DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Rock Bass Performances
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:50 am 

Ariel wrote:
I need to buy Live at Leeds...

Wait, but you HAVE heard it, right?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:59 pm 

Ariel I think this is pretty killing, what do u think? Bass solo around 3:24 as well, but the whole thing is pretty cool fusion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwARUIMl ... re=related

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:00 am 

"Providence" by King Crimson (bass by John Wetton)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:07 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
Ariel wrote:

Believe it or not, no. I'm enjoying Who's Next right now, then I'mma do Who Sell Out, and then I'll jump to Leeds. Looking forward to it

John Wetton is the fucking shit Crip. He's so good. This list is basically defunct right now, but I do encourage people to post good performances or mention them so that when I do start fixing up this list (which will happen after we finish the main list most likely) I have some good suggestions to work with! I don't really mind people discussing random performances on here, but the small topics thread would also be a good place to do that.

CRJ...hahaha that guy looks like Chick Corea...also his bass looks a lot like my main axe these days, neat. Not really into this style of fusion but I AM digging and immersing myself into fusion and fusion bass a lot these days, I love it in general.

Slap guitar woh! That was a sick solo. Really fantastic

Looks like Chick Corea there is playing an 8 string...makes me happy...8 strings deserve a much bigger usership/audience

Holy crap this bass player is awesome. Know his name by chance? This has to be one of the best bass solos I've ever seen or heard, flows so well, I'm very impressed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:41 pm 

Been listening to some of the best tracks for the some of the bassists here, and wondering why that choice is so...
Sound Chaser's great, but not Squire absolute best. I think The Fish might very well be Squire's best bass performance. "Close To The Edge" is fantastic (better than "Heart of the Sunrise", no doubt) but not his BEST performance.
Also, what's up with the positions of "Thela Hun Jinjeet", "Metropolis Pt. 1", "Tempis Fugit", "Money" (Good bassline, but #35?!? A bit lower maybe...), "Starless and Bible Black" ("Starless" kicks its ass), "World Machine" ("Love Games" is much better), and "Holier Than Thou" ("My Friend of Misery" is better in so many ways)? They're all too high, imo.
And Neg, have you heard "The Real Me"????

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:46 pm 

Of course I've heard it. I actually prefer it to My Generation, I just figured MG would be here first because of it's originality and it's importance to making bass more of a 'lead instrument'.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:14 pm 

Ariel wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:
Ariel wrote:

Believe it or not, no. I'm enjoying Who's Next right now, then I'mma do Who Sell Out, and then I'll jump to Leeds. Looking forward to it

John Wetton is the fucking shit Crip. He's so good. This list is basically defunct right now, but I do encourage people to post good performances or mention them so that when I do start fixing up this list (which will happen after we finish the main list most likely) I have some good suggestions to work with! I don't really mind people discussing random performances on here, but the small topics thread would also be a good place to do that.

CRJ...hahaha that guy looks like Chick Corea...also his bass looks a lot like my main axe these days, neat. Not really into this style of fusion but I AM digging and immersing myself into fusion and fusion bass a lot these days, I love it in general.

Slap guitar woh! That was a sick solo. Really fantastic

Looks like Chick Corea there is playing an 8 string...makes me happy...8 strings deserve a much bigger usership/audience

Holy crap this bass player is awesome. Know his name by chance? This has to be one of the best bass solos I've ever seen or heard, flows so well, I'm very impressed.

