... re=related

My face melted..... :eek:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 44  Next