DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Most Skilled Bass Players
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:05 pm 

I gotta check out Out of the Sun again, haven't listened to it a lot because I never thought it was among Tafolla's better albums, but tastes change. Also have a few bootlegs from the Trilogy tour, but as far as I can recall, Voss didn't have any bass solos. He did do a great job, and with him in the band, Yngwie did one of the best tours of his career. Soto was back on vocals, Yngwie was ripping it up like nobody's business, and the setlist was stellar. Didn't hurt to have the Johansson brothers on keys and drums, either.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:13 pm 

Ariel wrote:
Classic Rock Junkie wrote:
Is Stuart Hamm really number 6? Like better than Tony Levin? I had no idea.

From what people tell me, yes.

Tony's probably the best tapper/independent-voices player ever. He also is very skilled on the electric bass, Stick, upright, AND cello, and is proficient with a bow. His bends are godly as are his slides (probably the best slides by any bassist ever, and certainly any rock bassist I'm familiar with). Then add to that things like the funk fingers.

Hamm is one of the 'big three' famous shredders of the contemporary age, with Wooten & Sheehan, and is the weakest of those three technically. But his facility with chords is god-like, he's an exceptional slapper AND tapper and is good fingerstyle, with an exceptional left hand. One of the best tappers/independent-voices player (though not a Levin).

I dunno. Bassfreak, who admitted himself he didn't know Levin that well, suggested back in the day that Levin was 'a hair' beyond Claypool (uhh), and a bit behind a Hamm. I don't know if he was right. I think the facility Levin has on the Chapman Stick is so impressive given it's a dual hand tapped instrument that it personally impresses me more than Hamm's semi wankery.

beaver who is that dude?!

Played for Yngwie on one tour and did one album with Joey Tafolla. Wikipedia says he has a single solo album but I haven't been able to find anything on it.

Also Yngtchie, can you upload some of those bootlegs? And are they soundboard or audience?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:17 pm 

Check YouTube for Trilogy live footage, or see if you can find them on Dime.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:27 pm 

Can't seem to find much from the actual tour

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:37 pm 

beaverteeth92 wrote:
Can't seem to find much from the actual tour

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cyi4aN9Kfc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1T8qVO4W8c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7fKyYBcvgk

And here's "Eternity's End" from Out of the Sun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoOGfxaOLNE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:20 pm 

Ariel, do you think this guy could go on the list: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqR8Y2s3q38?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:10 pm 

My word what an outstanding musician, might end up in the top 100 greatest bassists list, I'm very impressed.

In terms of tech skill he'd easily make a top 100 man. Double thumbing a la Wooten, sophisticated chording, very dexterous left hand, and tapping. I'd say his right hand in terms of everything it can do and cleanly is on par with Claypool.

Limiting it to rock he'd demolish most players in skill. Who's better? Levin; Sheehan; Hamm; maybe Claypool (probably); DiGiorgio; Choy? (probably); Patterson?; Myung? (probably); I'm inclined to say he's significantly better than Flea or Trujillo.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:48 pm 

Ariel wrote:
My word what an outstanding musician, might end up in the top 100 greatest bassists list, I'm very impressed.

In terms of tech skill he'd easily make a top 100 man. Double thumbing a la Wooten, sophisticated chording, very dexterous left hand, and tapping. I'd say his right hand in terms of everything it can do and cleanly is on par with Claypool.

Limiting it to rock he'd demolish most players in skill. Who's better? Levin; Sheehan; Hamm; maybe Claypool (probably); DiGiorgio; Choy? (probably); Patterson?; Myung? (probably); I'm inclined to say he's significantly better than Flea or Trujillo.

yeah he's kinda nuts, my roommate showed me him, he seems to me absolutely obscene, but wanted to check with you first before I blow things out of proportion with my lack of bass knowledge, but I haven't seen someone do something like that since Wooten

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:48 pm 

Im impressed evan is very talented and underrated many underground bassists, drummers, and guitars players from all over the world can play like the top skilled guys just soo hard finding them all. Theres always a young Victor Wooten or a Paul Gibert or Steve Gadd out there just not many ever surface.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:16 pm 

Threw evan upp there at 29 for now please give more input im sure the top 20 is good but below could have some debate its hard to say.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:21 pm 

Dont think evans left hand is upp to par with the top 20 too 25 but his tapping slapping and chords are great plus i havent seen much of him

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:37 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5omFFeLEXFE this is what i mean by good left hand, tapping n slapping is cool but what billy is doin in this video is insane his arpeggios speed n precision are on some god like shit lol, but i wish more people were on im a drummer n been busy with other drum forums and my own drumming deff need some more bass guys too give input.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:34 pm 

lobones wrote:
Im impressed evan is very talented and underrated many underground bassists, drummers, and guitars players from all over the world can play like the top skilled guys just soo hard finding them all. Theres always a young Victor Wooten or a Paul Gibert or Steve Gadd out there just not many ever surface.

Very true. Go to youtube, it's amazing.

lobones wrote:
Threw evan upp there at 29 for now please give more input im sure the top 20 is good but below could have some debate its hard to say.

Mmm let's see. The top 10 looks pretty sick. 10-20, I highly doubt Alex Webster is quite at that level (aside from pure speed what does he have? still uber skilled either way though)...who are Rev Jones and Jimmy Johnson? Good names by and large. 20-30...never heard of Rufus Philpot but I commend your knowledge of these somewhat obscure guys :smile: . Also not sure who Bunny Brunel is but I've heard the name, I suck haha. No idea how skilled Matt Garrison is. Don't know Lenny Breau, Marc Egan, Jimmy Earl. Aside from these names I don't know the other names in 20-29 are very skilled dudes. Does McBride even play electric? I'll say this Evan Brewer is definitely top 50. Top 30 might be slightly high but I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:32 pm 

lobones wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5omFFeLEXFE this is what i mean by good left hand, tapping n slapping is cool but what billy is doin in this video is insane his arpeggios speed n precision are on some god like shit lol, but i wish more people were on im a drummer n been busy with other drum forums and my own drumming deff need some more bass guys too give input.

Billy might be the most skilled bassist ever. It's absurd and defies belief.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:32 pm 

Jerry Watts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next