If you're talking about the japanese guy in my video it's Yoshihiro Naruse. Here's some more by him, find this pretty creative: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU6yUhJJSs0, videos quite out of sync though, but absolutely mind numbingly awesome, what he does with the bass is very impressive to me, some of the most creative playing I've ever heard

Last edited by Classic Rock Junkie on Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:33 pm 

If you are interested in some obscene japanese bassists, here's some more Tetsuo Sakurai:

Slap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzSx2361 ... re=related

Fretting and Finger Picking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9kPyly38Rc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:51 pm 

Ariel,
You have got to be kidding me...you haven't heard Live At Leeds? Here you were so vehemently defending Moon on the drum forum, and you haven't heard his crowning achievement as a drummer? Not to mention the greatest live hard rock album of all time? :freak:

Oh man. You need this in your life. Pronto.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:20 pm 

1:38 onwards. :smile:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:25 pm 

KeithMoonIsGod wrote:
Been listening to some of the best tracks for the some of the bassists here, and wondering why that choice is so...
Sound Chaser's great, but not Squire absolute best. I think The Fish might very well be Squire's best bass performance. "Close To The Edge" is fantastic (better than "Heart of the Sunrise", no doubt) but not his BEST performance.
Also, what's up with the positions of "Thela Hun Jinjeet", "Metropolis Pt. 1", "Tempis Fugit", "Money" (Good bassline, but #35?!? A bit lower maybe...), "Starless and Bible Black" ("Starless" kicks its ass), "World Machine" ("Love Games" is much better), and "Holier Than Thou" ("My Friend of Misery" is better in so many ways)? They're all too high, imo.
And Neg, have you heard "The Real Me"????

Appreciate your feedback :smile: This list (bass performances) is currently defunct, but will be worked on after the main list is worked out (please don't be afraid to comment here though! I'd love more suggestions, it'll help me figure this list out when we get to it). This list though is indeed wack. Bassfreak had some weird biases and blind spots and tried to run this forum with an iron fist back in the day, which led to some badly ordered list areas sometimes.

I am concerned when we do do this list that My Generation will have to be #1 by the criteria despite being not a great performance compared to a lot of other bass performances

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:26 pm 

Who played for Oldfield? And CRJ are either of these Japanese dudes 'rock' or are they fusion generally or what? If we ever make a fusion list, and they're really fusion, I'll have to bear em in mind...was indeed frankly blown away by Naruse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:25 am 

Ariel wrote:
Who played for Oldfield? And CRJ are either of these Japanese dudes 'rock' or are they fusion generally or what? If we ever make a fusion list, and they're really fusion, I'll have to bear em in mind...was indeed frankly blown away by Naruse

yeah I just didn't see a fusion thread but they mainly do fusion, thought both Sakurai and Naruse do funk, jazz, classical, fusion, whatever they want, sometimes just pure rock. Here's him doing some Jaco like stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r48QdRvXJz4

And idk, what do you consider this? Power fusion or funky rock? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRNNM4ucG74
cool solo at 5:04

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:09 pm 

Ariel wrote:
Who played for Oldfield?

His touring bassist was Phil Spalding from GTR (Which makes sense, since he had Max Bacon make a guest appearance on one of his albums that Spalding played on) but all of Mike's studio recordings are typically Oldfield playing everything on the songs. But, I will look up who plays on the track.
Oldfield is a fantastic bassist though. Check out his work on Tubular Bells and Crises!

EDIT: There are two bassists credited on that Mike Oldfield album, and they are Francisco Centeno and Hansford Rowe. Oldfield is not credited for the bass, and it does not specify which bassist plays on the song.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:50 pm 

Classic Rock Junkie wrote:
Ariel wrote:

yeah I just didn't see a fusion thread but they mainly do fusion, thought both Sakurai and Naruse do funk, jazz, classical, fusion, whatever they want, sometimes just pure rock. Here's him doing some Jaco like stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r48QdRvXJz4

And idk, what do you consider this? Power fusion or funky rock? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRNNM4ucG74
cool solo at 5:04

Eventually the all genre thread will become non-defunct and that's where fusion topics could in theory be discussed. For the time being post sick ass non rock performances in the small topics thread I'd say

That's very rock-ish fusion imo. Nice use of effects pedals by the bassist

KMiG everyone says Oldfield is a genius I need to check him out. What is he, rock, electronic, soundtrack-type music? Hmm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next