DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Most Skilled Bass Players
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:46 pm 

:freak:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:46 am 

What? Ellefson?
He's alright, I just don't see anything about him that makes him stand out.
Decent enough player.

That short little solo in Chosen Ones is fucking awesome though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:29 pm 

Well this is a skill list, if you don't think he's skilled you need to pay more attention to his playing! I think he's in the running for most skilled pickstylist ever actually. Hangar 18 is punishingly nuts, same with Bad Omen, a lot of stuff generally off Peace Sells and Rust is insanely hard (and awesome!).

Check out his solo in Take No Prisoners! And in Architecture of Aggression. And in Go To Hell. And...that live solo you can find on youtube (just type in 'david ellefson bass solo', its about a minute and a half long)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:39 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Markus Groskopf.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:24 pm 

Best bassist name ever.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:35 am 

Ariel wrote:
Well this is a skill list, if you don't think he's skilled you need to pay more attention to his playing! I think he's in the running for most skilled pickstylist ever actually. Hangar 18 is punishingly nuts, same with Bad Omen, a lot of stuff generally off Peace Sells and Rust is insanely hard (and awesome!).

Check out his solo in Take No Prisoners! And in Architecture of Aggression. And in Go To Hell. And...that live solo you can find on youtube (just type in 'david ellefson bass solo', its about a minute and a half long)

That really isn't a "solo" in Take No Prisoners, it's more like an "interlude" (not even 5 seconds long).

Thing is, when I'm cranking Megadeth, I'm usually so overwhelmed by the guitars and drums that I don't really pay much attention to the bass.

Did you know that Mustaine actually wrote the bassline to Peace Sells?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:58 pm 

Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
Best bassist name ever.

True dat. Who's Marcus Groskopf?

Negative Creep wrote:
Ariel wrote:

That really isn't a "solo" in Take No Prisoners, it's more like an "interlude" (not even 5 seconds long).

Thing is, when I'm cranking Megadeth, I'm usually so overwhelmed by the guitars and drums that I don't really pay much attention to the bass.

Did you know that Mustaine actually wrote the bassline to Peace Sells?

Ya.

May be an interlude/bass break, but it's a hell of a break! You should check out those other solos I mentioned too

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:03 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Ariel wrote:
True dat. Who's Marcus Groskopf?

Helloween

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:10 pm 

Good bassist, him and Ingo Schwichtenberg made for one badass rhythm section on all the classic Helloween albums. There's a band that could stand more exposure.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:12 pm 

I prefer Loble and Kusch myself.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:05 am 

Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
Good bassist, him and Ingo Schwichtenberg made for one badass rhythm section on all the classic Helloween albums. There's a band that could stand more exposure.

Ingo is so fuggin' underrated. The drumming on "Savage" always kicks my ass...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:31 pm 

Helloween is held in such astonishingly high regard (the Keeper albums, anyway) I really should check them out sometime.

Nothing wrong with that bass playing but didn't blow me away. Then again, wiki seems to think really highly of him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markus_Grosskopf

Also, this looks really REALLY cool http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bassinvaders any of y'all familiar w/ it? Cheers

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:23 pm 

Is Stuart Hamm really number 6? Like better than Tony Levin? I had no idea.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:33 pm 

Holy shit. I can't believe I've never heard of this guy. It's an outright shame he was only on two studio albums...

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:58 pm 

Classic Rock Junkie wrote:
Is Stuart Hamm really number 6? Like better than Tony Levin? I had no idea.

From what people tell me, yes.

Tony's probably the best tapper/independent-voices player ever. He also is very skilled on the electric bass, Stick, upright, AND cello, and is proficient with a bow. His bends are godly as are his slides (probably the best slides by any bassist ever, and certainly any rock bassist I'm familiar with). Then add to that things like the funk fingers.

Hamm is one of the 'big three' famous shredders of the contemporary age, with Wooten & Sheehan, and is the weakest of those three technically. But his facility with chords is god-like, he's an exceptional slapper AND tapper and is good fingerstyle, with an exceptional left hand. One of the best tappers/independent-voices player (though not a Levin).

I dunno. Bassfreak, who admitted himself he didn't know Levin that well, suggested back in the day that Levin was 'a hair' beyond Claypool (uhh), and a bit behind a Hamm. I don't know if he was right. I think the facility Levin has on the Chapman Stick is so impressive given it's a dual hand tapped instrument that it personally impresses me more than Hamm's semi wankery.

beaver who is that dude?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next